RonD1120

Christians and Ebola

WHAT CHRISTIANS SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THE EBOLA CRISIS

For those of us who believe in a sovereign God, we know we're called to remain calm in the midst of the storm. We find confidence not only or primarily in the belief that science will control this outbreak or that we will not be affected. Rather, we hope in the Lord. As the psalmist said, "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble" (Psalm 46:1).

Let believers be the voice of peace amid the confusion. While much of this disease is still unknown, it is equally true that panic will not help us. The unbelieving world needs to see our trust in God amid this difficulty.

http://www.thegospelcoalition.org/en/article/what-christians-should-know-about-the-ebola-crisis
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

WHAT CHRISTIANS SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THE EBOLA CRISIS

For those of us who believe in a sovereign God, we know we're called to remain calm in the midst of the storm. We find confidence not only or primarily in the belief that science will control this outbreak or that we will not be affected. Rather, we hope in the Lord. As the psalmist said, "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble" (Psalm 46:1).

Let believers be the voice of peace amid the confusion. While much of this disease is still unknown, it is equally true that panic will not help us. The unbelieving world needs to see our trust in God amid this difficulty.

http://www.thegospelcoalition.org/en/article/what-christians-should-know-about-the-ebola-crisis

God didn't find a polio vaccine, science did.

God didn't eradicate smallpox, science did.

God didn't find a measles vaccine, science did.

God won't fix the ebola problem. Science is our best bet.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Would the dots be:

*Big pharma
*Create crisis
*Single payor health system
*BHO's Liberal Agenda to transform America
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

regulator

We [as in the USA] own ebola. Why on earth did this get out and why is the damn cure so expensive?

http://www.westernjournalism.com/u-s-government-patented-ebola/

The article's headline asks: "U.S. Government Patented Ebola! Why?"

So, here's the actual patent documentation:

http://www.google.com/patents/US20120251502

Excerpts:

In another aspect, the invention provides vaccine preparations, comprising the inventive hEbola virus, including recombinant and chimeric forms of the virus, nucleic acid molecules comprised by the virus, or protein subunits of the virus

In a related aspect, the invention provides a pharmaceutical composition comprising a prophylactically or therapeutically effective amount of an anti-hEbola EboBun agent and a pharmaceutically acceptable carrier.

In a related aspect, the invention provides an immunogenic formulation comprising an immunogenically effective amount of the inventive hEbola virus described above, and a pharmaceutically acceptable carrier

The invention further relates to the use of the sequence information of the isolated virus for diagnostic and therapeutic methods.

In another aspect, the present invention provides methods for screening antiviral agents that inhibit the infectivity or replication of hEbola virus or variants thereof.

In theory (and in plain English), the concept is basically this: rather than allowing a single pharmaceutical company to be able to monopolize a pharmaceutical therapy, the US govt, as patent-holder, can license it out to multiple manufacturers, thereby, hopefully, increasing the availability of therapeutic treatment to the public, and decreasing the price. At least that's the idea.

This thread is fine for all the Christians, but as an ex-communicated former practitioner of Judaism what am I to do? I am also 50% of Hebrew descent and have attended fundamentalist Baptist and standard Mormon churches in case you needed that info.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Would the dots be:

*Big pharma
*Create crisis
*Single payor health system
*BHO's Liberal Agenda to transform America

Wow. This thread started out as crazy as I thought possible . . . then it got crazier.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It is a good place to start but I don't dwell on it. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is the most important part of the message, IMO. I love America but I don't know much about the Mayflower.

RonD1120

It is a good place to start but I don't dwell on it.

Genesis in the Bible? Yes. It is a "good place to start." The problem is, if the very first words in a book are pretty much 100% wrong, then how can you possibly trust the rest of the book to be telling you the truth?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

regulator

We [as in the USA] own ebola. Why on earth did this get out and why is the damn cure so expensive?

http://www.westernjournalism.com/u-s-government-patented-ebola/

The ability to patent naturally occuring genes is one of the biggest perversions of the patent process ever allowed (though wikipedia indicates that SCOTUS overturned natural gene patents in the US earlier this year, so well done them).

That said, my understanding is that under the old system if a government lab coded it, they could and should patent it. They could then allow for open use or a nominal licencing fee and stop the possibility of a private company either keeping it for themselves or charging prohibitive fees.

I'm kinda out of my depth there and happy to be corrected, but it absolutely does not mean (as the article suggested) that the government invented ebola.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I am a counselor. Natural selection does not mean much in my field. I've made jokes about evolution in the past but I am not knowledgeable in that area.