stayhigh

Assisted suicide.

CDC reports that at 2012, over 40000 suicide were recorded. Half of them by firearm, the other majority being suffocation.

When Brittany Maynard took her own life due to her illness, it has sparked arguments.

Is it right or wrong?

I feel that this should be an available option for everyone regardless of medical condition. Even to those who are suffering from chronic depression/suicidal ideation. Why let these people suffer and only to prolong their life and make others miserable?

Many don't commit suicide due to the failure ratio. Even with the shotgun in the mouth, the method is not guaranteed to end. Many suicidal people actually do care about what they look like after their death, or what kind of impact would they give to their family and friends.

I'd say let people die on their own term.

I'm not talking about the IAD student progression either. :D
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

stayhigh

CDC reports that at 2012, over 40000 suicide were recorded. Half of them by firearm, the other majority being suffocation.

When Brittany Maynard took her own life due to her illness, it has sparked arguments.

Is it right or wrong?

I feel that this should be an available option for everyone regardless of medical condition. Even to those who is suffering from chronic depression/suicidal ideation. Why let these people suffer and only to prolong their life and make others miserable?

Many don't commit suicide due to the failure ratio. Even with the shotgun in the mouth, the method is not guaranteed to end. Many suicidal people actually do care about what they look like after their death, or what kind of impact would they give to their family and friends.

We treat our dogs and cats better. I have no problem with an assisted suicide for a incurable, painful, debilitating medical condition.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

***CDC reports that at 2012, over 40000 suicide were recorded. Half of them by firearm, the other majority being suffocation.

Is it right or wrong?

I feel that this should be an available option for everyone regardless of medical condition. Even to those who is suffering from chronic depression/suicidal ideation. Why let these people suffer and only to prolong their life and make others miserable?

We treat our dogs and cats better. I have no problem with an assisted suicide for a incurable, painful, debilitating medical condition.

I agree wholeheartedly. Screw what the religious zealots say on this issue. People with a terminal illness should have a choice.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

stayhigh

What about those who are chronically depressed?

Not so clear cut, IMO... if its something that CAN be treated and managed with psychological or medical help, then assisted-suicide really shouldn't be an option.... I'm of the position that only the terminally ill should because they KNOW they're gonna die and that it's gonna be physically painful, But that's just me.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If we are allowed to have DNR orders or "pull the plug" on loved ones on life support with no hope of recovery, then assisted suicide should be an option for the terminally ill. Why blow through your savings and hock everything you own to pay for medical care until you die naturally and leave nothing for your family?

Only problem I see is how life insurance policies view assisted suicides, even legal ones...

stayhigh

What about those who are chronically depressed?

The hopelessly depressed ones (probably a good chunk of the 40,000) usually don't need assistance. Of course if the option for a peaceful assisted suicide were there, many of them would readily use it. For that reason, probably not a good idea for this kind of service to be available to the chronically depressed.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

masterblaster72

***What about those who are chronically depressed?

The hopelessly depressed ones (probably a good chunk of the 40,000) usually don't need assistance. Of course if the option for a peaceful assisted suicide were there, many of them would readily use it. For that reason, probably not a good idea for this kind of service to be available to the chronically depressed.

Why not?

If they are miserable, why not let them seek relief?

I think it is stupid that suicide is the only crime you don't get punished for unless you don't actually commit the crime.

It shouldn't be illegal.

There should be allowances made in the medical profession to allow for humane endings.
If you can have elective surgery, you should be able to have elective death.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Why not?

Because in most cases, life gets better. Also, many who have lived through suicide attempts are glad they are still alive.

For those suffering from depression that doesn't abate, perhaps visiting an assisted suicide center and being refused (x) number of times and then upon the (y)th visit being offered the option could be a more balanced approach for those not suffering from terminal illness.

I think it is stupid that suicide is the only crime you don't get punished for unless you don't actually commit the crime.

It shouldn't be illegal.

There should be allowances made in the medical profession to allow for humane endings.
If you can have elective surgery, you should be able to have elective death.

Agreed.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

turtlespeed

Why not?

unlike the terminally ill, their mental illness prevents them from making an informed decision to end their lives. Or at the very least, prevents society from ensuring this (some mental disorders may not affect their judgment, but difficult to measure. And some may argue that going against innate survival drive is evidence of disorder).

[Reply]Because in most cases, life gets better.

I don't think you inderstand what this is about. You are viewing it as better or worse by some definitions. Most people cannot imagine why someone like Robin Williams - who had what most people would view to be everything - would off himself.

Because it's not that simple as better or worse. It's a mental pain that would make them choose to die rather than live. The continual viewing of a diseased mind as wholly different from a diseased body is part of the problem and not solution. Talk about a way to ensure that people feel even worse.

[Reply]Also, many who have lived through suicide attempts are glad they are still alive.

And many finish the job later on. Because it's not something that they can just get rid of, wish away. It's not a personality issue. It's a medical problem that in thousands of people every year proves fatal.

Perhaps a better solution for helping people with mental illness is to not destroy their lives if they ask for help. Rather than taking away rights and privileges for asking for help, how about treating depression like any other chronic medical problem.

40k per year kill themselves? And yet they're viewed by society as being risks to others.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

[Reply]unlike the terminally ill, their mental illness prevents them from making an informed decision to end their lives

Or, perhaps, they are absolutely informed and have, over a period of a whole life (perhaps 40 or 50 years) come to the conclusion that the balance is tilted toward ending it. They are more informed than anyone else about the negatives of life and about their continuing inability to cope with it and the positives that no longer outweigh the negatives.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I suffered from Major Depression with suicidal ideation for about eight years. Praise God I found a way out. I discovered some ways to deal with and manage it. Right now I am concerned about the 22 suicides per day committed by veterans. Some other veterans and I are working on an outreach.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Emil Durkheim has a theory that there are four types of suicide.

Fatalistic
Altruistic
Anomic
Egotistic

Religion helps those who are egotistic, the group of people(church goers) gives the person support and sense of belonging to the person who feels suicidal.

In case of Brittany, that was fatalistic suicide.

lawrocket

[Reply]unlike the terminally ill, their mental illness prevents them from making an informed decision to end their lives

Or, perhaps, they are absolutely informed and have, over a period of a whole life (perhaps 40 or 50 years) come to the conclusion that the balance is tilted toward ending it. They are more informed than anyone else about the negatives of life and about their continuing inability to cope with it and the positives that no longer outweigh the negatives.

ok - so what's the social policy that covers this?

Anyone over 60 is deemed competent to make the decision? Waiting periods (12 months of repeated month assertions of desire to do so?) Pysch eval by panel of 2 or 3 bodies to assess competency?

Given the biochemistry behind so many mental health issues, I'd have a hard time finding any scenario where society should endorse suicide for someone < 25. It does get better. Intense sorrow (wife or child dies) cause quite a few suicides, but also subside with time. Another 'no' scenario, IMO, due to diminished capacity.

*** Right now I am concerned about the 22 suicides per day committed by veterans. Some other veterans and I are working on an outreach.

Most of those are WWII & Korean Veterans. In most cases, they've lost most of their friends, family and veteran buddies. But, you know most of this. Anyway, please check the website below to see if there's a "Vet Center" in your area. This is their specialty and is is nothing like the VA. There's not even any records kept for the VA. If ou can get them there, these people work tirelessly to assist the veteran whose threatened suicide. Your local Community Service Council or Medical Reserve Corps or Health Department offers free "Psychological First Aid" courses.

http://www.va.gov/directory/guide/vetcenter.asp?isFlash=0

They also need volunteers.
Good luck on your venture.
If you make a difference in just one life; you've made a difference.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I don't think you understand what this is about.

Sure I do.

You are viewing it as better or worse by some definitions. Most people cannot imagine why someone like Robin Williams - who had what most people would view to be everything - would off himself.

And if the service for assisted suicide were available to Robin Williams who suffered from anxiety and depression for most of his life, he may have offed himself in the early '90s and not experienced the joy of seeing great successes that followed in a number of films. He went through his low points and came back more than once. In the end, he made his choice. However, many who suffer from depression eventually find ways to cope and live a rewarding life.

Because it's not that simple as better or worse. It's a mental pain that would make them choose to die rather than live. The continual viewing of a diseased mind as wholly different from a diseased body is part of the problem and not solution. Talk about a way to ensure that people feel even worse.

And many finish the job later on. Because it's not something that they can just get rid of, wish away. It's not a personality issue. It's a medical problem that in thousands of people every year proves fatal.

Perhaps a better solution for helping people with mental illness is to not destroy their lives if they ask for help. Rather than taking away rights and privileges for asking for help, how about treating depression like any other chronic medical problem.

I agree with the above -- especially about treating depression as a medical condition. And hardly any chronic medical problems are treated by offering the patient the option to end it all.

Assisted suicide should not be an easily, readily available option for those not suffering from terminal illness -- it should be a last resort arrived at after all else fails.

With over 7 billion people on earth, I feel like those 40000 Americans who ended their own life is insignificant.

Over half uses firearm to end it. Is it better for them to splatter their brain everywhere and have someone else see it/clean it up?

or is it better to offer them cleaner way to die? so the innocent bystander doesn't have to clean it up.

I feel like it will be traumatic for person to see someone hanging first thing in the morning. I'll be pissed if I walked outside and see someone hanging on the tree with their head bloated and shit and piss everywhere.