Anvilbrother

Riots over a shoting turn into free jordans and 40's

Anvilbrother

The sentiment here is to downplay the actions of the criminals and make the crimes they commit seem like nothing. Most of what you posted was an excuse and does not place the blame on the actual person doing the crime. This isn't one strike life in prison. This is a modern times judicial reviewed constitutional legally medthod of stopping career criminals who have demonstrated they are incapable of not leading a life of crime. Over 20 states including blue states participate in this from California to Washington. I have no sympathy for the criminals. Don't do the crimes if you cant do the time.

Interesting that you seem to believe that having the largest population of prisoners in the country is working....

Statistics say NOPE

Wiki
Statistics[edit]

According to the Louisiana Uniform Crime reporting program, there were 193,902 crimes reported in Louisiana in 2012. All categories of crime decreased in 2012 from 2011, except for robbery, which saw a 4.6% increase. Louisiana's overall crime rate, at 4,037.5, ranked fourth among U.S. states in 2012. Among the ten largest cities in Louisiana, the town of Alexandria had the highest crime rate at 9,174.6 crimes per 100,000 people.

According to the Louisiana Uniform Crime reporting program, there were 193,902 crimes reported in Louisiana in 2012. All categories of crime decreased in 2012 from 2011, except for robbery, which saw a 4.6% increase. Louisiana's overall crime rate, at 4,037.5, ranked fourth among U.S. states in 2012. Among the ten largest cities in Louisiana, the town of Alexandria had the highest crime rate at 9,174.6 crimes per 100,000 people.

Kind of makes me wonder what would happen if Louisiana were to put some resources behind educating their population instead of jailing them. But perhaps that would be seen as coddling the criminals (or people who are destined to become criminals, because that's just what those people do [as per post #1 of this whole thread]).

Don

normiss

"Police said a Harris opened fire on the officers, who were in an unmarked car, and the officers gave chase on foot. Harris was shot after he allegedly fired a stolen 9mm handgun at the officers, who returned fire, police said."

Police and protesters on August 10, 2015
Later on in the night, two groups of suspected looters began firing at each other during a demonstration. Four plain-clothed officers in an unmarked sports utility vehicle responded to the scene. There, they shot a man who allegedly opened fire on them with a stolen 9mm SIG Sauer handgun. The suspect, identified as Tyrone Harris Jr., was hospitalized in "critical and unstable" condition. Three hours after the shooting, two teenagers were wounded in an apparent drive-by shooting as they were walking near a memorial dedicated to Brown. A journalist was also attacked and robbed[144][145][143][146]

There. Now you know that the police were not one the original two groups......
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

airdvr

According to this they couldn't make it 24 hours without violence. Where are you seeing something different?

I had heard (or thought I had heard) that there had been peaceful demonstrations for several days before the anniversary.

It would have either been NPR or CBS radio.
I can't find it anywhere, so I could be mistaken.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

jakee

Yes, I do. Do you?

of course - I just made it a triple

I know you're clever, but this might help
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/wry

also, I was just waiting to see which position would complain about the comment - totally agreeing that the OTHER side is strawmanning but they weren't. I was also wondering which specific individual would get bent that way. no surprises. But I hoped that someone from both camps would pony up.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Anvilbrother

Turn the criminals loose then and see how that works on the crime rate.

From what I hear....... that would bankrupt most of the local municipalities living off state taxpayers paying what was that number again to all those private prisons??

jakee

The sentiment here is to downplay the actions of the criminals and make the crimes they commit seem like nothing.

No, the sentiment here is to make a petty thief sound like Al Capone. In fact you've been so keen to try and inflate his previous burglary convictions that I think even you can't really stomach the thought of someone spending their entire life in prison for such petty indiscretions.

This is a modern times judicial reviewed constitutional legally medthod

Right, reviewed by one court who said it was a prime example of an unjust sentence, and by a supreme court who said it was constitutionally excessive and grossly out of proportion but just not quite blatantly unconstitutional enough to overturn.

Maybe you were never told that just because you can do something it doesn't mean you should.

I have no sympathy for the criminals.

I have no sympathy for people facing proportionate sentences after being tried for doing things that should be illegal.

I do have sympathy for people caught in a web of arbitrary sentencing for offences which shouldn't exist and are applied in a shockingly racist fashion.

So you're fine with putting al capone in prison for a long time? All he did was cheat on his taxes! ALL OF US would like to cheat on our taxes if we could.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.

Amazon

***Turn the criminals loose then and see how that works on the crime rate.

From what I hear....... that would bankrupt most of the local municipalities living off state taxpayers paying what was that number again to all those private prisons??

Woman you are so full of it..:S

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

wolfriverjoe

According to this they couldn't make it 24 hours without violence. Where are you seeing something different?

