piisfish

9yr old girl and Uzi

jakee

Even after that murder occurred.

Or suicide, no-one really knows.

Funny thing about that analogy though - DZs have age limits;)

swimming pools and oceans do not. Scuba diving is now promoted to 8 yos (not what I would suggest, but nevertheless) Skiing, snowboarding,

young kids probably shouldn't be handling automatic weapons in rapid fire, but I see little reason they can't be at the range.

stayhigh

I'm pretty sure that the kid will forget about it after couple years, until the day someone goes, "Hey! Let's go shooting!".

Your pretty sure about that? How many people have you killed to know how it effects the person.

My uncle that was one of triplets killed his brother playing with a gun when he was 7 years old. I guaranty you he never forgot it until he died at 68 . He still was an avid hunter all his life though.
He never blamed the gun.
I loved and miss that man. My uncle. And I am damn glad it was not his other triplet or I would not be here.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

stayhigh

I'm pretty sure that the kid will forget about it after couple years, until the day someone goes, "Hey! Let's go shooting!".

A former colleague of mine shot and killed an intruder in his home. Ruled justifiable homicide, not arrested or charged with anything. Intruder was a drunk and unarmed.

He became very disturbed about having killed someone. Sold his guns, sold the home, quit his job, separated from his wife.

I don't think you can predict how killing someone will affect an individual, even when society rules it justified.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

JerryBaumchen

Hi joe,

Giving a 9 YO a full auto Uzi is idiotic.

And I agree. However, according to what I heard on the radio, he did not give it to her in full auto mode. She, apparently, inadvertently switched it over & then started firing.

JerryBaumchen

.................................................................................

Sounds like your local radio station F.........d up their report.
Shock!
Horror!
Outrage!
Has a local radio station ever I inaccurately reported a parachute/airplane/train/boating accident?

Height is going to be a poor measure - more about grip strength.
...........................................................................................

Good point!
Maybe the kid should be forced to carry the (unloaded) machine gun from the front desk to the firing line. A similar test would require them to carry an ammo can - containing a full belt - from the front desk to the firing line.
If they cannot carry a 22 pound (10 kilogram) ammo belt, they are advised to go to the gym and lift weights until they are strong enough to return to the shooting range.

Pure luck that the father did not get shot in the head.
Better management would have shooting instructors taught how to "shadow" students similar to the ways that skydiving instructors "shadow" (S/L, IAD and FF) students close to the airplane door. A good shooting instructor should be able to grab the gun before it aims at him.

The best instructors use their superior judgement to avoid situations where they need superior reflexes to prevent accidents (e.g. allowing girls to fire a automatic weapons when they lack the muscle to keep them pointed at the target).

Usually, the under twelve crowd prefers shooting younger siblings or neighbors kids.

......................................................................................

Some of those little shits deserve to be shot for the cruel ways they treated the shooter yesterday.
However, adults are supposed to limit children's, risks until they mature enough to make mature decisions with dangerous toys like guns, drugs, alcohol, parachutes, motor vehicles, etc.

stayhigh

Exactly what I'm saying, the girl could've just shot the dude out of curiosity. Without thinking that the bullet will actually kill the guy.

Kids see hundreds of people shot every week on TV and movies. Next week they see the same actor running around in another movie.
What is the fuss?
TV and other media do not teach kids the FINALITY of shooting people.

JerryBaumchen

However, according to what I heard on the radio, he did not give it to her in full auto mode. She, apparently, inadvertently switched it over & then started firing.

How could this possibly be knowable by anyone except the instructor? Even then really.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Try to look at this from the legislator's perspective.
If the legislator is bright enough to enact preventative laws before an accident, then his ass is covered.
If some fool ignores the regulation when he hurts himself, the legislator's ass is covered. The legislator gets re-elected and everybody is happy.

kallend

*********A case of inexperience and incompetence, much the same as trying to swoop a pond when you don't know how.

How much experience and competence do you expect in a 9 year old?

Not much, the burden of experience and competence rests with the instructor, now deceased.

The instructor was a veteran who had served in Iraq and Afghanistan and had been a firearms instructor for years. Apparently this isn't enough experience and competence.

