Anvilbrother

Riots over a shoting turn into free jordans and 40's

jakee

You'd probably have to define for me, the phrase 'run along just fine'... I'm sure there are victims in the rest of the developed world who actually don't believe that their little corner of the universe is
'running along just fine'...

Yes, I'm sure that the good shop owners of the rest of the world look jealously at the idyll of Louisiana, where obscenely harsh punishments have eradicated shoplifting entirely.

Oh no wait, it hasn't made any difference.

You are so geared towards making this personal to me and louisiana you are ignorantly blind to the use of this law and ignore that Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin all use this.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

As for Don's statement about stealing a slice of pizza, that's a tough one. I might be willing to go lightly or dismiss cases which involved stealing in order to live.

That's just about the most fucked up statement in this thread yet.

Declining to imprison someone for the rest of their life on a petty theft charge is not 'going lightly'.:S
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Anvilbrother

I disagree. Kicking in the back door of someones house while they are in bed sleeping to steal an xbox and a flat screen is not something to dismiss.

And that goes into second place.

Declining to imprison someone for the rest of their life on a burglary charge is not the same as dismissing it.:S

jakee

As for Don's statement about stealing a slice of pizza, that's a tough one. I might be willing to go lightly or dismiss cases which involved stealing in order to live.

That's just about the most fucked up statement in this thread yet.

Declining to imprison someone for the rest of their life on a petty theft charge is not 'going lightly'.:S

It is clear at this point you are backed into a corner and are blindly punching just to keep an argument going unwilling to listen and logically think. It's getting hilarious.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

jakee

***I disagree. Kicking in the back door of someones house while they are in bed sleeping to steal an xbox and a flat screen is not something to dismiss.

Declining to imprison someone for the rest of their life on a burglary charge is not the same as dismissing it.:S

I use the term dismiss like a person would treat it as unworthy of serious consideration.

Not in the way a charge is dismissed.

The sentiment here is to downplay the actions of the criminals and make the crimes they commit seem like nothing.

No, the sentiment here is to make a petty thief sound like Al Capone. In fact you've been so keen to try and inflate his previous burglary convictions that I think even you can't really stomach the thought of someone spending their entire life in prison for such petty indiscretions.

This is a modern times judicial reviewed constitutional legally medthod

Right, reviewed by one court who said it was a prime example of an unjust sentence, and by a supreme court who said it was constitutionally excessive and grossly out of proportion but just not quite blatantly unconstitutional enough to overturn.

Maybe you were never told that just because you can do something it doesn't mean you should.

I have no sympathy for the criminals.

I have no sympathy for people facing proportionate sentences after being tried for doing things that should be illegal.

I do have sympathy for people caught in a web of arbitrary sentencing for offences which shouldn't exist and are applied in a shockingly racist fashion.

Anvilbrother

******I disagree. Kicking in the back door of someones house while they are in bed sleeping to steal an xbox and a flat screen is not something to dismiss.

I use the term dismiss like a person would treat it as unworthy of serious consideration.

The fact that you thought about your statement and came back with that is even more supremely fucked up - you're back in first place!

Declining to give someone life in prison on a burglary charge is not the same as treating it as unworthy of consideration.:S

ou are so geared towards making this personal to me and louisiana you are ignorantly blind to the use of this law and ignore that Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin all use this.

And how many of them have managed to eradicate petty crime? None? OK then, how many have made even a perceptible dent in it as a result? None?

So your argument is...?

You need to do your research there have been dozens of cases that were reviewed and deemed legal.

Keep defending the life long criminals. Maybe you are one and are just afraid of going to jail. You sound like a career politician trying to defend all your perks from being taken away.

>Declining to give someone life in prison on a burglary charge is not the same as
>treating it as unworthy of consideration.

Well, this is Speaker's Corner, so the only two reasonable options are life in prison and releasing him with a hug and a kiss.

billvon

>Declining to give someone life in prison on a burglary charge is not the same as

Well, this is Speaker's Corner, so the only two reasonable options are life in prison and releasing him with a hug and a kiss.

Dayum.. where is that hangin dude... Judge Roy Bean... seems some folks believe he is needed STAT in 21st Century

jakee

ou are so geared towards making this personal to me and louisiana you are ignorantly blind to the use of this law and ignore that Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin all use this.

And how many of them have managed to eradicate petty crime? None? OK then, how many have made even a perceptible dent in it as a result? None?

So your argument is...?

My arguement is that it's a common accepted form of career criminal punishment in 28 states, and you act like its some fucked up black hating law from louisiana. It reduces crime go grab some facts.

