mirage62

Celebrate the Republican Senate or cry?

So we the people have spoke, some will wake up this morning and celebrate the new Republican senate - others will cry.

The talking heads will discuss if it was a wave, was it Obamas fault, and why, why, why.

I have so little faith in our leaders - both parties. The Democrats will now do to the Republicans (block and delay) as was done to them ..... and fools that we are, some will cheer.

When will a party leadership (either) be wise enough to get us off this track????
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

When will a party leadership (either) be wise enough to get us off this track????

Only when they start to see that progress isn't "my way or the highway."

People in power have to remember that if they won by a narrow margin, close to half of their constituents voted against them, or at least thought about it. Depending on the gerrymandering of the districts, it might have been more than half [:/]. "Progress" isn't defined as "exactly what 51% of the people would have liked."

And too many people think that's cool, just as they like being related to the big asshole in the bar that everyone is scared of.

In project management, there are a couple of things that are done, that might help. One is to define what the top three goals are, and to consider them in terms of the resources you actually, not the ideal world ones. And another is to regularly talk about your risks realistically, and understand which ones can bite you in the ass.

In both cases, it takes a leader who is willing to consider that things might not turn out just as they wish, who actively seeks opinions, who doesn't discourage dissenting ones, and who can understand which ones can have something done about them. I'm not talking only the President -- it's anyone who others listen to.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Of course they will. And they'll remind people at every turn that they're Reid's filibuster rules, and not their fault. It was a stupid idea when the Democrats did it, and it's still a stupid idea.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Good for me personally.

Bad for the country as a whole that the billionaires have bought the Congress.

Silver lining is that the GOP mostly eliminated its loony fringe in the primaries.

Nice job as plane captain at the ML80 event. You didn't even get to axe me.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

This is an excerpt from an article in the local news paper. These two paragraphs were in this order. Seems a touch ironic (hypocritical) how only after moving to the minority is the result a message that "they" want us to work together.

Boehner, who has watched Republican bill after bill die for years in the Democratic-led Senate, pledged votes on “commonsense jobs and energy bills that passed the Republican-led House in recent years with bipartisan support but were never even brought to a vote by the outgoing Senate majority.”

Senate Democrats tried to be conciliatory. “The message from voters is clear: they want us to work together,” said Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev.

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/election/article3566009.html#storylink=cpy
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Harry Reid's quote is, in my mind, the exact reason why he has to go.

I'm finding it interesting that people are asking whether the GOP will keep the Senate Rules in place. The GOP won't be in the majority until mid-January. Reid can certainly do something about setting up favorable rules for Democrats (and it's not like the nuclear option rules do any good for the GOP - it's only about filibustering the President's appointments and the POTUS is a dem.)

The nuclear options is useless to a GOP Senate with a Dem POTYS. Plenty of political points serve to be gained by the GOP eliminating the rule without losing anything at all.

Imagine McConnell going up, making a speech, and the GOP voting to eliminate the rule. The GOP looks like they are seeking cooperation. The Dems look worse. And then filibuster looks even worse for any Dem who tries it.

I don't see how the GOP loses anything in getting rid of the rule.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

They can start by taking those 350 Bills that have been log-jammed sitting on Reid's desk, and start putting them up for a vote. Up or down. One or the other. But don't allow them to just languish with no action.

Everyone will now switch roles. The democrats, who have been defending their actions, will now become the complainers. The Republicans who have been the complainers, will now become the defenders. Everyone switch hats... now!

I hope they do ditch it.

Also as a tactic Reid's holding bills to save Democrates from having to vote on possibly dangerous bills seems to have not work, I hope that goes in the trash heap of history.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

Dilligas

They can start by taking those 350 Bills that have been log-jammed sitting on Reid's desk, and start putting them up for a vote. Up or down. One or the other. But don't allow them to just languish with no action.

I don't believe bills survive into the next session. If he keeps them sitting, that's it.

I do welcome the opportunity for the Democrats to cycle in new leadership. They can do better than Reid. But there's no guarantee of this - he could just become Minority Leader until the next swing back.

If he doesn't lead the same sort of blocking nonsense that the GOP did for the last 6 years, he definitely needs to be replaced.

wmw999

Of course they will. And they'll remind people at every turn that they're Reid's filibuster rules, and not their fault. It was a stupid idea when the Democrats did it, and it's still a stupid idea.

Wendy P.

It's a great idea...it's only a stupid idea two years from now if there is a change in control. I understand your point, there is going to be some that think what's Good for the Dem's is just as good for the Rep.

In managing a long-term enterprise, great ideas aren't only great for the next two years. Maybe.

Wendy P.

Boomerdog

...and your boy Tom Steyer contributing millions and millions of dollars to Progessive causes? You can call the Koch brothers S.O.B.'s but you won't lay a verbal blow on guys like Steyer simply because he's YOUR S.O.B.

A little consistency puhhleaze?

Now you are just making stuff up.

grimmie

It will be the same old BS in DC. Except done a little crazier. Check out the thoughts of some of the newly elected "leaders".:P

As I look at the actual winners and read their statements I am optimistic that the GOP has indeed started to shed its loony right wing.

Of course, all politicians lie so they may just be saying centrist stuff in order to get elected.

kallend

***It will be the same old BS in DC. Except done a little crazier. Check out the thoughts of some of the newly elected "leaders".:P

As I look at the actual winners and read their statements I am optimistic that the GOP has indeed started to shed its loony right wing.

Of course, all politicians lie so they may just be saying centrist stuff in order to get elected.

Actually, for the most part they are saying the same thing they have been saying for decades

Just like the Dems still say the R's want to kick grandma out of her house, take away SS, enslave blacks, take away minority voting rights, starve kids and the poor

The electorate is now starting to roll thier eyes when this desperate bs spews forth

Just like the spew you just posted
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

******It will be the same old BS in DC. Except done a little crazier. Check out the thoughts of some of the newly elected "leaders".:P

Actually, for the most part they are saying the same thing they have been saying for decades

Just like the Dems still say the R's want to kick grandma out of her house, take away SS, enslave blacks, take away minority voting rights, starve kids and the poor

The electorate is now starting to roll thier eyes when this desperate bs spews forth

Just like the spew you just posted

You don't believe that politicians lie to get elected?