stayhigh

Washington Redskins. Needs to change their team name?

quade

******the rednecks are leading the poll :o

was that a racial slur ?

No. It is not. "Redneck" refers to a bandana (an article of clothing) tied around a persons neck.

right I am sure Mr. stayhigh was referring to a bandana :S
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Rick

*********the rednecks are leading the poll :o

was that a racial slur ?

No. It is not. "Redneck" refers to a bandana (an article of clothing) tied around a persons neck.

right I am sure Mr. stayhigh was referring to a bandana :S

sorry I responded before your edit

so in the same vein I am sure when the term cracker is used then what is being referred to is a Florida cattle driver?

Rick

so in the same vein I am sure when the term cracker is used then what is being referred to is a Florida cattle driver?

I've been white all my life. There is ZERO any other ethnic group can call me in an attempt to insult me that has any effect whatsoever. NONE. Somebody wants to call me a cracker? Fuck, dude, go for it. Seriously. The word has absolutely no effect whatsoever. In fact, it's comical. It's like a two-year-old human attempting to hurt a fully grown elephant. It's just not going to happen.

ON THE OTHER HAND, I am 100% certain I can cause pain to ethnic groups by calling them names and their reaction to my words is justified because, like it or not, people who look like me (white, European) totally fucked over these people for hundreds of years.

I choose to not be a total fucking douchebag by hurting other people in that way.

You can do as you like.

Yay, First Amendment.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>I choose to not be a total fucking douchebag by hurting other people in that way.

I do too - but I also think that other people can decide do be douchebags if they want. (BTW let's hope that particular sexist insult doesn't start rubbing women the wrong way . . . .)

quade

***so in the same vein I am sure when the term cracker is used then what is being referred to is a Florida cattle driver?

I've been white all my life. There is ZERO any other ethnic group can call me in an attempt to insult me that has any effect whatsoever. NONE. Somebody wants to call me a cracker? Fuck, dude, go for it. Seriously. The word has absolutely no effect whatsoever. In fact, it's comical. It's like a two-year-old human attempting to hurt a fully grown elephant. It's just not going to happen.

ON THE OTHER HAND, I am 100% certain I can cause pain to ethnic groups by calling them names and their reaction to my words is justified because, like it or not, people who look like me (white, European) totally fucked over these people for hundreds of years.

I choose to not be a total fucking douchebag by hurting other people in that way.

You can do as you like.

Yay, First Amendment.

your innuendo that I use racial slurs aside I am not talking about how I feel I am talking about the intent.

If you use a word to demean someone it matters more how you use it than how it is taken

quade

***so in the same vein I am sure when the term cracker is used then what is being referred to is a Florida cattle driver?

I've been white all my life.

I was born a poor black child. :P

There is ZERO any other ethnic group can call me in an attempt to insult me that has any effect whatsoever. NONE. Somebody wants to call me a cracker? Fuck, dude, go for it. Seriously. The word has absolutely no effect whatsoever. In fact, it's comical. It's like a two-year-old human attempting to hurt a fully grown elephant. It's just not going to happen.

That's because words only have power when people let them.

Only if people in those ethnic groups choose to let words cause them pain.

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Rick

so in the same vein I am sure when the term crackyour innuendo that I use racial slurs aside I am not talking about how I feel I am talking about the intent.

If you use a word to demean someone it matters more how you use it than how it is taken

I want you (personal pronoun) need to read this again.

My use of the word "you" in the previous post was INTENDED as impersonal pronoun (meaning not you personally, but the post would apply to anyone reading). Yet, for some reason, my intent doesn't seem to matter; you (personal pronoun) still took offense.

Hmmm. Somehow I kinda think this proves intent might not actually make as much of a difference as you seem to think it does and how the person reacts to it IS kind of the point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_you
quade -

stayhigh

?

"Your Honor, I want to change my name."

"Well, this is a very serious matter, and you had better have a very good reason before the Court will consider you request. What is your name?"

