maadmax

How can anyone say "God doesn't exist" ?

To surrender one's ego is probably the most difficult of all personal tasks. For most men marriage is about as far as they can go.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

To say God doesn't exist requires omniscience. Just like saying God does exist requires omniscience.

Of course, omniscience requires one to be a deity in a monotheistic Universe. Which means that either an atheist is thinking he's an omniscient God, which is a fallacy. Or, that a religious person thinks he's God, which is blasphemy.

It's quite an interesting thought problem.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

>To say God doesn't exist requires omniscience. Just like saying God does exist
>requires omniscience.

By that logic, to say anything requires omniscience.

On the other hand, since there are a great many conflicting views of God (conflicting enough that even a fraction of them cannot be simultaneously be true) most depictions of God are guaranteed to be incorrect. Most people get around that problem by saying "right, only mine is correct."

I disagree. I can assert that I have blue eyes. I know what I know.

A person could say that there is no alien life in our universe. Of course, this is something that we cannot know, at this point. Or state that there is life elsewhere. Neither can be confirmed or denied.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. It's the idea that whatever has not been proven false must be true, or whatever has not been proven true must be false. Both are appeals from ignorance.

I don't believe in God. I consider myself atheist. I can speak quite freely about my beliefs. But when people start averring their subjective beliefs as objective facts? That's where I have problems.

I see little difference between religious zealotry and anti-religious zealotry.

billvon

>I've never knocked on someone's door in an effort to try to convince them there is no god.

True, but I've seen an awful lot of atheists go to town on religious believers on line.

And vice versa, but generally the atheists are just responding.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

billvon

>To say God doesn't exist requires omniscience. Just like saying God does exist
>requires omniscience.

By that logic, to say anything requires omniscience.

On the other hand, since there are a great many conflicting views of God (conflicting enough that even a fraction of them cannot be simultaneously be true) most depictions of God are guaranteed to be incorrect. Most people get around that problem by saying "right, only mine is correct."

And if this quantum video is to be believed, all are correct. ;)

I suppose I should have credited Carl Sagan with those quotes. But then people may have said, "Oh. Carl Sagan said that?"

I'm seeing people less open to seeing a bigger picture. Back in the day, people were comfortable with no knowing stuff. It's kind of like when someone used to ask, "Who did that song about messing with a son of a bitch?" A person would usually say, "I don't know." Now we pull out our phones, look up lyrics and tell the person, "That song was 'Hair of the Dog' by Nazareth."

I don't know if there is a God. I don't believe there is but I'm comfortable that I don't know it. Why the hell does either side try to convince anyone of something entirely subjective?

Bolas

***>I've never knocked on someone's door in an effort to try to convince them there is no god.

True, but I've seen an awful lot of atheists go to town on religious believers on line.

And vice versa, but generally the atheists are just responding.

Plenty of atheists publicly air their distaste. Madalyn Murray O'Hair suing the Apollo 8 astronauts for reading from Genesis. That kind of thing that continues to this day.

Religious shoving religion down throats. Atheists trying to avoid all religious statements in public.

Wouldn't you say that you are agnostic? An atheist has faith that God does not exist. A religious person has faith that God does exist. Each lives their lives within those narrow possibilities. An agnostic accepts that he cannot know the truth. Who among them is honest?
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Croc

An atheist has faith that God does not exist.

Umm no. An atheist uses the lack of any FACTS or EVIDENCE of the existence of any deity as the basis for their logical decision, not faith.

The other major difference is were there actual proof of a deity, atheists and agnostics would be open to it, whereas as the religious would dispute any facts, such as they do evolution, the age of the earth, etc.

This is all a logic fallacy as the question should not have ever been "Prove (insert deity name here) does not exist" but should be "Prove (insert deity name here) does exist."

I've never seen any evidence to make me believe there is a god, so I don't believe there is. If someone can present compelling evidence, my view may change.

I am comfortable in believing that if I am wrong and there is a single all-powerful, all-knowing god, he is a vicious, psychopathic son of a bitch.
cavete terrae.

Bolas

***An atheist has faith that God does not exist.

Umm no. An atheist uses the lack of any FACTS or EVIDENCE of the existence of any deity as the basis for their logical decision, not faith.

The other major difference is were there actual proof of a deity, atheists and agnostics would be open to it, whereas as the religious would dispute any facts, such as they do evolution, the age of the earth, etc.

This is all a logic fallacy as the question should not have ever been "Prove (insert deity name here) does not exist" but should be "Prove (insert deity name here) does exist."

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

― Christopher Hitchens

Materialism and Naive Realism are not compatible with Quantum Mechanics. Consciousness/observation determines reality. The existence of our individual consciousness on a Quantum level is in turn validated/created by the observation of a cosmic consciousness (God).
Observations, individual and collective(God), forms reality out of the universal Quantum wave function. To say that the world functions on a "scientific" materialistic basis is just another faith based exercise.

Andy9o8

To say God doesn't exist requires omniscience.

Then to be consistent it's equally logical that to say monsters don't exist under my bed requires omniscience.

Which is to say: nonsense.

With all due respect. ;)

No, because you can check under your bed to see if there are monsters. You can't check everywhere (other dimensions included) to see if there's a God/gods w/o being all knowing or all powerful.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.