airdvr

This cop needs to go

normiss

That citizen was doing as his assailant told him to.

True.

I also tell the cop what I am going to do, to avoid this kind of overreaction. Kind of like "I need to open the glove compartment to get my registration and insurance card", and wait for the cop to say "OK". Then, move slowly and deliberately, making sure the cop has a clear view of exactly what I am doing.

Basic survival skills, unfortunately, in an "us vs them" environment.

Don

In the 80's in Dallas, I was on one of my crotch rockets.
Getting harassed by a car load full of kids who were drinking and smoking weed in their car. After I had enough of them, I just twisted the throttle open. At about 100, I see a cop car behind me....so....I twisted more. As soon as he saw I was leaving him, he hit the lights. I pulled over.
Two officers, hands on holsters, unsnapped even. When he asked for my papers - my shocked face told him something! As they stepped back I explained my wallet was in my sock. Now hands on the weapons. I announced every movement as I lifted my pant leg to show the sock first, made eye contact with them, then removed my wallet.
They thanked me. Handed me 10 different warning tickets. Then gave me shit for making them chase me. They were after the kids! Well, until I took off like that anyway.
B|

Having my concealed permit REALLY made me think SERIOUSLY about everything involved in a traffic stop.

GeorgiaDon

***That citizen was doing as his assailant told him to.

True.

I also tell the cop what I am going to do, to avoid this kind of overreaction. Kind of like "I need to open the glove compartment to get my registration and insurance card", and wait for the cop to say "OK". Then, move slowly and deliberately, making sure the cop has a clear view of exactly what I am doing.

Don

This. Always tell a cop what you are going to do, then move slowly while doing it. The guy did not deserve to get shot, but he pivoted quickly and reached in. Sucks to be him. The cop was wrong, and he should be in prison.

That said, I refer you to Chris Black's tutorial... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSSyGic17B0
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

SkyDekker

As a citizen, you should tell the cop what you're going to do before you do it.

In my opinion you already live in a police state if that is what you have to do prior to the cop having even drawn his weapon.

This poor kid was responding to an order. If this is how it went down in Ferguson that cop needs to go as well.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

normiss

In the 80's in Dallas, I was on one of my crotch rockets.

Around 2008 I was indirectly involved in a motor vehicle incident in Eloy. The police were called and I sat on my chopper and waited beside the road for them to attend.

I was leathered up and the sun was beating down. The police showed up fairly quickly and I was asked for some identification. I carried my wallet inside my coat, so, smiling at the officer I immediately unzipped and began to take it off to get my driver license for him.

Only after I retrieved it and put my jacket across the bike did I notice has standing behind his patrol car door. He then lectured me at length to be "more careful in the future" when reaching into my coat for a policeman, suggesting that "90% of the bikers down here carry guns."

I pointed out my British Columbia license plate and laughingly said "we Canadians don't really have guns, much."

It was a harmless encounter, thankfully. But it was certainly a moment of culture shock showing the fundamental differences between our societal norms.

And one I'd rather not repeat.

This poor kid was responding to an order. If this is how it went down in Ferguson that cop needs to go as well.

I'm sure the situation would be quite different, were it not for the dashcam video.

It's rather remarkable that the video wasn't erased, and a claim made that the dashcam was "inoperative".

Don

aphid

***In the 80's in Dallas, I was on one of my crotch rockets.

Around 2008 I was indirectly involved in a motor vehicle incident in Eloy. The police were called and I sat on my chopper and waited beside the road for them to attend.

I was leathered up and the sun was beating down. The police showed up fairly quickly and I was asked for some identification. I carried my wallet inside my coat, so, smiling at the officer I immediately unzipped and began to take it off to get my driver license for him.

Only after I retrieved it and put my jacket across the bike did I notice has standing behind his patrol car door. He then lectured me at length to be "more careful in the future" when reaching into my coat for a policeman, suggesting that "90% of the bikers down here carry guns."

I pointed out my British Columbia license plate and laughingly said "we Canadians don't really have guns, much."

It was a harmless encounter, thankfully. But it was certainly a moment of culture shock showing the fundamental differences between our societal norms.

And one I'd rather not repeat.

Just an example how the potential presence of guns doesn't make for a polite society, but rather increases the chances of a violent society.

THIS.

B-U-T both ways. The cops feel super threaten, the black citizens and some whites feel the same.

The last year my feelings about guns in America have changed. I HAVEN'T fully decided my "new" position but mostly it would boil down to harsh, harsh penalties - enforced - for people that have guns that haven't gone through the process of getting a permit.

The "process" should be insanely strict and not easy and not quick.

A lot of my right friends will disagree and I can see their view but we are in a no-win situation. Cops are shooting to quick. The far left basically seems to believe cops aren't human and should never make a mistake or WORSE should just get shot.......

It would take years, and would be very hard to change the culture but what we have isn't working.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

The guy did not causally reach back into his car, the movements he made matched 100 different scenes from cops where the guy did pull out a gun. YES THE COP TOLD HIM TO GET HIS LICENSE, AND YEA HE WAS DOING THAT.... but the cop just did not go hey you know what fuck you for being you pop pop pop......

cvfd1399

The guy did not causally reach back into his car, the movements he made matched 100 different scenes from cops where the guy did pull out a gun. YES THE COP TOLD HIM TO GET HIS LICENSE, AND YEA HE WAS DOING THAT.... but the cop just did not go hey you know what fuck you for being you pop pop pop......

Seriously? You know we can see the video too right? :S
Even the police authorities disagree with you here.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

In this year's incident, police said Groubert, 31, stopped Jones in the parking lot of a Circle K station in daylight, for what police say was an alleged seat belt violation, around 5 p.m.

Sounds like the use of a seatbelt could have protected him from injury.

:)

I cant have an opinion? After it's over and we are all sitting here on our fat asses being keyboard commanders, I think what he did ended up being the wrong choice, but he did not just execute the dude. He was reacting to a fast movement to the interior of the car that he felt was an attempt to cause harm to the officer, and he was wrong.

When this is what could happen to you every day at your job, you could make that mistake too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5qDRDPI2xQ

The movement in this video is exactly like the one above.

If cops dont apply suspicion and survival skills in their day to day job shit like this happens. Cops are shot/shot at more than they shoot or shoot at innocent people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJHx3UFHMAQ

Hell my firetruck was shot at once. The bullet hit the flashlight behind the drivers headrest. When the cops found the shooters they said the just wanted to "see if they could hit it" you know those fuckers did not even go to jail.....

cvfd1399

The movement in this video is exactly like the one above.

Its also EXACTLY like the movement of someone reaching in to a car to get their license, like happens thousands of times a day.

but he did not just execute the dude.

No but he had a damn good try.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

You have your opinion, and I have mine. There is no way in hell im gonna do a quick spin inside my car like that guy did even if they tell me to get my license. Im gonna tell them I have a concealed carry permit, I have it under my shirt....I would wait for any commands at that point and stand still with my hands outside my pocket. Once that was resolved I would have let them know that it was inside my arm rest, and that I am going to get it.

This isnt some new game plan based off of today's cops, its something I have done for 20 years based off of common sense that a fucking cop is human, has a gun and a shitty job of making split second life decisions.

I can see what you're saying; things can get bad in a serious hurry. But the onus is on the police officer to tell the person just how they want them to behave if the degree of acceptable variation is small. Something like "stop. Don't move until I tell you. Tell me where your license is." Yes it's more for the officer to remember, but it's his job. Tough shit.

This shooting is unacceptable.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)