normiss

Another cop goes free.

catfishhunter

Obtuse-not quick or alert in perception

that's not very acute of you, not right at all, I don't know what angle you're playing here

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

cgriff

Sorry to jump in and potentially derail this, but I'm stuck back on the "untaxed" cigarettes. Was this already covered? How are they untaxed? Did he steal them? If he bought the pack and then sold them individually, they're not untaxed; they're "un-re-taxed".

and the 'community' demands that 're-tax' revenue to revitalize and rejuvenate the mayor's swimming pool......er...I mean our dying neighborhoods

why do you hate social programs?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

since you called the man a racist for quoting the deceased. You said he is racist for saying he said "dis" please tell me what he said and when you have to admit he said "dis" please tell us why it is racist to quote the deceased.

Have I thanked you yet for for insulting the intelligence of every honest person reading dis thread?

Ah! Yez, ah did, ah sho' did dat.

rushmc

3. Garner, 43, had history of more than 30 arrests dating back to 1980, on charges including assault and grand larceny.

One would think that after 30 plus times you he should have known how to play the game. Had Mr. Garner not deviated from his usual game plan, he would have lived to be locked up another day.

Andy9o8

Have I thanked you yet for for insulting the intelligence of every honest person reading dis thread?

Ah! Yez, ah did, ah sho' did dat.

Blatant racism right there.

And I'm wearing a hoodie.
Would you like some skittles to go along with your watermelon beverage?

rushmc

***Here is a link to an article in The Atlantic. It starts out by suggesting that the national reaction and dialog would be different if Eric Garner were white, and the police had been federal agents. :)
Wendy P.

Of course it would be different
Just like the police officer that killed and unarmed black kid in Detroit a couple of weeks ago is viewed differently
Why?

the cop was black
no race pimping can be done so why do it?

And Tea Party crusade?:D:D

Sorry Wendy
that boat dont float

Or like a rancher who was having some trouble with the feds.....oh wait....that was different.

Anvilbrother

Exactly! And to those that say the choke hold is not allowed, there are techniques such as a vascular restraint that looks like your choking the shit out of someone but do not involve the windpipe at all.

The vascular restraint does not look "just like choking".
The LVNR (Lateral Vascular Neck Restraint) puts the bend of the elbow at the front of the neck, so the pressure occurs at the sides of the neck, and not on the airway.

Take a good look where the cops elbow is.
The forearm is compressing the airway.
That is a choking, period.

If the cop was applying a LVNR, his elbow would be directly under the chin.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

rushmc

Ah
he died of a heart attack on the way to the hospital

I'm sure he did.
That is what happens when a person is asphyxiated.

"Asphyxial arrest is cardiac arrest caused by asphyxiation. In contrast to a myocardial infarction, which is a heart attack caused by a lack of blood supply to the heart, an asphyxial arrest is caused by a lack of oxygen in the blood."

Source: http://www.ehow.com/facts_6896625_asphyxial-arrest_.html
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Wonder why they didn't tase him? Of course if they had, and he had died it still would have been an issue.

I'm not to mixed on this one, manslaughter? I don't think it was remotely intentional. I think the "victim" contributed to the situation - this is another damn good example of why I would NEVER be a law officer.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

As a 6'4 320lb person that practices judo, and ju jitsu I have been choked from all angles using clothes, arms, legs, my own arm, hands, etc. I can tell you that is not an effective choke right there, and is not causing any type of severe damage to him.

For size comparison im the guy under the blue stars in the back row, and the guy to the right is usually my uke..

Do you have years of practice being choked out?

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Kingsixx

3. Garner, 43, had history of more than 30 arrests dating back to 1980, on charges including assault and grand larceny.

One would think that after 30 plus times you he should have known how to play the game. Had Mr. Garner not deviated from his usual game plan, he would have lived to be locked up another day.Arrests does not equal convictions. You can get arrested for just hanging around in the wrong place. One consequence of "broken windows" policing is that people get rounded up as a "precaution".

Do you (or anyone) know what Mr. Garner's actual conviction record was? All I am aware of is that at the time of his death he was on probation for selling cigarettes.

Some people have said that you should acquiesce to the police and trust the courts to sort things out. However I can imagine that if I was constantly being hassled in my own neighborhood, arrested and dragged down to the police station on this or that "suspicion", I too might complain. I have read that Mr. Garner was being arrested on a "suspicion" that he "might" have sold cigarettes, but I've seen nothing about the reason for that suspicion. Since it's not illegal to have cigarettes on your person, was he actually observed selling, or was he just being hassled because shopkeepers didn't like him hanging around.

I have never heard of the police being disciplined in any way for arresting people without sufficient cause, so to me saying "don't complain, and let the courts take care of it" rings a bit hollow.

Don

Arrests does not equal convictions. You can get arrested for just hanging around in the wrong place. One consequence of "broken windows" policing is that people get rounded up as a "precaution".

Complete horse shit, you don't get arrested 30 times because you happened to be standing next to someone that got arrested and they picked you up to as a precaution. If your ass gets arrested 30 times your doing something illegal, or hanging around the wrong place while others are doing illegal things. Either way after 30 times you should have started to try to figure out why its happening and change it. Stop coming up with excuses for criminals.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

catfishhunter

************50% at risk...yadda ... = unintelligent response/comment, and totally off point.

What was irrelevant is your suggestion that the guy's physical state is what killed him. He was killed by the cop.

No he died because broke the law. Cause and effect.

Tax evasion is not a capital offense. If it were, a lot of our billionaires would be dead.

I broke the speed limit this morning, and didn't die. Cause but no effect.

He was killed by the cop.

Your flawed again. Being stopped by the police for your crime would be the cause. Effect would be running from the cops, being taken to the ground and dying from a heart attack.

Breaking a law in of itself wont kill anyone just as jumping from a plane wont kill you. But when you die skydiving it is absolutely the cause the led to you dying.

Thought you were a professor?

And "guns don't kill people, people kill people".

In this case overeating didn't kill him. Asthma didn't kill him. Tax evasion didn't kill him. The cop compressed his neck and killed him.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

SkyDekker

******Here is a link to an article in The Atlantic. It starts out by suggesting that the national reaction and dialog would be different if Eric Garner were white, and the police had been federal agents. :)
Wendy P.

Of course it would be different
Just like the police officer that killed and unarmed black kid in Detroit a couple of weeks ago is viewed differently
Why?

the cop was black
no race pimping can be done so why do it?

And Tea Party crusade?:D:D

Sorry Wendy
that boat dont float

Or like a rancher who was having some trouble with the feds.....oh wait....that was different.

On the subject of "different":

Can anyone offer a rational explanation for why the EU and Japan, with combined populations exceeding that of the US, have so few cases of cops killing civilians? And remember that (1) many EU countries have large minority populations too, and (2) are far more "progressive" than the US, so neither of those can be the explanation.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Actually, yes.

Ooh yea and what is that?

I am of the opinion the coroner is far better informed than you are.

I think you are taking liberties with the coroners report is saying. The choke was not the only mechanism of injury from the time the cops made contact with the suspect until he was zipped into the body bag. Where exactly does it say the cops choke hold was the main and sole MOI that caused death?

Actually, yes.

I am of the opinion the coroner is far better informed than you are.

I think you are taking liberties with the coroners report is saying. The choke was not the only mechanism of injury from the time the cops made contact with the suspect until he was zipped into the body bag. Where exactly does it say the cops choke hold was the main and sole MOI that caused death?

GeorgiaDon

Arrests does not equal convictions. You can get arrested for just hanging around in the wrong place. One consequence of "broken windows" policing is that people get rounded up as a "precaution".

Do you (or anyone) know what Mr. Garner's actual conviction record was? All I am aware of is that at the time of his death he was on probation for selling cigarettes.

Some people have said that you should acquiesce to the police and trust the courts to sort things out. However I can imagine that if I was constantly being hassled in my own neighborhood, arrested and dragged down to the police station on this or that "suspicion", I too might complain. I have read that Mr. Garner was being arrested on a "suspicion" that he "might" have sold cigarettes, but I've seen nothing about the reason for that suspicion. Since it's not illegal to have cigarettes on your person, was he actually observed selling, or was he just being hassled because shopkeepers didn't like him hanging around.

I have never heard of the police being disciplined in any way for arresting people without sufficient cause, so to me saying "don't complain, and let the courts take care of it" rings a bit hollow.

Don

You totally missed my point. Convictions has nothing to do with it and if you new anything about the legal system in NYC you wouldn't have even bought it up.

My point was that he was arrested 30+ times. He knew the game and how it was played. In his 30+ times of being locked up, he didn't die, and I'm going to assume that is because he didn't resist arrest and things went without incident. I haven't heard anything about him being charged with resisting in the past.

For whatever reason, he chose to play the game differently that particular day and it ended up costing him his life.

If you are the subject of constant harassment by local law enforcement, perhaps instead of blaming others, you need to take a step back and reevaluate yourself. Those cops didn't JUST happen to be there. They were acting on complaints from the community. Mr Garner had a history of committing the same infractions over the course of his life. He played a direct role in his own death.

Anvilbrother

Actually, yes.

None of your business. You started the dick swinging contest - I'm not going to continue it.

***I am of the opinion the coroner is far better informed than you are.

And you are splitting hairs. The coroners report is as clear as he can likely be.
As an example DNA evidence isn't an absolute, but its close enough. Same applies here.
What do you think he was doing down there on the ground with his arms round his neck - spooning? It may not have been a textbook choke, but could/would it have been effective? Absolutely.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

None of your business. You started the dick swinging contest - I'm not going to continue it.

I just provided a view from an informed side is all, no one here started any contest. No one wants to see your dick anyway.

***Im of the opinion the coroner is far better informed than you are.

And you are splitting hairs. The coroners report is as clear as he can likely be.
As an example DNA evidence isn't an absolute, but its close enough. Same applies here.
What do you think he was doing down there on the ground with his arms round his neck - spooning? It may not have been a textbook choke, but could/would it have been effective? Absolutely.

Then why isn't the cop in jail? Was it the racist white crackers on the grand jury trying to keep the black man down? Could it actually have been that they see it the way I am that the coroners report is too vague as to which exact MOI and person caused the fatal maneuver, and half a dozen people there could have caused that damage?