stayhigh

Assisted suicide.

I'm going to get roasted for this:

A few years ago I lost a younger friend to terminal brain cancer. She was 18 when she died. She could have chosen to end her life but she didn't I was amazed by her strength and the lives she continued to touch up until she slipped into a coma and then died the next day. What I saw in her was true courage and strength. She faced the challenge of living with her cancer and didn't back down. Every day she met it head on.

She was a true person of strength!!
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

promise5

I'm going to get roasted for this:

A few years ago I lost a younger friend to terminal brain cancer. She was 18 when she died. She could have chosen to end her life but she didn't I was amazed by her strength and the lives she continued to touch up until she slipped into a coma and then died the next day. What I saw in her was true courage and strength. She faced the challenge of living with her cancer and didn't back down. Every day she met it head on.

She was a true person of strength!!

eh...I feel that such people can feel they have a responsibility to their friends and family to do this, but IMO they're already greatly overburdened with the reality of being terminally ill. A close friend suffered a second bout with melanoma - did the against all odds chemo that effectively just knocked her on her back for nearly all of the time between diagnosis and death.

Having seen that, I'm more inclined to skipping such treatment and enjoying the few days I have and then consider ending it on my terms, rather than to merely postpone the inevitable but spend it all in bed.

May none of us have to made that decision.

She stopped her chemo and radiation due to how sick she got and the extreme pain the radiation caused her. She wasn't stuck in bed until the last week. She looked and acted great except for being tired a lot. It really amazed people.
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

It's not like that for everyone. It's really ugly for some people. I honestly think that it's such an incredibly personal decision that I wouldn't second guess it. You never know who had a relative who went through hell, and doesn't want to do the same.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

It's not like that for everyone. It's really ugly for some people. I honestly think that it's such an incredibly personal decision that I wouldn't second guess it. You never know who had a relative who went through hell, and doesn't want to do the same.

Wendy P.

^This. Big time.

I've lost a couple of friends to "terminal illness." Some went fairly easily & 'smoothly.' Some... didn't.

Brain cancer has the ability to completely change a person. In some ways that are truly horrific. For the woman in the OP to have chosen not to risk going through those changes (and forcing her family to have to deal with them too) isn't unreasonable.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Hi 5,

I'm going to get roasted for this

No reason for any 'roasting.'

Your friend made a choice. Brittany Maynard made a choice.

They each made the choice that they wanted to make. We all should be able to do so.

Sort of like abortions; if you are against them, then don't have one. Just let the rest of us make the choices that we want to make.

Jerry Baumchen

promise5

Abortion is completely different to simply say don't like it don't have one. Well, what choice does the baby have?? Can they be given a choice?

As soon as it is viable outside the mother, yes. Until then, no.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

promise5

Abortion is completely different to simply say don't like it don't have one. Well, what choice does the baby have?? Can they be given a choice?

Fetus, not a baby. But this debate belongs in another thread.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

[Reply]And if the service for assisted suicide were available to Robin Williams who suffered from anxiety and depression for most of his life, he may have offed himself in the early '90s and not experienced the joy of seeing great successes that followed in a number of films. He went through his low points and came back more than once. In the end, he made his choice. However, many who suffer from depression eventually find ways to cope and live a rewarding life.

News coming out no that Robin Williams was suffering from Lewy Body Dementia. It's a terminal diagnosis. Killed Casey Kasem just a ccouple of months before Robin Williams killed himself. Williams had been diagnosed with Parkinson's, had depression and anxiety and history of probable mental illness. Now he knows that he'll become more paranoid, suffer more hallucinations, more freequent and intense mood swings and gradually become an invalid while the mind continues to torture him because the more he asks of himself and the more anyone else asks of him the worse he'll get.

No. For many people it won't get better. The good moments, when their thoughts are clear and lucid only bring more terror because they understand their futures. Much like a terminal cancer patient does. The thought of the pain is too much. Kinda like a cancer patient.

It's a shame he had to resort to the end-of-life planning that he did...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Quote from the article:
"Assisted suicide is an absurdity,” Father Carrasco de Paula told the Italian news agency ANSA.

He did not say that her particular decision to kill herself was an "absurdity".
Christians in general do not believe in assisted suicide or unassisted suicide. We believe that we were created by God and only He has the right to know when our lives will end.
I don't call people that think otherwise names. You all have your right to your opinion. So do I. So does the Pope. I don't always agree with his opinion either. I do agree when he makes an official statement as the leader of our Church. I know most of you don't understand that. But why call names? Is it not enough to say you don't agree? Or strongly don't agree?
I consider calling the leader of my Church a "cunt" as a personal attack against what I believe.
I understand how hard it is to see someone go through a terrible end to their lives. I have seen it. But I also have a different view of why it is necessary to let it end naturally.
People are always telling others on here to study up on what they are making nasty comments about. I would ask this in this case also. Take a look around at all of the good the Catholic Church has done for humanity. Schools, hospitals, orphanages, all around the world. Not only what you consider as wrong. Yes it is a large organization that at times deserves some scrutiny. Sometimes in a big way. It is made up of humans. We all have failings. But most of us work for the good. And so does most of the Catholic Church.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Lord, let me be the person my dog thinks I am.

No, it's a personal attack against the leader of your church.

Your beliefs have nothing to do with it.

People use that reasoning to justify "blasphemy" laws.

People are allowed to criticize whomever they wish - certainly an organization that has taken it upon themselves to dictate to other people how they should live their lives based on the orders of their "God".

Thunderbow

I consider calling the leader of my Church a "cunt" as a personal attack against what I believe.

As a person who has been diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma(a currently incurable blood cancer) I *personally*feel an obligation to my loved ones to fight the disease as long as practical. My example may inspire someone to similarly fight and survive cancer themselves.
Having said that, if the time ever comes that I choose to end that struggle, it will be my decision alone to do so...Regardless of the law or the opinions from the peanut gallery.
I will not judge someone deciding for themselves. Those religious who do judge know what they can do with their opinions.
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."