piisfish

12 yr old kid shot by police

Nice try leaving out all the story. The cop was called there for a person with a gun. Although the caller stated the thought the gun was fake, the caller's doubt was never relayed to the responding officers.

The rookie officer saw the boy at a park bench pick up what looked like a gun and placed it in his waistband, Follmer said.

The officer ordered the boy to put his hands in the air. Instead, police said, the boy reached for his gun. Deputy Chief Edward Tomba said the boy made no verbal threats to the officer and there was no physical confrontation.

TLDR Cop called for a person waving a gun at people. Cops show up on scene and see person hiding a gun in wasteband. When told to put hands up the person went for the gun, cops shoot person. Clean shooting, kid got what was coming....

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

I am not criticizing the cop who will certainly loose some sleep over that.

Just noticing that in some places in the world, it is more acceptable to play with fake guns which might get you killed, rather than risking to choke on the toys contained in a Kinder Egg.

Honestly, I think it is not smart to :
-have toys that look like real guns
-use them in public
-... when you are a black kid (over time it has been proven that they get less chances than white kids (or that white kids don't play with Skittles))
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I won't say the kid got what was coming to him, despite apparently having removed the orange 'toy' indicator on the gun.

It's a tragic situation for all concerned but when the police get a call about someone walking around in public, deliberately scaring people with a gun they have to take it seriously.

I've a feeling this is one of those situations where everybody loses. The kid gets killed simply for taking a joke too far, the politicians use the situation as a springboard to advance their own ridiculous agendas, and the life of a rookie police officer is ruined - at least temporarily.

Ok by the title and the missing information I thought you were setting us all up. And I agree with the person above me that we all loose, and the only people to blame are the parents for raising a 12 year old to think its cool to make a gun look real and ok to attempt to fake shoot people including cops.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Care to explain how this isn't the parents fault? They raised a kid that scraped off the orange mark ment to show cops its a toy gun, or painted it black to look real, then went around aiming it at people enough that they called the cops. When the cops showed up he hid the gun knowing that he knew what he was doing was wrong, and then when he was told to put his hands up he reached for it.

This one I have a problem with. There's no mistaking a 12yo. Yes he had a 'gun'. Yes he didn't follow the orders of police. This is one of those situations where i think the cop MUST defer his initial response to open fire and just see what happens. Weapon wasn't drawn...wasn't pointed at the cop. Besides, if you're more than 20 feet away and untrained you can't really hit much with a pistol.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

This one I have a problem with. There's no mistaking a 12yo. Yes he had a 'gun'. Yes he didn't follow the orders of police. This is one of those situations where i think the cop MUST defer his initial response to open fire and just see what happens. Weapon wasn't drawn...wasn't pointed at the cop. Besides, if you're more than 20 feet away and untrained you can't really hit much with a pistol.

Except we don't know his height, weight, what he was wearing, how much of his face was covered, lighting, etc.

Extremely likely the person the officer confronted looked nothing like the kid in the picture.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

If its true...

The rookie officer saw the boy at a park bench pick up what looked like a gun and placed it in his waistband, Follmer said.

The officer ordered the boy to put his hands in the air. Instead, police said, the boy reached for his gun. Deputy Chief Edward Tomba said the boy made no verbal threats to the officer and there was no physical confrontation.

The officer fired twice at the boy, hitting him in the stomach at least once.

Destinations by Roxanne

it was a bb gun and the one my son had a few years ago didn't have an orange ring. i read this and looked at the mp5 my son had been playing with out in the street and it has an orange ring on it, but it was made this year. it's a good thing too, it looks real other than that. i think i may get some orange spray paint to make it better.

sfzombie13

it was a bb gun and the one my son had a few years ago didn't have an orange ring. i read this and looked at the mp5 my son had been playing with out in the street and it has an orange ring on it, but it was made this year. it's a good thing too, it looks real other than that. i think i may get some orange spray paint to make it better.

I wonder how long it will be (if it hasn't happened already) before someone paints an orange ring on the end of their fully functional weapon, and a cop gets shot, because he hesitated?

Any thing that looks like a functional weapon should be treated like one.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Your the one who stated otherwise so unless you got proof I'm gonna stick with the more realistic story that the cop thought the kid had a real gun, and not the paranoid delusional story that the cop woke up that morning and said you know what I'm gonna fucking shoot a kid today just for fun....

Walk around with a gun in a public place and point it at people (fake or not) then expect problems.