Let him back out on the streets. What do you think he'll do? Stay on the straight and narrow and out of trouble? Given his history, I think not.

Yeah, maybe not. Do you think that a criminal can never repay his debt to society? I'd like to think that the punishment should fit the crime. Petty criminals (like a habitual clothing thief) don't need to be locked up like violent offenders.

- Dan G

Anvilbrother

You need to do your research there have been dozens of cases that were reviewed and deemed legal.

So you agree with the courts when they say it's technically legal but you disagree when they say it's morally ridiculous? You disagree with the warden of Angola prison who says it's an insane policy?

You think that because it's technically constitutional that's the same as it being morally justified, useful or effective?

Keep defending the life long criminals.

Once more to try and wrap your brain around it, attacking a system that sends petty criminals to prison forever is not the same as defending criminals:S

***You sound like a career politician trying to defend all your perks from being taken away.

You sound like the antagonist in a Kafka novel. You realise that 'The Trial' wasn't a how to guide, right?

billvon

damn, I was going to post something similar and you beat me to it

seems to be a tie between two debate positions trying to out-strawman each other - we've reached predictable SC thread density

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Kicking in the back door of someones house while they are in bed sleeping to steal an xbox and a flat screen is not something to dismiss.

Nor do I. There is a large difference between dismissing the crime, and thinking it deserves a life sentence.

- Dan G

My arguement is that it's a common accepted form of career criminal punishment in 28 states,

'Common' isn't the same as 'accepted'.

and you act like its some fucked up black hating law from louisiana.

It can be both.

It reduces crime

Like fuck it does.

The problem began when the 3 strikes rules were horribly written so differently than the intent as well as the definition.
The intent was violent repeat felons, not petty felons who are generally poor inner city people who were over-charged.

Justice.gov

"Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted."
The punishment should fit the crime and the judge should be able to make a decision on details not available to them under 3 strikes nor man/min.

The sentiment here is to downplay the actions of the criminals and make the crimes they commit seem like nothing. Most of what you posted was an excuse and does not place the blame on the actual person doing the crime. This isn't one strike life in prison. This is a modern times judicial reviewed constitutional legally medthod of stopping career criminals who have demonstrated they are incapable of not leading a life of crime. Over 20 states including blue states participate in this from California to Washington. I have no sympathy for the criminals. Don't do the crimes if you cant do the time.

Don wrote a lengthy and well thought out post, which you clearly didn't read. Try reading it and responding to the substance.

- Dan G

airdvr

***And for the guys that run Ferguson, don't expect to harass and fuck with these people day in and day out in order to take as much money as possible from them and never face these kind of protests. Know that there is a price to pay.

I agree about their right to peaceful demonstration. Let me know when that happens.

You mean like the ones that occurred for several days before this blew up?
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

jakee

seems to be a tie between two debate positions trying to out-strawman each other - we've reached predictable SC thread density

I'm curious, what's the straw man from my position?

clearly when you advocated that all potential criminals be issued free leather coats by retail manufacturers with a sandwich and kind word and few bucks

(see what I did there?)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

wolfriverjoe

******And for the guys that run Ferguson, don't expect to harass and fuck with these people day in and day out in order to take as much money as possible from them and never face these kind of protests. Know that there is a price to pay.

I agree about their right to peaceful demonstration. Let me know when that happens.

You mean like the ones that occurred for several days before this blew up?

August 2015[edit]
On August 9, the anniversary of Brown's fatal shooting, peaceful demonstrations occurred and attendants observed four-and-a-half minutes of silence, signifying the four-and-a-half hours during which Brown's body was left on the street.[143]

Police and protesters on August 10, 2015
Later on in the night, two groups of suspected looters began firing at each other during a demonstration. Four plain-clothed officers in an unmarked sports utility vehicle responded to the scene. There, they shot a man who allegedly opened fire on them with a stolen 9mm SIG Sauer handgun. The suspect, identified as Tyrone Harris Jr., was hospitalized in "critical and unstable" condition. Three hours after the shooting, two teenagers were wounded in an apparent drive-by shooting as they were walking near a memorial dedicated to Brown. A journalist was also attacked and robbed in a parking lot, while three police officers were injured by protesters.[144][145][143][146]

Following the violence, officials placed St. Louis County under a state of emergency on August 10, which was expected to end on August 13.[145][12] Protests continued that day and into the night, with one such event shutting down Interstate 70. More than 100 protesters arrested during demonstrations.[147][148] Early in the morning of August 11, more than 20 additional protesters were arrested.[149] Later that day, police released video footage of Harris' shooting.[150]

According to this they couldn't make it 24 hours without violence. Where are you seeing something different?
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne