Anvilbrother

Riots over a shoting turn into free jordans and 40's

My friend walks in and says "Oh man that city is going to burn", It took me a sec to have any clue what he was talking about.

Turned on CNN first thing i see FIRE, Insurgents i bet ;).

So sadly predictable and the media! fucking leeches.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Anvilbrother

He sticks his nose in all kinds of shit. Remember plumber joe, how travon was like the son he could have had, now this.

an unarmed black teenager was shot and killed by a Detriot police officer yesterday
Why no riots?
Oh

the cop was black

Go figure
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

DanG

Wow, Obama to speak at 10:00 PM.

I really believe that the President should stay out of this.

And if he didn't say anything people would complain that he went golfing while the country burned. He can't win.

He made his own bed
Abraham Lincoln

DanG

And if he didn't say anything people would complain that he went golfing while the country burned. He can't win.

Correct. In the face of being unable to win he should stay silent and have people think he is an idiot instead of speaking up and confirming it.

The Feds could have made a show of unity with the announcement by showing up but instead they left the prosecutor to hang in the wind with the ruling. I think Holder & Co. are disappointed, but rest assured they won't let a good crisis go to waste.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

Correct. In the face of being unable to win he should stay silent and have people think he is an idiot instead of speaking up and confirming it.

The Feds could have made a show of unity with the announcement by showing up but instead they left the prosecutor to hang in the wind with the ruling. I think Holder & Co. are disappointed, but rest assured they won't let a good crisis go to waste.

QED - you're proving Dan's point. It was a state-jurisdiction matter; federal "showing up" would have been inappropriate. For sure as hell, if the grand jury HAD indicted the cop & a Justice Dept rep was at the news conference to "show unity" with it, you'd be first in line to stick your foot up their asses for doing that.

He referred to him as a "demon".
I'd say that's rather telling.
The community is seeing it as he was afraid because the kid was big. And black.

Until we fucking white people see this from the black perspective, we are doomed to repeat.
There is no other race we as a society has treated the way we treat blacks.

A jury of 3/4 white people in a racist ass town, in a racist ass state, decided not to indict a white cop!?

I think I understand both sides.
It IS about race.
I'd like to see us address that.

Being a below average fighter (as a young man) I KNOW I'd been afraid.

My brother is a PO. He was a worse fighter than me - but he's gotten a LOT better through the years. I'm glad I didn't go into law enforcement, I'd shot someone for sure.

A jury of 3/4 white people in a racist ass town, in a racist ass state, decided not to indict a white cop!?

I thought the cop was toast when Holder got involved. It SEEMED like this has been studied in depth, but truly racism is alive and well. (Not saying that DW was guilty of anything, personally I believe the grand jury. I suspect they wanted to charge him to avoid what is going on but couldn't because of the evidence)
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

normiss

He referred to him as a "demon".
I'd say that's rather telling.

Until we fucking white people see this from the black perspective, we are doomed to repeat.
There is no other race we as a society has treated the way we treat blacks.

I think I understand both sides.
It IS about race.
I'd like to see us address that.

I'd say he was scared because the kid attacked him and tried to take his gun. I can see why it scared him...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Yep agreed there bud.

I am bothered by the wording in some of the testimony, but that's how humans are.
The cops referring to "getting tunnel vision on the target, errr I mean threat" speaks to their perspective.
The black community is beyond frustrated with the system that continues to send the message that it's ok for cops to kill them.
http://undisputedlegal.wordpress.com/2014/09/02/these-seven-charts-explain-how-ferguson-and-many-other-us-cities-wring-revenue-from-black-people-and-the-poor/

Are you fucking blind to the FACT that the black guy robbed a store, shoved the owner out of the way, confronted a cop in his vehicle, tried to take a fucking cops gun, the gun went off, then he tried to charge the cop again???? What part of that as a white male am I supposed to be ok with???

Are we as white people supposed to let blacks comit crimes because they are oppressed?????

