skycop

LE response in Canada

To all the police critics and keyboard warriors;
Watch as the shots are fired, each one of the officers runs TOWARD the sound of the gunfire. These are the tactics many call the "militarization of the police". They seek out the active shooter and neutralize the threat.
Great job by our brothers and sisters in Canada.
http://www.funker530.com/video-of-ottawa-shooter-being-killed-in-parliament/

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

Agreed!
You are a far better analyst than some Canadian media outlets ... who described that video clip as "chaos!!!"

To your eyes - and my eyes - it looked like a calm, logical, focussed, tactical advance using: tactical bounds, concealment, mutual support, over-lapping arcs of fire, etc.
Kudos to the RCMP (and other security) covering Parliament Hill. They earned their pay-checks today.

An active shooter is chaos by definition, it is the ability to control it that matters.
LE has changed tactics dramatically since Columbine, this is perfect example of the change.
"Isolate and contain" no longer is viable for active shooter scenarios.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

skycop

Actually it was the Sergeant at Arms who neutralized the threat.

Whoever it was, did an excellent job.

Retired RCMP Inspector. I always thought the role was purely ceremonial. Obviously I was mistaken.

Embedded in this news article about Mr. Vickers is some stuff about his background: http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/10/22/parliament_hill_sergeantatarms_hailed_as_hero_in_ottawa.html

Retired RCMP Inspector. I always thought the role was purely ceremonial. Obviously I was mistaken.

So was I and I learned something new about our country today. I always looked at this fellow wearing his goofy looking clothes and goofy hat, holding that wand with his sword thinking "Oh good grief will we ever rid ourselves of of this weird British Parliamentary symbolism". But little did I know that the Sergeant in Arms is armed, is in charge of security in the HoC and Mr Vickers has many years of law enforcement experience under his belt. I still think the Sergeant in Arms wears goofy looking clothes and a goofy hat. But I will never think "Good grief what a dork" anymore. Thank you for what you did today Mr Kevin Vickers. Your heroism and act of bravery along with all the other Law Enforcement staff who rushed towards the gun fire saved the lives of many parliamentarians and their staff.

PS: Classy act for the Pittsburgh Penguins NHL hockey club and all the hockey fans in Pittsburgh this evening who shared in the playing of the Canadian national anthem prior to the start of this evenings Penguins/Flyers NHL hockey game. Typically the only time the Canadian anthem is played is when a Canadian based team is playing that night. But tonight the Penguins and the hockey fans at the game reminded us that the USA is still Canada's best friend in the world.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Only in Canada during a national emergency involving an act of terrorism do a police officers address civilians saying, "Please move aside", "Please clear the way", and Please stay back we are in danger".

Good job guys on this sad day and thumbs up for the Prime Minister Harper calling this an act of terrorism rather than a senseless act of violence as Obama did.
www.geronimoskydiving.com

gunpaq

thumbs up for the Prime Minister Harper calling this an act of terrorism rather than a senseless act of violence as Obama did.

Sigh. OK, since you felt the need to raise it: If one takes the time to look it up and report it accurately, one will see that Obama made at least 2 public statements yesterday, including (but not limited to) the very sentence of the very statement to which you "refer", specifically referring to the attacks in Canada as terrorism.

OK, back to the spirit of the thread: Good on you Canada. Well done. Our thoughts and support are with you all.

aphid

Embedded in this news article about Mr. Vickers is some stuff about his background: http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/10/22/parliament_hill_sergeantatarms_hailed_as_hero_in_ottawa.html

................................................................................

Similarly, the Quebec Sargeant at Arms dis-armed a nut-case a few years ago after that nut-case tried to shoot up the Quebec Provincial Assembly.

I refuse to honor these lone, crazy gunmen with any religious title.

riggerrob

................................................................................

Similarly, the Quebec Sargeant at Arms dis-armed a nut-case a few years ago after that nut-case tried to shoot up the Quebec Provincial Assembly.

Ditto. They're nothing more than a fuckstick loser pissed off at big brother because they couldn't do their own thing to be successful.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

Ditto. They're nothing more than a fuckstick loser pissed off at big brother because they couldn't do their own thing to be successful.

Vancouver media is reminiscing about the years that (Ottawa one-gunman) Michael Zehaf-Bibeau spent drifting through Vancouver's nastier neighborhoods. For a while he smoked crack in the dreaded Downtown Eastside.
Later, he was expelled from a Burnaby mosque for doing too many drugs and other offensive behaviour.
At a low point, MZB brandished a pointy stick in a effort to get sent to jail long enough to kick his crack addiction. The B.C. Provincial Court system failed by not enrolling MZB in a recovery program.
Sadly, Canadian society has lost another angry young man - the hard way. He has gone to mujahidin heaven where he will quickly loose his virginity, taking it up the butt like thousands of other deluded holy warriors.

riggerrob

Vancouver media is reminiscing about the years that (Ottawa one-gunman) Michael Zehaf-Bibeau spent drifting through Vancouver's nastier neighborhoods. For a while he smoked crack in the dreaded Downtown Eastside.
Later, he was expelled from a Burnaby mosque for doing too many drugs and other offensive behaviour.
At a low point, MZB brandished a pointy stick in a effort to get sent to jail long enough to kick his crack addiction. The B.C. Provincial Court system failed by not enrolling MZB in a recovery program.
Sadly, Canadian society has lost another angry young man - the hard way. He has gone to mujahidin heaven where he will quickly loose his virginity, taking it up the butt like thousands of other deluded holy warriors.

Dude. I'd fucking laugh if the devil is giving them a pineapple up the ass every day.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban