normiss

Another cop goes free.

catfishhunter

************50% at risk...yadda ... = unintelligent response/comment, and totally off point.

What was irrelevant is your suggestion that the guy's physical state is what killed him. He was killed by the cop.

No he died because broke the law. Cause and effect.

Tax evasion is not a capital offense. If it were, a lot of our billionaires would be dead.

I broke the speed limit this morning, and didn't die. Cause but no effect.

He was killed by the cop.

Your flawed again. Being stopped by the police for your crime would be the cause. Effect would be running from the cops, being taken to the ground and dying from a heart attack.

Breaking a law in of itself wont kill anyone just as jumping from a plane wont kill you. But when you die skydiving it is absolutely the cause the led to you dying.

Thought you were a professor?

Yet when we try to figure out why somebody bounced, we don't just say: He shouldn't have jumped from an airplane.

Why are you insisting that much? Everybody with brain cells between the ears knows why DIS has been used ....

Don't lie to yourself. The rest of the world is watching and even us aliens from overseas understand what happend so many times - killing blacks b/c of racist motives and rejection.

Man, you do not live on an island. :|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

OK, then, do people analyze BASE accidents, or do they just admit it was illegal (which it generally is in the US) and should therefore be fatal?

How about car accidents when speeding is involved -- do they also look for other contributing factors, or just quit at the first one?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Your flawed again. Being stopped by the police for your crime would be the cause. Effect would be running from the cops, being taken to the ground and dying from a heart attack.

Uhh, you do realise that means you're saying that the police caused his death, right?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

2. The video of the July 17 incident clearly shows Garner, an African-American, swatting away the arms of a white officer seeking to take him into custody, telling him: "Don't touch me!"

3. Garner, 43, had history of more than 30 arrests dating back to 1980, on charges including assault and grand larceny.

Irrelevant to the incident, and thus it's simple character assassination.

(Oh, BTW, in 1980, Garner was 9 years old. FWIW.)

5. The chokehold that Patrolman Daniel Pantaleo put on Garner was reported to have contributed to his death. But Garner, who was 6-foot-3 and weighed 350 pounds, suffered from a number of health problems, including heart disease, severe asthma, diabetes, obesity, and sleep apnea. Pantaleo's attorney and police union officials argued that Garner's poor health was the main cause of his death.

I rebutted the significance of this above: legally, "you take your victim as you find him".

9. The 23-member grand jury included nine non-white jurors.

And as I mentioned above, it took a majority vote of 12 jurors to indict. Hypothetically, even if all 9 non-white jurors argued and voted in favor of indictment, and got 2 white jurors to agree, there would still have been no indictment. Of course, I'm sure we're all curious how many voted to indict or not (although GJ vote breakdowns are usually not released to the public).

11. Less than a month after Garner's death, Ramsey Orta, who shot the much-viewed videotape of the encounter, was indicted on weapons charges. Police alleged that Orta had slipped a .25-caliber handgun into a teenage accomplice's waistband outside a New York hotel.

Also irrelevant to the incident; also nothing more than character assassination.

The coroner listed 5 things. I believe the coroner used the term 'Extreme Obesity':
. exreme obesity,
. the weight on him (the police officer)
. his prone position
. heart condition
. asthma

My point, which you missed entirely, was that the death was not from the choke hold, which the previous poster assumed crushed the throat.

dpreguy

The coroner listed 5 things. I believe the coroner used the term 'Extreme Obesity':
. exreme obesity,
. the weight on him (the police officer)
. his prone position
. heart condition
. asthma

My point, which you missed entirely, was that the death was not from the choke hold, which the previous poster assumed crushed the throat.

You're still repeating the same deliberate lie of omission that I rebutted in post #69.

Here, let me help you:

"The cause of Garner's death was "compression of neck (choke hold), compression of chest and prone positioning during physical restraint by police," the medical examiner's office has said.

Exactly! And to those that say the choke hold is not allowed, there are techniques such as a vascular restraint that looks like your choking the shit out of someone but do not involve the windpipe at all.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

I'm not sure the comment sections of general news outlets is where I'd go for the kind of analysis that I'd hope news outlets and/or grand juries go through. And my standards for grand juries is higher than it is for news outlets (thank goodness :P), because they don't have time pressure.

We often hear that "she asked for it" there in comments sections, too. Not to mention the whole NASA faked the moon landings, and various other conspiracies :ph34r::P

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

To indict, (accuse), the grand jury in every state must have a certain number of the grand jury voting for indictment to issue what is called a "True Bill"=an Indictment. That number is termed a plurality. Examples are 9 of 12, 10 of 12, 7 of 9, etc. The number of grand jurors constituting a grand jury, (vary from state to state) and the number to reach the plurality are almost always set forth in the state's constitution.

It is not just a majority. That standard would be too low.

In New York it's a majority. From the Manhattan DA's website:

At least 16 Grand Jurors must be present for any Grand Jury to hear evidence and take action. Furthermore, at least 12 of the members who have heard the evidence must agree before any affirmative action can be taken.

Wendy P.

dpreguy

To indict, (accuse), the grand jury in every state must have a certain number of the grand jury voting for indictment to issue what is called a "True Bill"=an Indictment. That number is termed a plurality. Examples are 9 of 12, 10 of 12, 7 of 9, etc. The number of grand jurors constituting a grand jury, (vary from state to state) and the number to reach the plurality are almost always set forth in the state's constitution.

It is not just a majority. That standard would be too low.

Under New York law, each Grand Jury is comprised of 23 citizens who hear and examine evidence concerning offenses and take action based on such evidence. At least 16 Grand Jurors must be present for any Grand Jury to hear evidence and take action. Furthermore, at least 12 of the members who have heard the evidence must agree before any affirmative action can be taken.

Now whether that qualifies as "plurality" or "majority", it is what it is, and I accept that.

Edit: even if Wendy is faster than I am.

Just a question...if the cause of death was due to "Compression of the Neck". Is it possible for someone who is killed or shall I say subjected to Compression of the Neck to be able to speak, "I can't breath, I can't breath". I'm thinking if the cause of the death was due to the above, would he not have been unconscious and in the process of asphyxiation?

From Andy's post:
"The cause of Garner's death was "compression of neck (choke hold), compression of chest and prone positioning during physical restraint by police," the medical examiner's office has said.

Speaking involves exhaling. It is entirely conceivable that someone lying on their belly, with the weight of one or several police officers on their back, would be able to exhale even with pressure applied to their throat (and so be able to speak a few words), but not inhale. I'm sure you realize that not inhaling = asphyxiation.

Don

christelsabine

Why are you insisting that much? Everybody with brain cells between the ears knows why DIS has been used ....

Don't lie to yourself. The rest of the world is watching and even us aliens from overseas understand what happend so many times - killing blacks b/c of racist motives and rejection.

Man, you do not live on an island. :|

I look forward to you posting ALL the stories of white racists cops killing black kids so often

BTW
I am NOT expecting much in the way of support for your position.........cause there isnt any. Very rare in fact
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

GeorgiaDon

Just a question...if the cause of death was due to "Compression of the Neck". Is it possible for someone who is killed or shall I say subjected to Compression of the Neck to be able to speak, "I can't breath, I can't breath". I'm thinking if the cause of the death was due to the above, would he not have been unconscious and in the process of asphyxiation?

From Andy's post:

Speaking involves exhaling. It is entirely conceivable that someone lying on their belly, with the weight of one or several police officers on their back, would be able to exhale even with pressure applied to their throat (and so be able to speak a few words), but not inhale. I'm sure you realize that not inhaling = asphyxiation.

Don

Ah
he died of a heart attack on the way to the hospital
Abraham Lincoln

christelsabine

Do your own homework.

:|

I have
YOU, have not
YOU, are just paroting talking points
I am talking facts
Abraham Lincoln

Here is a link to an article in The Atlantic. It starts out by suggesting that the national reaction and dialog would be different if Eric Garner were white, and the police had been federal agents. :)
Wendy P.

wmw999

Here is a link to an article in The Atlantic. It starts out by suggesting that the national reaction and dialog would be different if Eric Garner were white, and the police had been federal agents. :)
Wendy P.

Of course it would be different
Just like the police officer that killed and unarmed black kid in Detroit a couple of weeks ago is viewed differently
Why?

the cop was black
no race pimping can be done so why do it?

And Tea Party crusade?:D:D

Sorry Wendy
that boat dont float
Abraham Lincoln

compression of neck (choke hold)

Incorrect. No where is it stated that the "choke hold" was the cause of the neck compression. There was lots going on that could have caused that, including the "choke hold" the way he was being "ridden" on the ground, the way he was put on the stretcher, and anything that happened on the ride to the hospital.

I can tell you for fact that a limp body in an ambulance that has to make an emergency stopping maneuver going down the road can cause the body to slide off the stretcher no matter how tight the straps are, and if you have never been in an ambulance the head rides forward, and there is usually a hard metal chair right at the head of the stretcher....

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Sorry to jump in and potentially derail this, but I'm stuck back on the "untaxed" cigarettes. Was this already covered? How are they untaxed? Did he steal them? If he bought the pack and then sold them individually, they're not untaxed; they're "un-re-taxed".