Anvilbrother

Riots over a shoting turn into free jordans and 40's

wmw999

I think that what happened last weekend was about as OK as the Boston Tea Party.

Wendy P.

Nice answer, but I was asking Amazon, who doesn't seem capable of giving answers to direct questions. Instead she calls me a troll. Very mature, don't cha think?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Anvilbrother

******Trolling 101. Grow up

Coming from you????? That pegs that old delusion meter:ph34r:

Good then it should hit home 10x more times that even I think you are acting like a 10 year old girl who diddnt get her way. Answer the question like an adult. Dodging the question like that shows serious flaws in yourself.

You go dance to the tune..... I do not perform on demand. I am not dodging a question. I did ask some rather pointed questions and no one seemed to want to dance... soooooo go troll yourself to your hearts content there bubba.

turtlespeed

***I think that what happened last weekend was about as OK as the Boston Tea Party.

Wendy P.

Nice answer, but I was asking Amazon, who doesn't seem capable of giving answers to direct questions. Instead she calls me a troll. Very mature, don't cha think?

Did you answer.. or are you just looking for validation of the thread title as well?

I thought you compassionate conservatives would understand other Americans rights to protest injustice from an obtrusive government.. but thanks for your usual trolling and deflection attempt.. I expect it.

jakee

It comes down to they're breaking the law, if they didn't break the law, they wouldn't be fined or have warrants outstanding....

"Manner of walking along roadway". Getting slapped with 'disrespecting the police' if you complain about the police?

It's nothing to do with the law, it's all about money. They ruthlessly targeted the people who couldn't legally stand up for themselves and now they're dealing with the consequences.

you missed part of the quote...

Meanwhile, nearly 100 tickets were for the most minor of violations: having an overgrown yard or rundown house, playing loud music, parking incorrectly, being out past curfew, displaying a license plate in the wrong way, or walking in the road inappropriately.

This last charge, officially listed as "manner of walking along roadway," was highlighted by the DOJ in its report, which cited an example of one man who received a ticket after dancing in the street. The report said 95% of the people cited for this offense in recent years were African-American.

so these 7 types of charges (maybe more if there were some oddballs in there) represent ALMOST 5% of the charges you're talking about. So how many manner of walking along roadway do you think we're talking about? 3 charges? 5 charges? Not to mention that jaywalking is illegal too, and indeed the mayor of Toronto got charged with jaywalking in Vancouver a year or two ago (and he ain't black). And jaywalking can be dangerous for motorists and pedestrians. So again, we should just allow people (and possibly drunk or otherwise intoxicated people) to walk indiscriminately on the streets? Or maybe we should just pick them up and put them in drunk tank until they sober up? Oh, but wouldn't that be a violation of their rights?
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

skypuppy

It comes down to they're breaking the law, if they didn't break the law, they wouldn't be fined or have warrants outstanding....

"Manner of walking along roadway". Getting slapped with 'disrespecting the police' if you complain about the police?

It's nothing to do with the law, it's all about money. They ruthlessly targeted the people who couldn't legally stand up for themselves and now they're dealing with the consequences.

Meanwhile, nearly 100 tickets were for the most minor of violations: having an overgrown yard or rundown house, playing loud music, parking incorrectly, being out past curfew, displaying a license plate in the wrong way, or walking in the road inappropriately.

This last charge, officially listed as "manner of walking along roadway," was highlighted by the DOJ in its report, which cited an example of one man who received a ticket after dancing in the street. The report said 95% of the people cited for this offense in recent years were African-American.

so these 7 types of charges (maybe more if there were some oddballs in there) represent ALMOST 5% of the charges you're talking about. So how many manner of walking along roadway do you think we're talking about? 3 charges? 5 charges? Not to mention that jaywalking is illegal too, and indeed the mayor of Toronto got charged with jaywalking in Vancouver a year or two ago (and he ain't black). And jaywalking can be dangerous for motorists and pedestrians. So again, we should just allow people (and possibly drunk or otherwise intoxicated people) to walk indiscriminately on the streets? Or maybe we should just pick them up and put them in drunk tank until they sober up? Oh, but wouldn't that be a violation of their rights?

