BIGUN

Bill Cosby

BIGUN

***Still on the fence?;)

Yes. Until there's criminal charges and he's convicted.

I decided to always hold back the guillotine after guy at my DZ just had his entire life shattered because he was accused of whipping his dick out in a parking lot. Turns out he, a 6'7" guy from India, was confused with a 5'8" blonde dude. While I think Cosby is guilty I'll hold off until the facts are layed on in a legal venue. In this case there are just too many people coming forward, I think I know where it's headed.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

normiss

OJ is innocent.
It's how it works.

Well, OJ was found not guilty. Not guilty is not the same as innocent, but I think you know that.

Our criminal justice system finds people "not guilty" for a reason, because that's really all it can do - make a decision that the evidence presented was not sufficient to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Proclaiming innocence would be a much different standard, and I'm pretty sure it's not one our system (or perhaps any system) is up for.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

NWFlyer

OJ is innocent.
It's how it works.

Well, OJ was found not guilty. Not guilty is not the same as innocent, but I think you know that.

Our criminal justice system finds people "not guilty" for a reason, because that's really all it can do - make a decision that the evidence presented was not sufficient to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Proclaiming innocence would be a much different standard, and I'm pretty sure it's not one our system (or perhaps any system) is up for.

And OJ was found not guilty (not "found innocent" as you pointed out) in a criminal court.

He was found "liable" for the deaths in a civil court, which has a lower standard of proof.

Regardless of what any court said, if he committed the murders (which I personally believe he did), he isn't "innocent."

Similarly, one of Cosby's accusers went to the cops, went to the prosecutor. She was told that they wouldn't take it to trial because there wasn't enough evidence to get a conviction.
Cosby would have had a "rock star" defense team. Without (or maybe even with) an air tight case, he would have walked. Prosecutors hate to lose (for a lot of different reasons - some valid, some not so much).
Rape can be really hard to prosecute. Often only two witnesses, with diametrically opposed stories. Forensic evidence proves the act, but can't prove consent (absent wounds from an attack). Vicious attacks by both sides on both the accuser and the accused.

Throw in the fact that celebs are often targeted by false accusations by opportunists looking for a payout.
Countered by the fact that some celebs are pretty sick and twisted people, who use their power and wealth to stay out of trouble.

It's really hard to say what the truth in the Cosby accusations might be. But the totality of the claims is starting to add up.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Don't know if Cosby is innocent or guilty but I'm generally in favor of a statute of limitations for rape--especially acquaintance rape involving adult women where the main legal issue is one of consent. Proving or disproving consent decades after the fact seems like an impossible task.

In cases of statutory rape, where the act of sex alone makes it rape and consent is not at issue, there could be circumstances in which it could be proven beyond a reasonable doubt decades after the fact. An example would be if a man fathers a child with an underage girl and decades later DNA evidence proves he is the father. In such cases--and also considering the extreme seriousness of statutory rape--I could see doing away with the statute of limitations.

But these Cosby allegations--whether true or false--seem to me a good example of why a statute of limitations is often a good idea.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

There's so much stuff coming out that it's hard to not think at least some of it's true. I don't usually follow celebrity gossip, but this has gotten my attention - partially because it's freakin' Bill Cosby, but also because there is so much that it's hard to ignore.

One thing I see is that most of these women don't have much to gain by speaking out about it. I mean, it's not very likely he will be convicted of anything, so I think they're coming out more to help others who are afraid of being discredited. Also, they're setting themselves up (which they must be aware of) for the whole "blaming the victim" scenario, because most of them (while still likely victims) have not been in entirely blameless scenarios. Hanging out with big-time star who can possibly advance their careers, accepting who-knows-what kind of drugs from this dude, etc. . . .

Shotgun

There's so much stuff coming out that it's hard to not think at least some of it's true. I don't usually follow celebrity gossip, but this has gotten my attention - partially because it's freakin' Bill Cosby, but also because there is so much that it's hard to ignore.

One thing I see is that most of these women don't have much to gain by speaking out about it. I mean, it's not very likely he will be convicted of anything, so I think they're coming out more to help others who are afraid of being discredited. Also, they're setting themselves up (which they must be aware of) for the whole "blaming the victim" scenario, because most of them (while still likely victims) have not been in entirely blameless scenarios. Hanging out with big-time star who can possibly advance their careers, accepting who-knows-what kind of drugs from this dude, etc. . . .

well put

Separate thing that is sad

so - if they speak up now - they MIGHT allow a few other woman to keep from being discredited.....

if they had spoken up THEN - perhaps these other woman wouldn't have been raped in the first place (if BC had been in jail)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

JerryBaumchen

Apparently someone has disabled the NY Mag's website with a DOS attack. Fortunately, though, the article can still be accessed via its Google cache here:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Ah8OCTQDazgJ:nymag.com/thecut/2015/07/bill-cosbys-accusers-speak-out.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

"I predict that sometime in the next few months the number of Republican candidates will surpass the number of Bill Cosby accusers."
-- Bill Maher on Twitter
:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

devildog

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Personally I think the cosby show should be removed from TV. If the higher ups are going to remove the dukes of hazzard because of a fucking flag on a CAR, then clearly leaving the cosby show on TV says its totally A OK to drug and rape women.

Here is some of the severe 'intolerance' you'll see on the dukes of hazzard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqVlatp_raY

There was an episode where everyone was bitching and fighting until everyone had some of Cosby's "special" bbq sauce and after they were all hugging and kissing.:P

Everyone eventually ends up hugging and kissing, and Cliff gives the credit to his special barbecue sauce.

http://www.tv.com/shows/the-cosby-show/the-last-barbecue-12893/[url]

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

billvon

>then clearly leaving the cosby show on TV says its totally A OK to drug and rape women.

Right. Just like showing the movie The Naked Gun or Roots means they support murder.

i do agree that the movie roots should not be shown, if they won't show the Dukes of hazard because of a paint job on a car.

The naked gun should be shown to everyone no matter what you like, and no matter if you like it or not. We'll just shove it down everyone's throat.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

normiss

The entire flag ordeal is just silly.
Get over it already.

There are about 9 million African-Americans in the US who, thanks largely to the way the Confederate flag has been co-opted by certain white racists as a symbol of their racism, feel viscerally about the Confederate flag just as, say, Jews feel about the Swastika, a 1,000 year-old symbol that was co-opted by the Nazis. So while it might be rational for you to wish, for ethically sound reasons, for people to get over it, that's simply not going to happen, at least probably not in your or my lifetime.

Driver1

If somebody takes a sledgehammer to Cosby's Hollywood star, I'd be perfectly okay with that. Fuck him.

the owners of that sidewalk surely have the right to remove it and make a big deal breaking it into little pieces - I think that would be great and hope they do

some stranger going and destroying someone else's private property? no, then it would be called a tantrum and illegal

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants