wildfan75

AFF vs S/L?

I teach that in an emergancy to exit stable and deploy with out delay. It is better to let the A/C have all the altitude below you to make his emergancy landing. It would suck to do a delay and meet a plane who is having an issue after salely saving your life once already.

worth noting. At the time my exits were still getting towards reliable on the hill, and I had limited experience with the 182 (1 jumo, plus 4 on 206U). The prior hnp (5.5) was the first diving exit I had done. Unless I was cheating and prepped for the exit, it would take longer to exit stable through the little front door rather than just getting out.

Since that day I've done many more diving exits, so the flip is far less likely and should be able to toss sooner. (that said, I did experience the trappings of rushing this once - near horseshoe)

too much bullshit rephrasings - I'm done with you, Ron.

Ah, you can't explain how you would rather nap than do life saving training....So I am doing BS rephrasings? ;)

I am interested in the others - less chest thumping going on.

Yeah and they use logic unlike you...."I won't jump out lower than 3 grand, but I'll have no problem leaving at a grand in an emergency" :S

"Since that day I've done many more diving exits, so the flip is far less likely and should be able to toss sooner. (that said, I did experience the trappings of rushing this once - near horseshoe)"

Sounds to me that you could use more life saving training and less nap time. :P
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

worth noting. At the time my exits were still getting towards reliable on the hill, and I had limited experience with the 182 (1 jumo, plus 4 on 206U). The prior hnp (5.5) was the first diving exit I had done. Unless I was cheating and prepped for the exit, it would take longer to exit stable through the little front door rather than just getting out.

Do think that is a good reason for you not to get involved in offering advise on when to exit?

If there is an emergency at 1,800 feet and the pilot says go, you stall in the door and I am pretty sure you will run over.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

We all have stability issues whe nwe start.

Eventually we can leave in any orientation stable (dive poise sit etc.) the deployemtn should be properly oriented to avaoid the issue you pointed out (horse shoe).

But we do not get there with out practice. Next time it is a low day but high enough for you to jump, jump. You can also use it for canopy control and statistically we all can use that.
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I have been on a plane where a student froze in the door at like 3.5 when in a real emergency. She would not go, she would not clear the door, she just sat there while the pilot told us to get the hell out.....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If the student hesitated in the door of my airplane, I would "assist" her out with my boot, because a jump-master is responsible for being the last one out alive.

By the time they have an "A" license, students in both programs (AFF and static-line) will have spent about the same amount of money.

The real variable is how much they spend per jump.

For example, if a student can only afford one PFF (Progressive Freefall, a Canadian program similar to AFF) jump per month, I encourage them to do Gradual Progression, starting with IAD (similar to static-line from the student's perspective), then practice pulls, then a series of short freefalls.
... because I hate repeating PFF levels and re-teaching stuff that they did a month ago, but have now forgotten.