In a police state with a private for profit prison system..... you look for the most mundane things to raise revenue with. I guess that works north of the border now too??

Amazon

******I think that what happened last weekend was about as OK as the Boston Tea Party.

Wendy P.

Did you answer.. or are you just looking for validation of the thread title as well?

I thought you compassionate conservatives would understand other Americans rights to protest injustice from an obtrusive government.. but thanks for your usual trolling and deflection attempt.. I expect it.

Amazon

*********************Welcome to the second annual Ferguson riots!

Think anyone will have a cross lighting to mark the date as well ??

No...but I heard they had a pig roast

That is for Saturday Afternoon...... but once the sun sets... they will break out the satin sheets... its a tradition for some folk.

Let me get this straight; you think what happened last weekend is okay.

Perhaps a peek at the thread title will hand you a clue....

So . . . Is that a yes, or a no?

Do you think what happened last weekend was okay.

Do you think the way the police have treated the people there is in accordance with our constitution... and do they have the right to protest that???

I believe you still have a question to answer before I do.
Let's see if you can.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Amazon

In a police state with a private for profit prison system..... you look for the most mundane things to raise revenue with. I guess that works north of the border now too??

A bit overly dramatic don't you think? Let me explain what happens in any city or town in the US when you receive a citation. You are commanded to appear in court. If you don't appear in court eventually a warrant for your arrest is issued.

But in Ferguson not showing up for a court date is SOP. What other option does the legal system have but to up the ante? So what started as a speeding ticket ends up being much worse because the person who broke the law originally was stupid and chose to ignore the court appearance at their own peril. I have zero empathy for anyone who pulls that stupid stunt.

I know you really want the legal system to give them a pass. Never gonna happen.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Not to mention that jaywalking is illegal too,

Yeah, well it isn't jaywalking so don't mention it:S

The DOJ report makes it crystal clear what Ferguson town and the Ferguson PD were doing, and maintaining public safety was not it.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

But in Ferguson not showing up for a court date is SOP. What other option does the legal system have but to up the ante?

Except that the DoJ called bullshit on that one. Ferguson town hall's own emails show that the motive behind issuing additional fines and arrest warrants was not enforcement but revenue.

Poor people in Ferguson know that if they show up in court they'll get a fine that they can't pay and missed payment will result in bigger fines and an arrest warrant, and if they don't show up it will result in bigger fines and an arrest warrant as well. So why bother showing up?

As a conservative, look at it this way; the city is using the Police to implement an unfair, uneven, extremely high rate of tax against its population. If you're a fiscal conservative this should make you mad! Then, to do so the police are harassing the population with the pettiest of citations to the point where they're not so much enforcing the law as imposing a standard of behaviour. If you're a proponent of small government, this is big, intrusive government at its worst, and it should make you mad!

normiss

This is a growing problem in many places
How do you justify a debtor's prison?
The problem starts with the poverty, then we charge, arrest, and fine people because they're poor?
Believe it or not, not everyone can afford to play in the justice system game we have now.

At least this is finally being seen as a socioeconomic issue, not race. That's at least some progress.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

jakee

Not to mention that jaywalking is illegal too,

Yeah, well it isn't jaywalking so don't mention it:S

The DOJ report makes it crystal clear what Ferguson town and the Ferguson PD were doing, and maintaining public safety was not it.
Sec. 25-388. - Manner of walking along roadway.

    

(a)

Where sidewalks are provided, it shall be unlawful for any pedestrian to walk along and upon an adjacent roadway.

(b)

Where sidewalks are not provided any pedestrian walking along and upon a highway shall, when practicable, walk only on the left side of the roadway or its shoulder facing traffic which may approach from the opposite direction.

