Anvilbrother

Riots over a shoting turn into free jordans and 40's

The theft of the $159 jacket, taken in isolation, carries today a six-month jail term. It was combined at Jackson's sentencing hearing with his previous convictions – all for non-violent crimes including a robbery in which he took $216 – that brought him under Louisiana's brutal “four-strikes” law by which it became mandatory for him to be locked up and the key thrown away.

Two thefts, but what were the other two non violent crimes that make up the sentence for this FOUR strike law? He committed 4 FELONIES....

You throw out NON-VIOLENT like it is a victimless crime. You must be ok with.
BURGLARY
GRAND THEFT
FORGERY/COUNTERFEITING
WORTHLESS CHECKS
FRAUDULENT PRACTICES
OTHER THEFT/PROPERTY DAMAGE
DRUGS, MANUFACTURE/SALE/PURCHASE
DRUGS, TRAFFICKING
DRUGS, POSSESSION/OTHER
DUI, NO INJURY
RACKETEERING
Etc, Etc.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

jakee

I am calling bullshit on your argument it was an unfair sentence for shoplifting. It's is more likely he was a previous offender and this sentencing was due to the habitual offender law.

It was, which makes it a grossly unfair sentence for shoplifting.

The court of appeals said so, and so did the LA supreme court.

The following year, in 1998, the state's supreme court gave a final ruling. “This sentence is constitutionally excessive in that it is grossly out of proportion to the seriousness of the offence,” concluded Judge Bernette Johnson. However, she found that the state's four strikes law that mandates life without parole could only be overturned in rare instances, and as a result she reinstated the sentence – putting Jackson back inside his cell until the day he dies.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

jakee

***How you gonna bring up a Jim crow law and use it in an argument about frivolous jaywalking tickets that apply to everyone lol :D

They only apply to everyone if they're applied equally.

Do you think the black people of Ferguson are 19 times more likely to jaywalk than the white people?

As a matter of fact, they probably are. In the areas where people do it, probably a lot more black people live than whites, and they probably do walk in the road a lot more, and have a lot more attitude about 'don't tell me to get off the road'. We saw it in the whole Michael Brown situation. Here's two guys that just roughed up a store owner and stole some cigars, and they're walking down the middle of the street proud as peacocks...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Two thefts, but what were the other two non violent crimes that make up the sentence for this FOUR strike law?

I told you. Don't believe me? Look it up yourself.

You throw out NON-VIOLENT

Like it means non-violent.

You must be ok with...

If 'OK with' means I don't think they should be punished with death in prison then yeah, I'm ok with it.

Evidently you're not though - so what else should result in people being locked up forever?
Filming police officers?
Jaywalking?
Speeding?
Pickpocketing?
Parking in a handicapped zone?
Drinking from an open container in the street?
Disrespecting a cop?
Paying your taxes late?
Cheating on your expense account?

How petty does it need to get before you think maybe that guy should be able to leave prison one day?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

SkyDekker

***Yea I am so sure they are sending those jaywalkers straight to long term lockup which are some of the private prisons. If you have to spend a short stint in jail you stay in the public police or parish jails. If your ass goes to Angola or a private prison you did something to deserve it, you diddnt just not pay $125 fine thank you.

Right....

At about 12.40pm on 2 January 1996, Timothy Jackson took a jacket from the Maison Blanche department store in New Orleans, draped it over his arm, and walked out of the store without paying for it. When he was accosted by a security guard, Jackson said: “I just needed another jacket, man.”

A few months later Jackson was convicted of shoplifting and sent to Angola prison in Louisiana. That was 16 years ago. Today he is still incarcerated in Angola, and will stay there for the rest of his natural life having been condemned to die in jail. All for the theft of a jacket, worth $159.

[url]http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/13/us-prisoners-sentences-life-non-violent-crimes

(that was just the first google hit)

Anvil's statement is still EXACTLY CORRECT. He didn't just go to long-term prison for stealing a 159 dollar jacket. YOUR STATEMENT, LIKE MANY IS MISLEADING IN THAT YOU DO IMPLY HE WENT TO JAIL FOR JUST ONE OFFENCE.

Incidentally, I don't believe shoplifting is a victimless crime. It costs stores, and it costs us all in higher prices.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.

The dude had 4 felony convictions, at what point is enough enough? I am not arguing life sentence for it, but a 3-4 strike is a good idea. After that many FELONIES, you have demonstrated that you cannot control yourself and your actions.