"Joe Shit."

"My goodness, we will certainly change your name! What is the name you wish?"

"Fred Shit."

Anyhow, there were some guys with whom I worked in Switzerland that ran a night spot by the name of the 'Dago Bar.' It had no negative connotations for them.

The biggest use of seemingly derogatory epithets I have witnessed has been self-identified. 'Faggot,' 'nigger,' 'spic,' 'beaner,' etc. have been bandied back and forth in my presence, to and from people that fit the description.

'Nigger,' FWIW, is simply a variant of a word meaning 'black,' but its context has made its rather benign etymology moot. Most other epithets have similarly mild origins.

As far as 'Redskins' goes, I don't even know offhand what sport is involved, and thus don't really care one way or another.

BSBD,

Winsor

billvon

>I hear some people are even pissed off about grocery stores selling redskin potatoes.

Let's hope none of them ever look up where the word "Oklahoma" came from.

Oh my, we're gonna have to change the name of that State too. And the musical show by that name also - who knew that it was just a veiled racist program!

normiss

Well your first sentence makes no sense at all.
In the south "cracker" IS a a racial slur.
That IS it's intent when nice people of a dark pigment skin refer to us "whities".
You most likely have no understanding of this.

Oh I understand the intent. What I'm saying is, who the fuck cares? If somebody calls you (personal pronoun) a "cracker" does that REALLY have any effect on you or is that simply laughable? To me it's simply laughable. It's not that it's meaningless or has no intent, it's that it has no effect. None. Call me a cracker all day long. No effect whatsoever.

There is literally no racial insult anyone could possibly hurl at me that would. None.
quade -

normiss

In full agreement there.
How's this work with other races?

Well, they actually HAVE a history of being racially discriminated against, lied to, enslaved, raped, tortured, been victims of germ warfare, genocide, had their land taken away from them by invaders . . . the list is kind of long.

So . . . they might actually see things quite a bit different than myself AND are justified in doing so.
quade -

quade

***In full agreement there.

Well, they actually HAVE a history of being racially discriminated against, lied to, enslaved, raped, tortured, been victims of germ warfare, genocide, had their land taken away from them by invaders . . . the list is kind of long.

Who hasn't been mistreated by another race? Hell, who hasn't been mistreated by their own race?

So . . . they might actually see things quite a bit different than myself AND are justified in doing so.

Are they really? How is that helping them advance and working to eliminate racism?
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

>Oh I understand the intent. What I'm saying is, who the fuck cares?

Well, who the fuck cares about Redskins? Not the vast majority of Native Americans. Clearly some non-Indians are all up in arms about it - and thus we must change the name lest we offend them.

The only criterion here is that _someone_ who was once discriminated against might be offended by the term cracker. Might be a group of white women in Georgia who have a history of being sexually discriminated against. Might just be some guy who THINKS there are white women being discriminated against. Doesn't matter; it might cause pain to a group of people who have been discriminated against in the past, and your acceptance of it is therefore offensive.

Bolas

******In full agreement there.

Who hasn't been mistreated by another race? Hell, who hasn't been mistreated by their own race?

Are they really? How is that helping them advance and working to eliminate racism?

So your 3rd great grandparents were slaves???

How many of your ancestors are first nations peoples??

As a Southerner, the terms "Redneck" and "Cracker" are not offensive. Oh, up in the mountains, neither is "Hillbilly." We are proud of our American differences.

I was born an Ohio "Buckeye" and when my parents moved south I became a "Yankee." In high school I became a "Chamberlain Chief." After graduation I joined the USAF and was a "Wingnut." At least that is what the "Grunts" and "Jarheads" called us.

After college many thought I was a "Hippie" but, I was really a "Freak."

Now, worst of all, I am a "Right Wing Conservative Christian."

My grandfather worked all over the West, 1900-1917. He frequently interchanged the terms "Indians" and "Redskins." In 1917 he joined the USA and went to fight the "Jerries." He had no enemies and was well loved.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.