Here's CCTV footage of a young kid in the UK nearly getting shot in the chest for nearly the same scenario. Listen to how he says the officer was squeezing on second pressure by the time the weapon hit the floor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwFu0wZ6Igg

Anvilbrother

Nice try leaving out all the story. The cop was called there for a person with a gun. Although the caller stated the thought the gun was fake, the caller's doubt was never relayed to the responding officers.

TLDR Cop called for a person waving a gun at people. Cops show up on scene and see person hiding a gun in wasteband. When told to put hands up the person went for the gun, cops shoot person. Clean shooting, kid got what was coming....

People making false or inaccurate 911 calls are part of this problem.

What was false about what the caller told 911?

The caller stated a person was pointing a gun at people. Possibly a fake gun.
Possibly a juvenile.

The person shot was pointing it at people.
The person had a fake gun
The person was a juvenile.

Sounds like it was 100% accurate to me. The issue is if the dispatcher told the deputies, and how they acted on that information.

oldwomanc6

***it was a bb gun and the one my son had a few years ago didn't have an orange ring. i read this and looked at the mp5 my son had been playing with out in the street and it has an orange ring on it, but it was made this year. it's a good thing too, it looks real other than that. i think i may get some orange spray paint to make it better.

I wonder how long it will be (if it hasn't happened already) before someone paints an orange ring on the end of their fully functional weapon, and a cop gets shot, because he hesitated?

My view of the whole situation has changed. Being that you want to be a cop, signed up, passed the exam, and did the training the onus should be on you to exercise just a bit of restraint when it comes to firing your service revolver. If that bit of restraint ends up getting you wounded or killed it's part of the job description. Plenty of videos of cops who shoot first and ask questions later. Here in the greater Cleveland area there was a car chase in 2012 that ended with 60 police cars involved.

http://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/index.ssf/2014/05/cleveland_police_chase_and_sho.html

Brelo fired 49 shots at a 1979 Chevrolet Malibu. He fired his Glock handgun more than any of the 13 officers who unloaded 137 shots at the car, after a 23-minute chase that began at the Justice Center in Cleveland and ended in an East Cleveland middle school.

Timothy Russell, 43, and Malissa Williams, 30, were killed Nov. 29, 2012. They did not have a weapon on them at the time of the shooting.

Perhaps it's because the justice system has stopped allowing an LEO to use their judgement. I'm not sure but there is a problem with the Cleveland PD.

Destinations by Roxanne

If the caller thought it "was probably fake" then perhaps he should have gone up to the kid himself.

It's very easy to call a gun a fake if it's not your life you are risking to find out.

I don't get some people's reactions to this stuff.

"Should have shot him in the legs" etc.

There needs to be public announcements on how and why police are trained to shoot center mass and that when someone pulls a gun on them they aren't going to wait until they get shot at before they neutralise the threat.

normiss

12 years old should tell us something.

People making false or inaccurate 911 calls are part of this problem.

In response to a 12 year old kid????
[:/]

While I do realize there ARE a few kids that have committed some very violent crimes, they are still so very rare.

It's as stoopid as shutting down a downtown area because someone left their lunch at the bus stop.

I just want to see cops stop shooting first and asking questions later. Or not even getting questioned for that matter.

oldwomanc6

***it was a bb gun and the one my son had a few years ago didn't have an orange ring. i read this and looked at the mp5 my son had been playing with out in the street and it has an orange ring on it, but it was made this year. it's a good thing too, it looks real other than that. i think i may get some orange spray paint to make it better.

I once had a Super Blackhawk with a cork with a string in the barrel, 'popgun' style. A little orange paint or tape would have completed the masquerade, but that was not the norm at the time.

Someone says 'FREEZE!" and you may rest assured that doing otherwise is a bad career move.

Reach for something the LOOKS like a firearm? Cause of death = suicide.

BSBD,

Winsor

The cop did what he was trained to do. Period. They don't have time to second-guess whether a weapon is fake or not. The 12 year old was stupid as a box of rocks. Sucks to be him and sucks to be the cop. :|

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

The cop did what he was trained to do. Period. They don't have time to second-guess whether a weapon is fake or not. The 12 year old was stupid as a box of rocks. Sucks to be him and sucks to be the cop. :|

Children (12 isn't even a teenager) don't have fully formed judgement. That's why we don't call them "adult" and don't let them vote, drive on public roads, get a pilot license, get married, etc.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.