People are ok with mandatory license revocations and penalties for DUI. When they read in the paper that XYZ was just arrested on their 4th DWI the first thing to come to mind is WHY is he still allowed to drive? At some point people demonstrate that they are NOT going to follow the law and need to face the harsh punishment.

Yeah, she found that the law was grossly unfair but not clearly unconstitutional. As depressing as your defence of the indefensible is, in a way it's nice to know that you'd have been on our side during the revolution.;)

The dude had 4 felony convictions, at what point is enough enough?

At what point does stealing one more jacket get you death in prison? Never. How many jackets do you think it should take?

When they read in the paper that XYZ was just arrested on their 4th DWI the first thing to come to mind is WHY is he still allowed to drive? At some point people demonstrate that they are NOT going to follow the law and need to face the harsh punishment.

So how many times should you get charged with a DUI before you face death in prison?

How many times should you get caught speeding before you face death in prison?

jakee

Yeah, she found that the law was grossly unfair but not clearly unconstitutional. As depressing as your defence of the indefensible is, in a way it's nice to know that you'd have been on our side during the revolution.;)

I have not been defencing anything.

He didn't just go to long-term prison for stealing a 159 dollar jacket. YOUR STATEMENT, LIKE MANY IS MISLEADING IN THAT YOU DO IMPLY HE WENT TO JAIL FOR JUST ONE OFFENCE.

I'm not implying that. Going to jail for life for stealing four jackets is just as great an injustice as going to jail for life for stealing one.

jakee

He didn't just go to long-term prison for stealing a 159 dollar jacket. YOUR STATEMENT, LIKE MANY IS MISLEADING IN THAT YOU DO IMPLY HE WENT TO JAIL FOR JUST ONE OFFENCE.

I'm not implying that. Going to jail for life for stealing four jackets is just as great an injustice as going to jail for life for stealing one.

You keep saying jackets like that is what all of his 4 crimes were. 2 others were burglary, and the 1 other robbery. Dont play it down.

Anvilbrother

***Yeah, she found that the law was grossly unfair but not clearly unconstitutional. As depressing as your defence of the indefensible is, in a way it's nice to know that you'd have been on our side during the revolution.;)

I have not been defencing anything.

Since we know you'd have supported the British, you should spell in British.

Anvilbrother

You keep saying jackets like that is what all of his 4 crimes were. 2 others were burglary, and the 1 other robbery. Dont play it down.

Newsflash dude, you don't care what the crimes were. You've made it clear that the only thing that matters is that it was a felony, not what the felony was.

But by all means, please clarify - would it make any difference to you at all if it was 4 shoplifting charges?

How many free Jordans and 40's would it take???

Ask Brown all it took for his death sentence was to steal some cigarillos. And yes I am being an ass as you have demonstrated thats how you want to play today after your "we should join the KKK and skinheads" comment.

Anvilbrother

At what point does stealing one more jacket get you death in prison?

Obviously that last jacket does the trick.

When you're living in a fascist police state, yeah it obviously does.

So, in a fair, free country how many convictions for shoplifting jackets should lead to death in prison?

(Because you know, the rest of the developed world manages to run along just fine on a fraction of your incarceration rate. The only reason for you to lock up so many people is because you like doing it.)

aphid

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. (Martin Luther King, Jr.)

Or for perhaps a more palatable source;

True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.
(Clarence Darrow)

(Quoting my own post because I don't know who to single-out in this thread)

I'm a responsible tax-paying white guy with reasonable means at my disposal - 2 car-garage, decent section of town - the whole bit. My only legal transgressions in Canada are occasional speeding infractions. Truthfully, a shitload of them.

However, I "enjoyed" a sampler - an appetizer as it were - of the US Justice system not too long ago. (sarcasm fully intended)

From my experience, I simply cannot imagine how much disadvantaged Americans and/or visible minorities must suffer in their interaction(s) with your system.

I'm also stunned at the raw lack of compassion I see from some in this thread. Very very sad...

raw lack of compassion

Is is not lack of compassion. I just refuse to give it out to someone who cant learn their lesson FOUR times.

Honestly using the above argument here is what he would have faced prior to this 4th charge.

Simple burglary:
Imprisoned at hard labor for not less than one year, without benefit of parole, probation or suspension of sentence, nor more than twelve years.

He had TWO charges of that at different periods in his life

Simple Robbery
Whoever commits the crime of simple robbery shall be fined not more than three thousand dollars, imprisoned with or without hard labor for not more than seven years, or both.

So before his 4th offence this guy had spent at a MINIMUM 2 years in jail, and between 1-7 years for the robbery at different times in his life.

jakee

I was replying to Skydekker