airdvr

Video reportedly shows beheading of reporter Steven Sotloff by ISIS

stayhigh

I mean wipe them out.

If we go there and really slaughter every single human being including children in that region, who is going to really come after USA? Use those nukes. Those nukes are just sitting around not doing shit besides being over weight book ends.

Your own citizens will likely revolt a bit. Most countries will stop doing business with the US. It will go downhill from there.

I really don't want nukes used. This is first a Middle East problem that needs to be dealt with by all nations in the region, especially on the ground. I'd be okay with the US coordinating air strikes on ISIS with foreign ground troops on the ground in a coalition. Lots of air to ground missiles, 500 lb cluster bombs, hell... even a few daisy cutters.

Oh, can we bring back napalm? :P

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

ISIS has clearly shown themselves for who they are and what they stand for.

It will be telling to see which countries stand up to support ending this group. which ones stand to the side. and which ones support them.

it'll let us know who is human.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

It will be telling to see which countries stand up to support ending this group. which ones stand to the side. and which ones support them.

Yep. They are kidnappers and extortionists.

The European journalists that were freed had good sized ransoms paid for their release.

Supposedly they had demanded over $100 million for Foley.

I haven't heard yet what the demand was for Sotloff, but I'd bet it was similar.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

rehmwa

Oh, I'm sure there will be plenty of countries expressing their outrage!!, and offering plenty of moral support for the American taxpayers footing the bill for whatever is actually done.

Andy9o8

Oh, I'm sure there will be plenty of countries expressing their outrage!!, and offering plenty of moral support for the American taxpayers footing the bill for whatever is actually done.

I agree.

"moral" support is so much better than sending their own troops, money, and supplies

Outrage should stop plenty of good sharp knives too

Outrage ROCKS

But I'll wait, maybe 'this time' it'll be different and the rest of the world might, just possibly, stand together on it......

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

But I'll wait, maybe 'this time' it'll be different and the rest of the world might, just possibly, stand together on it......

And do what?
I'm genuinely curious. Short of "peacekeeping", what can we actually do here?
From my limited reading of this, there is no real figurehead to depose/kill, the organisation is unapologetically terrorist and organised as such. By sending in a large ground force you just set yourself up for a decades long conflict not really going anywhere and costing a lot of lives and in the end, probably converting more people to the opposition cause against the big bad foreign invader.

I haven't done much research here but this one seems particularly unwinnable.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Supposedly they had demanded over $100 million for Foley.

It might have been a good idea to pay it. In $1 bills, 100 million of them, each one treated with a generous helping of Ebola. By the time the first ISIS members begin to show symptoms, the money will have been spread around so much all of them will have been exposed.

Don

Careful what you say on the internet
Not every extremist shares your sense of humour
If they take you seriously, they might treat you the same way they treated that Danish cartoonist
Can you run faster than Al Queda/ISIS/Taliban/Front de Liberation du Quebec/KKK/Crimson Jihad/Bruderbund fanatic trying to drive a truck bomb up your @$$?

Special forces strikes on infrastructure and assasination (spelling?) of high ranking leaders probably using drones.

No need for boots on ground.

Stumpy

And do what?
I'm genuinely curious. Short of "peacekeeping", what can we actually do here?
From my limited reading of this, there is no real figurehead to depose/kill, the organisation is unapologetically terrorist and organised as such. By sending in a large ground force you just set yourself up for a decades long conflict not really going anywhere and costing a lot of lives and in the end, probably converting more people to the opposition cause against the big bad foreign invader.

I haven't done much research here but this one seems particularly unwinnable.

Backintothesky

Special forces strikes on infrastructure and assasination (spelling?) of high ranking leaders probably using drones.

No need for boots on ground.

Who is going to find and identify these "high ranking leaders" and what infrastructure are you talking about? As I understand it (and I may well be wrong!) these guys aren't a conventional army with conventional infrastructure.