He failed to learn from the 2013 Uzi incident, and fortunately* he paid for that failure with his life and not the life of someone else. Yes, I think his poor instruction is a clear demonstration of incompetence.

(*Best of all would be learning without injury or death, but better him than someone else - he was supposed to know the risks and mitigate them or shut it down.)

cgriff

***Are you proposing a Guns for Tits program? :P

Ah, kind of like the old Toys for Tatas back home... a little Christmas cheer...

................................................................................

That sounds like strippers for charity.
If the audience does not donate enough money, quick enough, they march out the wrinkly, saggy, old crack whore who should have retired last year!
Hah!
Hah!

quade

***However, according to what I heard on the radio, he did not give it to her in full auto mode. She, apparently, inadvertently switched it over & then started firing.

How could this possibly be knowable by anyone except the instructor? Even then really.

Mr. Quade,
Please go back and watch the original video. The original video shows her firing the first shot. Then you see the instructor reaching for the selector switch. You hear the selector switch "click!"
The instructor says "full auto."
The video concludes with a bullet in his head.
An obvious sequence to an experienced observer, shooter, listener, etc.
Anyone who has handled an Uzi knows that if you "click" the selector switch from "1" it can only go two places. Either the selector switch goes to "full auto" or it goes to "silent."

quade

Now . . . YOU go back and read Jerry's comment.

...................................................................................
After going back to read Jerry's comment and reviewing the original video, I concluded that the Portland, Oregon radio commentator was
unprofessional because he failed to check his facts (e.g. watch the original video) before speculating on the air.

I even phoned Jerry to confirm that he heard the story on the local National Public Radio affiliate. Jerry said that he took the story at face value because NPR's quality is normally more reliable than competing commercial radio stations.
We were both disappointed when we realized that NPR have allowed their fact-checking quality to deteriorate.
That makes audiences wonder of some-one at NPR has an anti-gun agenda????????
It is sad when the media allow political agendas to interfere with honest reporting.

If you are wondering about my personal agenda, I have a slightly pro-gun bias (see my recent review of the FG 42 rifle), but guns in the hands of bungling amateurs (e.g. 9-year-old girls) scare the crap out of me!!!!!!

In the end, both Jerry and I agree that giving fully-automatic Uzis to 9-year-old girls is idiotic!

dmkellett

just happy to live somewhere where the average idiot is NOT packing a full auto hand cannon

So am I. I live in the USA, and your average idiot as you put is not carrying full auto hand cannons.
But the average idiot thinks they are.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

BartsDaddy

just happy to live somewhere where the average idiot is NOT packing a full auto hand cannon

So am I. I live in the USA, and your average idiot as you put is not carrying full auto hand cannons.
But the average idiot thinks they are.

I'm just happy I live somewhere there's not didjeridu music (if you can call it that) playing everywhere you go 24 hours a day.

so what exactly is your plan for getting the illegal guns out of the criminals hands?... you do have one right?

with 200$ on the street I can have a decent handgun in Portland in less than 30 min - I imagine I could do the same in any major city.

full auto might take me a bit longer but I have no doubt I could get one.

drugs and guns flow across the border - taking them out of the hands of law abiding people will accomplish little.

this was a tragic accident with the root cause being complacency.

oh, and nobody Packs a full auto hand cannon on a day to day basis other than the criminals
we are restricted to semi auto.

sure wish you guys in other countries would learn what the hell you were talking about before engaging your fingers on the keyboard.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Since machine guns and rocket launchers are "prohibited" they are rare in Canada. Only criminals carry "prohibited" weapons in Canada, ergo few Canadians are killed by "prohibited" weapons. The majority of Canadian shooting victims are already "known to police" while most of the shooters are also "known to police." As long as criminals limit shootings to other criminals, the average Canadian citizen prefers to ignore the whole issue of gun violence with "prohibited weapons."

dmkellett

when will USA wake up?
lots of guns = lots of gun deaths
no guns = very very few gun deaths...

its so freaking obvious

When will the rest of the world understand . . . it is a choice we make, and even IF we were to abolish guns, gun crime would be here to stay because some people just have no sense of right and wrong?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun