champu

Proposed Ban on Type III or Higher Body Armor

This bill is in its infancy, and I don't actually think it will go anywhere, but I'm curious as to what people think about representatives proposing laws like this, as a gesture or otherwise. What does this law say to you when you read it?

https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/5344/text

To save you the trouble of looking it up, type III basically means anything that will stop rifle rounds.

I guess I'm a little worried that the steel plate I have in my basement ( for fabricating things ) could be considered a "shield". Or the engine block in my car could be considered a "shield". Or ... In other words, when Congressmen start solving problems that aren't problems, how many other problems can they cause.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Has there been a recent epidemic of violent incidents involving criminals in body armor that I somehow missed?

Maybe we need a law requiring politicians to wear ball gags at all times, just in case they say something stupid. Which seems a pretty high probability event.

Don

Asinine.
When your government makes passive defensive items illegal, it is time to be scared of the government.

What's next? Brick or concrete block homes made illegal because police bullets can't penetrate them?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

When your government makes passive defensive items illegal, it is time to be scared of the government.

Mr. Honda (for himself, Ms. Kelly of Illinois, Mr. Hastings of Florida, and Mr. Pascrell) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

Who are they?

Mr Honda - Mike, Democrat, California

Ms Kelly - Robin, Democrat, Illinois

Mr Hastings - Either - Alcee (Dem, Florida) or Doc (Rep, Washington),

Mr Pascrell - Bill, Democrat, New Jersey

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Mr Honda seems, then, to be a very reactionary person, or his constituents are very reactionary. (This might also be a good time to reference the whole - emotional vs rational - discussion and how it plays out in politics). But it's a pretty sad thing for any congresscritter to have happen in his district for sure.

Anyway - everyone that watches movies knows that bad guy bullets are stopped by objects in pockets.

- usually a lucky coin given by grandpa from way back when

- or a whiskey flask given at a law enforcement forced retirement party

we should pass a law to distribute whiskey flasks to everyone that doesn't own a gun - just to even the odds. Bill Gates can afford it.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I find it funny as hell that the same people here that are against guns which are used for good and bad, and would like nothing better than to have them all removed from the us.

When it comes to body armor which is used for good and bad they get up in arms about how the government is overstepping and needs to back off taking away their liberties.

>I find it funny as hell that the same people here that are against guns which are
>used for good and bad, and would like nothing better than to have them all
>removed from the us.

>When it comes to body armor which is used for good and bad they get up in arms >about how the government is overstepping and needs to back off taking away
>their liberties.

So far it looks like all the people on this thread support ownership of guns _and_ body armor.

Scubanaff

I find it funny as hell that the same people here that are against guns which are used for good and bad, and would like nothing better than to have them all removed from the us.

When it comes to body armor which is used for good and bad they get up in arms about how the government is overstepping and needs to back off taking away their liberties.

You seem to be very well informed about posters here considering that you only registered a few days ago. Sock puppet, anyone?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I think most times politico's use the word reasonable, it really means the exact opposite......"The Reasonable Body Armor Possession Act". ........with prison terms up to 10 years (sounds "fair") sarc switch off.

Seems like a solution looking for a problem, in other words, more politico hackery. It is amazing what these hacks and their staffs can come up with around election time to crow about.

As far as type 3 goes, I believe pretty much any round larger than 7.62 and over approx. 1500ft/per sec will penetrate.

Maybe as a fund raiser these clowns could put a vest on and auction off live fire tests on them. Hell, broadcast on pay per view, I'd buy in.

My extensive google research says type III is rated against .308/7.62x51 whereas one level down is IIIa which is rated up to .44 mag. So basically they're drawing the line against body armor that protects against most rifle rounds.

.30-06, .338, etc. not withstanding.

My cynical translation of this proposed bill is, "if you get shot by a rifle round it means it was by a cop and you deserve it."

champu

My extensive google research says type III is rated against .308/7.62x51 whereas one level down is IIIa which is rated up to .44 mag. So basically they're drawing the line against body armor that protects against most rifle rounds.

.30-06, .338, etc. not withstanding.

My cynical translation of this proposed bill is, "if you get shot by a rifle round it means it was by a cop and you deserve it."

Correct. IIIA is the light version (stops most handgun rounds) while III will stop most rifle rounds. IV is rated to stop at least one AP rifle round.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

riggerrob......does that mean the Canadian police will start arresting those evil, wicked, mean, politico's that drive around in those armored SUV's (approx. $100K plus cost of vehicle)?

Oh that's right......they're so special.

riggerrob

The media in Vancouver tell us that the only civilians wearing bullet-proof vests while driving around in their armoured SUVs are evil, wicked, mean and nasty drug king-pins.
Canadian police are trying to use armour as an excuse to arrest drug-dealers.

same argument used for window tint

therefore: window tint = body armor
therefore: window tint stops bullets

isn't "armour" some kind of hot dog?

I'm more on the fence about the window tint issue. Enough cops are actually shot/killed during traffic stops that I think a reasonable argument can be made that they should be able to see what is going on in the car. Also when the tint is too dark it compromises the driver's ability to see clearly, especially at night.

Don

GeorgiaDon

I'm more on the fence about the window tint issue. Enough cops are actually shot/killed during traffic stops that I think a reasonable argument can be made that they should be able to see what is going on in the car. Also when the tint is too dark it compromises the driver's ability to see clearly, especially at night.

Don

When you're cool, the sun always shines.

I have lightly tinted windows, but it was a Florida car.

It is, however, a grandpa machine that no self respecting desperado would have anything to do with.

GeorgiaDon

Don

I'm more on the fence about the body armor issue. If enough cops get shot by criminals wearing protective armor, I think a reasonable argument can made that these things should be made illegal. Also when the armor is too heavy it compromises the wearer's ability to move, and it's not comfy when hot.

so, it's apparently another 'where do you draw the line' discussion on how much big brother do you want then?