It would be great if there was a quick and easy solution but there are a few history lessons that suggest that ain't gonna happen.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Stumpy

and what infrastructure are you talking about? As I understand it (and I may well be wrong!) these guys aren't a conventional army with conventional infrastructure.

They supposedly make millions of dollars off of oil wells which they have taken over. So, one strategy that occurs to me, is to cut off the source of their income, by bombing those oil wells.

But what the heck do I know...

That's how our gas price will go up in near future.

I can already hear the cry of oil company, "Due to instability of the gulf region, the oil production has been reduced, the barrel of crude oil went over 120 bucks a gallon, now for temporarily the gas price will go up to 5 bucks a gallon"

and we'll never see that price come down ever again.

Don't you feel little suspicious that our news were saying that the gas price has hit the lowest price in 3-4 years or something like that?

Just like our jump tickets, it went up to 26 dollar range from 20 dollar range due to the oil price going up. Now that price has went down you still see 26 dollar jump ticket as if the price of oil stayed the same. Same goes for our price of dairy products and bunch of other shit.

Time and time again, funny thing is that when the crude oil price goes up, price on our end follows almost immediately but when the crude oil price goes down, our end barely drops after few weeks.

Fuck these guys.

Okay so when there was a war the oil price sky rocketed right? How come we haven't seen a drop of oil from Iraq after the war? The fucking cost remained the same. Now we are so used to paying 4 bucks, 3 something feels cheap.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

riggerrob

Careful what you say on the internet
Not every extremist shares your sense of humour
If they take you seriously, they might treat you the same way they treated that Danish cartoonist
Can you run faster than Al Queda/ISIS/Taliban/Front de Liberation du Quebec/KKK/Crimson Jihad/Bruderbund fanatic trying to drive a truck bomb up your @$$?

I don't give a fuck. ISIS can go to hell for all I care. That's where they're all going anyway.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

normiss

You'd risk that large of a region of the planet to openly spread ebola????
Jebus.

oops

Allah.

............................................................................................

Some religious fanatics would perceive an Ebola epidemic as God's wrath punishing sinful humans.
This perception is the same as when God punished (blood, frogs, gnats, death of the animals, hail, locusts and darkness) ancient Egyptians for their (slave beating) sins until they quit sinning against the ancient tribes of Israel.
For more details read about the trials and tribulations of the prophet Moses in the Talmud, Bible (Exodus chapter 7) or Koran.

>Okay so when there was a war the oil price sky rocketed right? How come we
>haven't seen a drop of oil from Iraq after the war?

I remember the good old days, right before the Iraq war, where right wingers were swearing on stacks of Bibles that the Iraq war had NOTHING to do with getting cheaper oil, that was NOT a goal, the entire premise was ludicrous, "how dare you!" etc etc.

May be he should have read the book "How to avoid being killed in a war zone " by Brtish journalist Rosie Garthwaite
Major news networks require formal training courses (IED, kidnaping, robbery, diseases, fires, riots and mudslides) before sending journalists to dangerous places.

riggerrob

May be he should have read the book "How to avoid being killed in a war zone " by Brtish journalist Rosie Garthwaite
Major news networks require formal training courses (IED, kidnaping, robbery, diseases, fires, riots and mudslides) before sending journalists to dangerous places.

Unfortunately, such training (along with insurance and protection) has become a rarity, as major news outlets increasingly use (and exploit) freelance journalists. Here's one example of several stories I've recently read discussing this.

The Life of a War Correspondent Is Even Worse Than You Think

Andy9o8

***May be he should have read the book "How to avoid being killed in a war zone " by Brtish journalist Rosie Garthwaite

Unfortunately, such training (along with insurance and protection) has become a rarity, as major news outlets increasingly use (and exploit) freelance journalists. Here's one example of several stories I've recently read discussing this.

The Life of a War Correspondent Is Even Worse Than You Think

Another sad case of major corporations sub-contracting the most dangerous work to poorly-paid, part-time employees.