I had heard (or thought I had heard) that there had been peaceful demonstrations for several days before the anniversary.

It would have either been NPR or CBS radio.
I can't find it anywhere, so I could be mistaken.

What I put up was Wiki so it could be wrong as well.

One thing this forum has taught me it's not to believe anything I read, see, or hear from anyone unless it's vetted, and even then I have a healthy dose of skepticism.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Anvilbrother

******Turn the criminals loose then and see how that works on the crime rate.

Woman you are so full of it..:S
Awww you are so cute when the steam is coming out of your...............

normiss

I never claimed they were. ;)

from post 1182, Anvil (in reply to Amazon) - 'yea the cops totally made the two rival groups shoot at each other Sunday night'

in reply, post 1183, Normiss - 'Given the cops ARE one of the rival groups, surprised?'

Turn the criminals loose then and see how that works on the crime rate.

Yes, do. Seriously.

Anyone in there on a four strikes sentence, anyone with a mandatory minimum drugs sentence, turn them loose and see what happens! I think you'd be surprised.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

also, I was just waiting to see which position would complain about the comment - totally agreeing that the OTHER side is strawmanning but they weren't. I was also wondering which specific individual would get bent that way. no surprises. But I hoped that someone from both camps would pony up.

So what's my straw man?

skypuppy

So you're fine with putting al capone in prison for a long time? All he did was cheat on his taxes! ALL OF US would like to cheat on our taxes if we could.

Capone was sentenced to 11 years and served 8 before being released - after effectively stealing a vastly greater sum of money from the government than this chump ever did. They came down hard on him but it wasn't obscene.

jakee

Capone was sentenced to 11 years and served 8 before being released - after effectively stealing a vastly greater sum of money from the government than this chump ever did. They came down hard on him but it wasn't obscene.

Now I get it!!!

Stealing from the government is a really really bad thing
Steal from your neighbor? Not so much

This TOTALLY fits you defense of big government
And now you have outed yourself
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Now I get it!!!

You really don't.

They're both bad things. But are they the worst things? No, they're not.

As what? Someone who thinks tax fraud should be punished to some degree? Yeah bro, you got me. But what does it have to do with what we're talking about?

So you don't think the cops shooting at the group that started shooting at them, that resulted in the shooting of the armed man, were considered rival groups?
I beg to differ. It's quite likely THE reason the dumbass started shooting at them in the first place.

jakee

Now I get it!!!

You really don't.

They're both bad things. But are they the worst things? No, they're not.

As what? Someone who thinks tax fraud should be punished to some degree? Yeah bro, you got me. But what does it have to do with what we're talking about?

As a big government supporter who is inconsistant in his views to reflect the same
Abraham Lincoln

normiss

So you don't think the cops shooting at the group that started shooting at them, that resulted in the shooting of the armed man, were considered rival groups?
I beg to differ. It's quite likely THE reason the dumbass started shooting at them in the first place.

the cops didn't shoot until they were fired upon. That was the whole point of the discussion. The cops didn't even show up until the two groups had already starting shooting at each other. Showing up (and stopping it) during such an event is what the cops are supposed to do. And that appears to be what they did.

Your original post way back when seemed to imply that cops just happened by and picked a fight with a group, not the reality that an altercation occurred between two groups and the cops responded. The cops were not at fault for that.

skypuppy

***So you don't think the cops shooting at the group that started shooting at them, that resulted in the shooting of the armed man, were considered rival groups?

the cops didn't shoot until they were fired upon. That was the whole point of the discussion. The cops didn't even show up until the two groups had already starting shooting at each other. Showing up (and stopping it) during such an event is what the cops are supposed to do. And that appears to be what they did.

Your original post way back when seemed to imply that cops just happened by and picked a fight with a group, not the reality that an altercation occurred between two groups and the cops responded. The cops were not at fault for that.

Look

Many here still think the hands up dont shoot event really happened

That level of ignorance is near impossible to over come[:/]
Abraham Lincoln

"Given the cops ARE one of the rival groups, surprised?"

I see no implication, cops ARE rival groups in all of the recent events.
Claiming otherwise is dishonest.
Reading comprehension matters...sometimes certain words are the differentiators.

normiss

"Given the cops ARE one of the rival groups, surprised?"

I see no implication, cops ARE rival groups in all of the recent events.
Claiming otherwise is dishonest.
Reading comprehension matters...sometimes certain words are the differentiators.

in the context that the cops are a rival group to groups of thugs and looters that are going around initiating firefights between themselves, I can agree with that. However I do not agree that this group of cops was in any way responsible for the fact that this young guy got shot after firing at police.

And again in the context of the discussion at that point, I saw an implication of the cops causing the incident ie being one of the original two groups shooting. If that was not so, fine, but everything the cops did in that situation, from the facts I've heard so far, makes sense.