kallend

Gun for home defense

No it does not work out the way we'd like sometimes. but for every tragedy like this there are many more would be tragedies where the innocent were saved and the perp got shot full of holes and got what they deserved...and legal too!

Freedom and liberty are not perfect nor risk free!

Maddox told deputies she had placed a chair against the bedroom door handle for extra protection.

Possibly paranoid grandmother, who can't follow basic gun safety.

People that fail to use tools correctly cause accidents that injure themselves, others, and damage property. We could also post news articles about people cutting their fingers off on their table saw after they disabled all the guards, or driving recklessly resulting in horrible car accidents to bystanders.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Boomerdog

No it does not work out the way we'd like sometimes. but for every tragedy like this there are many more would be tragedies where the innocent were saved and the perp got shot full of holes and got what they deserved...and legal too!

Freedom and liberty are not perfect nor risk free!

Plus we all know that anybody here with a gun would never make a mistake.....this shit only happens to other people!!

SkyDekker

Plus we all know that anybody here with a gun would never make a mistake.....this shit only happens to other people!!

Better stop skydiving, operating your car and other pieces of heavy equipment and using power tools.

I heard Staples is having a great sale on big rolls of bubble wrap.
=P

DougH

Better stop skydiving, operating your car and other pieces of heavy equipment and using power tools.

I heard Staples is having a great sale on big rolls of bubble wrap.

Yes, that is exactly the same as a granchild getting shot while trying to get to his grandmother.

SkyDekker

Yes, that is exactly the same as a granchild getting shot while trying to get to his grandmother.

I wasn't comparing packing granny to mistake making skydiver.

It was a comparison between an asinine comment about gun owners potential to make mistakes, and an equally asinine comment about making mistakes during other activities that have the potential for harmful and dangerous outcomes.

Stop doing dangerous shit by your own admission you are possible mistake making machine.
=P

DougH

Yes you were.

No-one claims that they skydive to make themselves safer.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

Yes you were.

No-one claims that they skydive to make themselves safer.

Nevertheless, I have heard people claim that the drive to the airport is safer than the skydive.

If that is the case, they are a world-class bad driver.

>People that fail to use tools correctly cause accidents that injure themselves,
>others, and damage property.

Agreed. And more than any other item out there, guns are excellent accident amplifiers.

>We could also post news articles about people cutting their fingers off on their
>table saw after they disabled all the guards, or driving recklessly resulting in
>horrible car accidents to bystanders.

Well, to make it parallel, every post about a table saw accident would have to be accompanied by posts from table saw advocates saying "there are TOO MANY guards on table saws; that's the problem! If people are losing fingers, the only answer is more table saws."

>People that fail to use tools correctly cause accidents that injure themselves,
>others, and damage property.

Agreed. And more than any other item out there, guns are excellent accident amplifiers.

What about automobiles? Far more accidents, death, and personal / property damage result from autos....
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

>What about automobiles? Far more accidents, death, and personal / property
>damage result from autos....

Death toll is about the same, actually. (Both about 35k a year.)

But yes, cars are dangerous; arguably about as dangerous as guns. Which is one reason we require licenses to drive them, require cars to be insured, require cars to be registered and have a lot of laws about how and where you use them, and what condition you have to be in before it is legal to use one.

So if your argument is "cars are dangerous too so we should ban both cars and guns" OK, good luck with that. If your argument is "they should be regulated the same way because they are dangerous" - again, good luck with gun registration and licensing.

DougH

Better stop skydiving

I've never seen an article (even in Florida or Texas) where leaving a skydiving rig around the home and someone taking it, jumping and killing themselves or others.

Guns around the house or in the hands of the incompetent or just plain inept - kids getting killed; seems to happen every few days in the US
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

billvon

Which is one reason we require licenses to drive them, require cars to be insured, require cars to be registered and have a lot of laws about how and where you use them, and what condition you have to be in before it is legal to use one.

To drive on public roads, yes.

What requirements/restrictions are there to operate a motor vehicle solely on one's own land?

One could also carry that vehicle in an open or closed (concealed) trailer over public roads to other private property. ;)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Bolas

***Which is one reason we require licenses to drive them, require cars to be insured, require cars to be registered and have a lot of laws about how and where you use them, and what condition you have to be in before it is legal to use one.

What requirements/restrictions are there to operate a motor vehicle solely on one's own land?

One could also carry that vehicle in an open or closed (concealed) trailer over public roads to other private property. ;)

I think that when people start driving cars inside their home and killing their grandchildren, there would be pretty quick response in the form of legislation.

SkyDekker

******Which is one reason we require licenses to drive them, require cars to be insured, require cars to be registered and have a lot of laws about how and where you use them, and what condition you have to be in before it is legal to use one.

I think that when people start driving cars inside their home and killing their grandchildren, there would be pretty quick response in the form of legislation.

I think that is already illegal in some states :P
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Hi John,

Doesn't always work out the way you'd like:

It is not that unusual:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ty_Cobb

"On August 8, 1905, Cobb's mother fatally shot his father with a pistol that his father had purchased for her. Court records indicate that Mr. Cobb had suspected his wife of infidelity and was sneaking past his own bedroom window to catch her in the act. She saw the silhouette of what she presumed to be an intruder and, acting in self-defense, shot and killed her husband. Mrs. Cobb was charged with murder and then released on a $7,000 recognizance bond. She was acquitted on March 31, 1906."

JerryBaumchen

>What requirements/restrictions are there to operate a motor vehicle solely on
>one's own land?

Depends on the state. In some places you don't have to do anything. In some places you have to keep it registered but if you file for "planned nonoperation" you don't have to pay anything.

billvon

>What about automobiles? Far more accidents, death, and personal / property
>damage result from autos....

Death toll is about the same, actually. (Both about 35k a year.)

Only if you're willing to be dishonest about it, Bill. Suicides have little place in the conversation being made. And they represent 19 of the 30k gun deaths (rounding up to 35 is a smaller level of dishonesty). But 11k doesn't really sound close to 35k.

But yes, cars are dangerous; arguably about as dangerous as guns. Which is one reason we require licenses to drive them, require cars to be insured, require cars to be registered and have a lot of laws about how and where you use them, and what condition you have to be in before it is legal to use one.

Just as laughable for anyone that has purchased a gun and a car in California, for example. (or any state that doesn't allow direct private sales).

And I've never seen a ZipGuns service that lets me rent a gun for 2 hours (and not need insurance or to prove my condition before getting one). And I'm pretty sure you can't legally buy a gun after shooting someone. But plenty of people crash their cars, kill others, and still are able to drive, buy cars. You can rack up a substantial number of violations over a short period of time and the only impact is monetary.

Trying to say that cars are more regulated than guns is a losing battle, Bill.

SkyDekker

This particular incident is pretty far outside the realm of 'making a mistake.' Putting a light on the gun, or a better lock on the door could have been enough to avoid this outcome.

The whole idea of chair sound security and shooting any sound makes me wonder what the back story on this family is. I suspect they had real or perceived threats that drove this behavior.