Southern_Man

Cop arrests woman (DUI) as cover-up

According to the law or opinion? The law, $20,000 fine and 10 years in prison. Deprivation of rights and deprivation of rights under color of law, USC 18 241, 242.

Opinion... treason.

Btw, this is old news and has happened a couple more times since then.
Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance.

“One asked if I had anything to drink that night,” she said. “And I told them a few sips from a friend’s drink.”

A deputy noted a light odor of alcohol on her breath. He said her speech was slurred. And her eyes looked red and glassy.

“I explained to him my eyes were red and glassy because I was crying,” she said.

When asked about her use of prescription drugs, Weyker says she told the truth.

“I just got my wisdom teeth pulled out, so they gave me Vicodin for that. I told them it was little over a week since I took the Vicodin,” Weyker said.

The saying "Don't talk to the police" goes double when one just ran a stop sign, put you into a tree, and broke your neck.

As far as what should happen, how about just a good old fashioned firing? So long "treated and released" injury and disability pay. So long pension. I know I'm really aiming for the stars, but however we get there from here, we need to restore the ability to fire police who do things like this. It may be exceptional and it may be more commonplace than sees the light of day, but I don't see why that would change my opinion.

this part was telling, as well:

"Deputy Quiles has not worked in more than a year since the crash. He has exhausted his injury pay and has now filed for permanent duty disability for injuries he suffered in the crash he caused."

Despite being released from the hospital on same day for 'minor injuries.'

kelpdiver

this part was telling, as well:

"Deputy Quiles has not worked in more than a year since the crash. He has exhausted his injury pay and has now filed for permanent duty disability for injuries he suffered in the crash he caused."

Despite being released from the hospital on same day for 'minor injuries.'

Damn good thing the girl was not shot because the Officer was traumatized and feared for his life

You guys see the homeless guy shot to death out by his rock camp? And then the nypd foot stomped a guy just about passedout on the street?

Having something never beats doing (>|<)
Iam building things - Iam working on my mind- I am going to change this world - its what I came here 4- - -

Iago

***http://fox6now.com/2014/05/01/sober-driver-arrested-for-owi-when-deputy-crashes-into-her/

What properly should happen to this deputy?

Well, IMHO (who is NOT an attorney) DWI would require some sort of hard evidence to back it up, such as BAC which would be run at the station or the jail.

Hauling in a driver for DWI and having nothing would be a great argument for dismissal, as the State has no evidence. However, by default the driver gets a six month suspension and all the other nonsense.

DWAI, OTOH, is at officer's discretion that the driver is 'ability impaired.' That can be just about anything.

Another case proving that 'I am not answering questions or making statements' is probably a good way to go in these cases.

How about perjury punishable by up to five years?

Perhaps not a DUI, but they could have easily convinced her to plead to a "wet & reckless" that would have still devastated her life.

The older I get, the less respect I have for police, while not all police are "corrupt" the vast majority will lie to protect a fellow cop.

I always love these posts.

Everyone loves to bitch about bad cops, but ask them to enact any reforms to get rid of them and you get blank stares.

It's not like any liberals would be willing to do it anyway.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

jgoose71

Everyone loves to bitch about bad cops, but ask them to enact any reforms to get rid of them and you get blank stares.

For a variety of reasons I am a huge fan of video monitoring of ALL law enforcement activities.

If a cop is on the up and up, it is entirely to his benefit. If a cop wishes to have a customized account of events, there is a dispassionate record that limits prevarication.

Under oath law enforcement gets a pass. In theory they are subject to draconian sanctions for perjury, in practice not so much.

BSBD,

Winsor

jgoose71

So we will put you down as supporting the police state in America with LAW Enforcement ONLY for those on THOSE PEOPLE on the other side of that Blue Line.

ITs a tough job but they are making it harder and harder with the "Its us against Them" mentality where they see everyone who is not a cop as criminals.

winsor

***I always love these posts.

For a variety of reasons I am a huge fan of video monitoring of ALL law enforcement activities.

If a cop is on the up and up, it is entirely to his benefit. If a cop wishes to have a customized account of events, there is a dispassionate record that limits prevarication.

Under oath law enforcement gets a pass. In theory they are subject to draconian sanctions for perjury, in practice not so much.

BSBD,

Winsor

This! times 1,000,000

SkyDekker

This! times 1,000,000

agreed - now up to 1,000,001

good cops should demand it
they shouldn't have to have it enabled 100% of the time, only during direct interactions,

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>they shouldn't have to have it enabled 100% of the time, only during direct interactions

Then cops would decide that "direct interactions" would involve pulling over white people.

Give cops a way to hide their misdeeds and they will take it, as this and many other incidents demonstrate. It's a small percentage of cops that do this, but that small percentage of cops are the very cops who will decide that the camera doesn't need to be on all the time. (And will have most excellent excuses, and will experience the most interesting malfunctions and unintentional oversights.) With memory and camera prices so low the cost of recording everything is very close to zero, and the benefit is large.

billvon

With memory and camera prices so low the cost of recording everything is very close to zero

[digression] although look how much it costs after having to go through a couple of RFP cycles [/digression]
Never try to eat more than you can lift

billvon

>they shouldn't have to have it enabled 100% of the time, only during direct interactions

Then cops would decide that "direct interactions" would involve pulling over white people.

Give cops a way to hide their misdeeds and they will take it, as this and many other incidents demonstrate. It's a small percentage of cops that do this, but that small percentage of cops are the very cops who will decide that the camera doesn't need to be on all the time. (And will have most excellent excuses, and will experience the most interesting malfunctions and unintentional oversights.) With memory and camera prices so low the cost of recording everything is very close to zero, and the benefit is large.

strawman BV strikes again - of course you wouldn't automate any of it would you. by your argument, they could just cover the camera or break it at will with no consequences

ideas are always easy, implementation is where the rubber meets the road

So you think it's a great idea for employers to do that for all jobs? teaching, doctors, your job, etc? we can make pro and con arguments for just about all fields

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

***>they shouldn't have to have it enabled 100% of the time, only during direct interactions

strawman BV strikes again - of course you wouldn't automate any of it would you. by your argument, they could just cover the camera or break it at will with no consequences

ideas are always easy, implementation is where the rubber meets the road

So you think it's a great idea for employers to do that for all jobs? teaching, doctors, your job, etc? we can make pro and con arguments for just about all fields

It is already being done for many jobs.