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Anvilbrother

Are you fucking blind to the FACT that the black guy robbed a store, shoved the owner out of the way, confronted a cop in his vehicle, tried to take a fucking cops gun, the gun went off, then he tried to charge the cop again???? What part of that as a white male am I supposed to be ok with???

Are we as white people supposed to let blacks comit crimes because they are oppressed?????

You shouldn't be ok with that as a man of any colour.

Normiss is speaking to a larger issue. One many here seem to deny exists, or isn't really an issue. To me there are clearly sever racial issues in that community.

No, that doesn't mean that the officer should have been indicted.

No, that also doesn't mean that this "issue" should now be over.

There should be a plan formulated on how to curtail these racial tensions and how to deal with this persistent (perception of) racism.

SkyDekker

There should be a plan formulated on how to curtail these racial tensions and how to deal with this persistent (perception of) racism.

certainly, but I think the discussion is framed poorly when the example is a cop performing a justified shooting in self defense and in defense of the community

Perhaps the discussion should be centered around the problem where a young citizen considers that attempting to kill a cop, beating up a shopkeeper, not respecting any of the individuals around him, etc is considered to be 'normal' (hell, even ACCEPTABLE or EXPECTED) behavior. (I'm not being flip, this is the serious question, how do we fix the problems that lead to kids becoming this way?)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Andy9o8

QED - you're proving Dan's point. It was a state-jurisdiction matter; federal "showing up" would have been inappropriate. For sure as hell, if the grand jury HAD indicted the cop & a Justice Dept rep was at the news conference to "show unity" with it, you'd be first in line to stick your foot up their asses for doing that.
Ya?
then why the hell is holder saying the civil rights investigation is still open

what a dance>:(
Abraham Lincoln

rehmwa

***There should be a plan formulated on how to curtail these racial tensions and how to deal with this persistent (perception of) racism.

certainly, but I think the discussion is framed poorly when the example is a cop performing a justified shooting in self defense and in defense of the community

Perhaps the discussion should be centered around the problem where a young citizen considers that attempting to kill a cop, beating up a shopkeeper, not respecting any of the individuals around him, etc is considered to be 'normal' (hell, even ACCEPTABLE or EXPECTED) behavior. (I'm not being flip, this is the serious question, how do we fix the problems that lead to kids becoming this way?)

I think that is certainly part of the story and questions. Issues we won't be solving on dropzone.com :)

So we ignore the pattern of police shooting civilians?
They are clearly in the lead.

From the perspective of being put into their "place" for many generations, they aren't looking at the actual offense that started this particular incident.
There is a clear pattern of harassment by local PD in MOST poor minority neighborhoods. (no minority in this case, which is also part of their complaint)

Both actions from both sides must change.
Dismissing them at face value of "thugs" and "threats" is compounding the issue.

Ok take the store out of it. He was walking in the street creating a hazard and was told to move out of the street. Take THAT out of it.

He reached inside of a cop car, punched a cop, tried to take his gun, and then charged him. A black guy wasn't shot a felon in the process of attempted murder was shot by that cop.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Andy9o8

Sorry Andy. This was a pretty extraordinary situation. The Feds showed up early so that cat was already out of the bag but when it didn't go as they had hoped they bailed. If Barry can go on TV and ask the people of Ferguson to protest peacefully then he and Holder et. al. knew what was coming. Better yet, ask JJ and Al Sharpton to stand with you. No this whole thing stinks of politics and black racism. We all knew what would happen and the people who might have had an impact chose to sit on the sidelines. No Uncle Toms up in here.

Normiss...if only black people could see how they get played perhaps they'd give up the victim status and start making their situation better on their own. Immediately people decried a Ferguson political system run by whites. How about you get a clue and vote? Get people in office who will do things the way you want them done. 50 years of gov't sympathy has really worked for them hasn't it? I've got it...we need to pay them to have children. :S
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne