stayhigh

Washington Redskins. Needs to change their team name?

DanG

As far as suing for emotional damage, what's more likely, suing after the team changes the name in good faith, or suing because the team refuses to change the name with a big fat fuck you?

Any name change could be used in a lawsuit as evidence of guilt.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

billvon

And to me there is a huge difference between a team name that a bunch of activists think is a pejorative, and a team name that American Indians think is a pejorative.

this -

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>Some Native Americans find it pejorative, and some don't.

The vast majority do not.

When it comes to whether a specific racial name is pejorative or not, I tend to go with the vast majority of the people in that race over the opinions of others.

So before you decide if nigger is pejorative you need to poll the black population?

If so, should we just let people self identify if they are black, or should there be additional proof of their blackness? How black would one have to be to have a valid opinion on the offensiveness of nigger?

DanG

I'd like to see them change the name to the Washington Warriors,

violence offends people - so does war

as the culture evolves and, inevitably, the social conscious people decide that the word "war" is offensive, then do we mandate another name change? Or, do we just wait until the owners decide to do it for business relations reasons

You don't buy their stuff and you make sure they know it. I think that's the real pressure and how it should work. Once enough like minded people do it, then the group will change the name because it makes business sense.

Now - Legal or political pressure under threat of law would be over the top - but what you are doing (personal choice and awareness) is the best and only acceptable mechanism - IMHO>

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

DanG

I don't think it's a strange standard at all. Actual Native American teams, composed on actual Native Americans, can call themselves Redskins if they want. It can be empowering.

Huh? Calling oneself and identifying by the corresponding racial pejorative is empowering?

White people don't have the right to call non-white people niggers, spics, slopes, or redskins. Sorry, that's just the way it is. Similarly, non-white people don't have the right to call white people cracker or honkey.

Yet other races do call white people cracker or honkey. For the most part, we don't take offense to it. Double standard.

Ever think "it's just the way it is" because we let it? Here's a guy who (yeah, I heard that as Madden in my head) for whatever reason is standing up to political correctness idiocy and being vilified.

SkyDekker

Yet other races do call white people cracker or honkey. For the most part, we don't take offense to it.

Really? Somebody calling me cracker I would take offense to.

Really?

Truly?

:D:D

Your joking right?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

Yet other races do call white people cracker or honkey. For the most part, we don't take offense to it.

Really?

Truly?

Your joking right?

No, I am not joking. I would find it offensive.

Next time you have a meeting with a senior caucasian officer in your company, call him or her cracker. See if that person finds it offensive.

as the culture evolves and, inevitably, the social conscious people decide that the word "war" is offensive, then do we mandate another name change? Or, do we just wait until the owners decide to do it for business relations reasons

Reductio ad absurdum

You don't buy their stuff and you make sure they know it. I think that's the real pressure and how it should work. Once enough like minded people do it, then the group will change the name because it makes business sense.

Now - Legal or political pressure under threat of law would be over the top - but what you are doing (personal choice and awareness) is the best and only acceptable mechanism - IMHO>

I agree. I don't think they should be forced to change their name by the government, I think they should change their name on their own. I'd like to see them do it because it's the right thing to do, but if they do it for business reasons alone, I'll take it.

- Dan G

Calling oneself and identifying by the corresponding racial pejorative is empowering?

Uh, yeah. Gays took back queer, and seem to find it quite empowering. Blacks are doing something similar with nigger, although there is a lot of debate within their community about whether that's right or not.

If you don't take offense to it, that's your choice, but I think most whites do.

- Dan G

rushmc

Really?

Truly?

Your joking right?

if someone called me a cracker i would know its an insult and take offense. not so much because the word bothers me but because they are obviously attempting to insult me. seems reasonable, i think.

should the Redskins name be changes? i dont know. it seems to me the only people offended are white liberals. BUT i know a lot of them living in NYC and very few Native Americans.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

SkyDekker

>Some Native Americans find it pejorative, and some don't.

The vast majority do not.

When it comes to whether a specific racial name is pejorative or not, I tend to go with the vast majority of the people in that race over the opinions of others.

So before you decide if nigger is pejorative you need to poll the black population?

If so, should we just let people self identify if they are black, or should there be additional proof of their blackness? How black would one have to be to have a valid opinion on the offensiveness of nigger?

My experience as a substance use disorder counselor for court ordered clients indicated that the term "Nigger" was reserved for inner city gang bangers. When used among themselves it is pronounced "Nigga" and is not offensive. Any reference used by a white counselor was offensive, including their first or last name.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

SkyDekker

Really?

Truly?

Your joking right?

No, I am not joking. I would find it offensive.

Next time you have a meeting with a senior caucasian officer in your company, call him or her cracker. See if that person finds it offensive.

Cracker is a Southern term only. It is not applicable elsewhere. It would make no sense.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

SkyDekker

***Well, that's just you.

I live in Gringotown myself.

We make our own jokes about that.

Insiders will always be able to make different jokes than outsiders. Which is exactly the point.

Oh, I forgot when I lived in NM I was a "Gringo." Most people don't know it means stranger. The general term there was "Anglo." That is what the "Chicanos" called us.

DanG

Reductio ad absurdum

really? have you been paying attention at all to the language police?

clearly you are just insensitive to the great contributions and issues of our returning vets and current servicemen, which is largely composed by people of both sexes as well as from low income backgrounds. I guess you are just fine with war on those brown people from other countries....

Many citizens are also traumatized mentally and physically by violence and war while you sit and play video games. How insensitive....

or are you just a Harry Potter fan in extremis? I'm ok with that

(that was fun....wow, being a liberal is really liberating...... - and yes, I do agree with your assessment, but it's less and less surprising to see the absurd come to reality)

>So before you decide if nigger is pejorative you need to poll the black population?

No, that's pretty clear.

But is the term"niggardly" a pejorative? How about "African-American?" Or "black?" Or "Negro?" I'd leave that up to them. I am a good authority on what offends me - other people are better authorities on what offends them.

>So how can you dismiss all the people who are offended by redskin?

I don't dismiss them. However, I tend to take them less seriously than you do. Most of them appear to be oversensitive non-Native-Americans who feel that people SHOULD be offended by something, rather than the group of people the term refers to who ARE offended by something.

But that's their right; they can be offended by anything they like. If they want to get together and refuse to ever go to a Redskins game, or buy any Redskins paraphernalia, or watch any advertising on a channel that offers Redskins games - that's their right, too, and I support their right to do that.

If people on both sides simply support each other's rights to complain, and vote with their dollars, then the problem quickly resolves itself.

And you never answered my question about Oklahoma. Do you support naming a state such a racially charged name?

Solution; Any trait determined solely by DNA: race, hair color, sex, sexual orientation, etc. is no longer a valid description or criteria of or for a group of people and more importantly can't be used as a differentiating metric for statistics or census.

In return, any DNA based name offensive to anyone is subject to censure.

Iago

Shrug

Ive never let that stuff bother me. Just dont call me late for dinner.

+1

General comments/insults don't bother me.
Once they start getting personal is when I take notice.