(Code 1967, § 14-94)

as far as I'm concerned, that's jaywalking

Many jaywalking laws forbid walking in the street when a sidewalk is available. Disregarding signs or barricades put up to guide pedestrians also constitutes jaywalking. - See more at: http://traffic.findlaw.com/traffic-tickets/jaywalking.html#sthash.LeHzFs3o.dpuf

Again, as far as I'm concerned if they're breaking the law, they deserve the ticket. And if they fail to pay the ticket or show up in court, they shouldn't just get off.

That is not to say that the police are correct in piling on charges for revenue. But if the ticket is legit, then it's legit.

For instance in the report, when the guy was charged for his operators licence being expired, and not carrying it with him, he blames the police for losing his job. Well, duh, if having a valid operators licence is part of your job, what do you expect?

I do not necessarily agree with everything in the DOJ report. I believe the DOJ may have had a bias, just like they claim the FPD had a bias.

Yes, there are problems. But throwing out legitimate charges is not the answer. Not showing up in court to face charges is not the answer.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

It doesn't always have to be a monetary fine either. Community service can be done. Usually they can go to the fire or police station, food bank, library or sign up to pick up trash. They give them like 3 months to do 24 hours. I know because I used to sign the papers before they left from doing hours at the fire stations.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Anvilbrother

It doesn't always have to be a monetary fine either. Community service can be done. Usually they can go to the fire or police station, food bank, library or sign up to pick up trash. They give them like 3 months to do 24 hours. I know because I used to sign the papers before they left from doing hours at the fire stations.

Seems things have changed....http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2012/05/louisiana_is_the_worlds_prison.html

Louisiana is the world's prison capital. The state imprisons more of its people, per head, than any of its U.S. counterparts. First among Americans means first in the world. Louisiana's incarceration rate is nearly five times Iran's, 13 times China's and 20 times Germany's.

the bottom line

The hidden engine behind the state's well-oiled prison machine is cold, hard cash. A majority of Louisiana inmates are housed in for-profit facilities, which must be supplied with a constant influx of human beings or a $182 million industry will go bankrupt.

Several homegrown private prison companies command a slice of the market. But in a uniquely Louisiana twist, most prison entrepreneurs are rural sheriffs, who hold tremendous sway in remote parishes like Madison, Avoyelles, East Carroll and Concordia. A good portion of Louisiana law enforcement is financed with dollars legally skimmed off the top of prison operations.

Yea I am so sure they are sending those jaywalkers straight to long term lockup which are some of the private prisons. If you have to spend a short stint in jail you stay in the public police or parish jails. If your ass goes to Angola or a private prison you did something to deserve it, you diddnt just not pay $125 fine thank you.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Anvilbrother

Yea I am so sure they are sending those jaywalkers straight to long term lockup which are some of the private prisons. If you have to spend a short stint in jail you stay in the public police or parish jails. If your ass goes to Angola or a private prison you did something to deserve it, you diddnt just not pay $125 fine thank you.

And stopped for walking along a road.. and searched and....

Compared with the national average, Louisiana has a much lower percentage of people incarcerated for violent offenses and a much higher percentage behind bars for drug offenses

Anvilbrother

And who are 'they'? Ferguson? Doesn't sound like it.

Anvilbrother

Lol yea we have a lot of drugs here, and the I-10 right through the city a major artery for illegal drug trafficking. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Yeah, that's the spirit. Don't give a second thought to whether a law is justified or a sentence appropriate - just support the law because it's the law.

You guys just looove being the land of the free, hey?

jakee

Yeah, that's the spirit. Don't give a second thought to whether a law is justified or a sentence appropriate - just support the law because it's the law.

You guys just looove being the land of the free, hey?

No one says all laws have to be supported, but they do need to be followed or be prepared to face the consequences if choose to break it.

Don't like a law? Work to change it. It's a slow process, but as we've seen recently with marijuana and gay marriage it can work.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.