Amazon

The 10 most corrupt states in the U.S.

Not a surprise at all..

http://fortune.com/2014/06/10/most-corrupt-states-in-america/?xid=ob_rss

The researchers studied more than 25,000 convictions of public officials for violation of federal corruption laws between 1976 and 2008 as well as patterns in state spending to develop a corruption index that estimates the most and least corrupt states in the union. Based on this method, the the most corrupt states are:

1. Mississippi
2. Louisiana
3. Tennessee
4. Illinois
5. Pennsylvania
6. Alabama
7. Alaska
8. South Dakota
9. Kentucky
10. Florida

Red Blue mix by districts.
http://www.hannah-holmes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/2012-usa-election-map-by-county-nyt.png
Based on this... I think we can probably conclude who is in need of quality time in the big house and is rightfully getting it.

Based on this method...

And understand that's just one way of looking at corruption; politicians.

I'd also put Delaware pretty high up on the list for its "legal" corruption of allowing out of state corporations pretend to be based there to get around taxes and other legal requirements.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Amazon

Not a surprise at all..

http://fortune.com/2014/06/10/most-corrupt-states-in-america/?xid=ob_rss

The researchers studied more than 25,000 convictions of public officials for violation of federal corruption laws between 1976 and 2008 as well as patterns in state spending to develop a corruption index that estimates the most and least corrupt states in the union. Based on this method, the the most corrupt states are:

1. Mississippi
2. Louisiana
3. Tennessee
4. Illinois
5. Pennsylvania
6. Alabama
7. Alaska
8. South Dakota
9. Kentucky
10. Florida

Red Blue mix by districts.
http://www.hannah-holmes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/2012-usa-election-map-by-county-nyt.png
Based on this... I think we can probably conclude who is in need of quality time in the big house and is rightfully getting it.

How pissed off are you that texas didn't make this list?

I'm guessing quite a bit. Seeing as you completely despise texas and everyone in it.

>I'd also put Delaware pretty high up on the list for its "legal" corruption of >allowing out of state corporations pretend to be based there to get around taxes
>and other legal requirements.

That's like saying that Target is corrupt because they sell shirts cheaper than Nordstrom's - and their return policies are better.

billvon

>I'd also put Delaware pretty high up on the list for its "legal" corruption of >allowing out of state corporations pretend to be based there to get around taxes

That's like saying that Target is corrupt because they sell shirts cheaper than Nordstrom's - and their return policies are better.

Mmmm, no. It's like saying companies whose main offices, officers, CEOs, BODs, HQs are located in one state, but are "incorporated" in Delaware for tax and legal reasons. That's bullshit.

It's as bullshit as offshore bank accounts.
quade -

cgriff

***Based on this method, the the most corrupt states are...

Actually, I think that would tell us which state's corrupt officials are the least competent at corruption... Elsewhere, they're better at not getting caught.

OR... they are better at not breaking the law.... perhaps you should vote for better candidates.

> It's like saying companies whose main offices, officers, CEOs, BODs, HQs are
>located in one state, but are "incorporated" in Delaware for tax and legal reasons.
>That's bullshit.

Again, why? If it's bullshit that you can incorporate in a state where laws are more favorable to your type of business, rather than the state you are in, it's also bullshit that you can shop at a store where prices are lower, rather than at the store nearest you. (or - horrors! - go across the state line where sales tax is lower!)

billvon

> It's like saying companies whose main offices, officers, CEOs, BODs, HQs are
>located in one state, but are "incorporated" in Delaware for tax and legal reasons.
>That's bullshit.

Again, why? If it's bullshit that you can incorporate in a state where laws are more favorable to your type of business, rather than the state you are in, it's also bullshit that you can shop at a store where prices are lower, rather than at the store nearest you. (or - horrors! - go across the state line where sales tax is lower!)

Sorry, Bill, but Quade's argument is more persuasive.
It's about businesses avoiding taxes, not consumers shopping for best prices.
This two situations look exactly alike to me:

a) Business operating in Illinois pretends to operate in Delaware to avoid taxes.

b) Business operating in US pretends to operate in Cayman Islands to avoid taxes.

Article about advantages of Delaware incorporation: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/business/how-delaware-thrives-as-a-corporate-tax-haven.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

>It's about businesses avoiding taxes, not consumers shopping for best prices.

Consumers often avoid taxes by shopping out of state, and businesses often shop for the best prices as well. There's not too much difference there, other than companies care a lot more about the costs of legal representation (which is the primary reason many companies incorporate in Delaware.)

Again, I see nothing wrong with following the state laws to the best advantage of a company. Both individuals and companies generally do everything legal to avoid paying a lot of tax, and both individuals and businesses are careful where they buy things to avoid the same.

If it's a problem, change the law.

billvon

If it's a problem, change the law.

And with thousands of corporations incorporated in DE, all making political donations, good luck with that.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***> It's like saying companies whose main offices, officers, CEOs, BODs, HQs are
>That's bullshit.

Sorry, Bill, but Quade's argument is more persuasive.
It's about businesses avoiding taxes, not consumers shopping for best prices.
This two situations look exactly alike to me:

a) Business operating in Illinois pretends to operate in Delaware to avoid taxes.

b) Business operating in US pretends to operate in Cayman Islands to avoid taxes.

Article about advantages of Delaware incorporation: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/business/how-delaware-thrives-as-a-corporate-tax-haven.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Let us keep in mind, the number one motivating principle of business is profit. The profit motive requires managing resources, increasing production/service and reducing operational cost.

Unfortunately, this principle does not apply to government, especially the federal government.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

quade

***>I'd also put Delaware pretty high up on the list for its "legal" corruption of >allowing out of state corporations pretend to be based there to get around taxes

Mmmm, no. It's like saying companies whose main offices, officers, CEOs, BODs, HQs are located in one state, but are "incorporated" in Delaware for tax and legal reasons. That's bullshit.

That's not why Delaware is the corporate king. There are two reasons:
(1) Delaware has the most finely developed and interpreted corporate law in the world. The laws there aren't drafted or changed just by legislatures and their special interests. There is a committee that does only corporate law recommendations. People go to Delaware because the whole rules and processes are laid out with certainty.
(2) There is a special court there that deals only with corporate issues. The attorneys and judges in that court do corporate law and only corporate law. They are experts. There is no jury in that court to play games with.

Delaware is predictable. It's as close to certain as a person can get. In other states, they look to Delaware court decisions for guidance as to how to handle a dispute.

Want to go someplace that looks to Delaware to see what to do? Or just go to Delaware?

The motivations for use of Delaware are much less insidious and much more pragmatic than you feel. Or maybe want to recognize.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

The motivations for use of Delaware are much less insidious and much more pragmatic than you feel. Or maybe want to recognize.

Nope. I recognize the state is set up for the benefit of corporations; favorable rulings far away from where they really do business and difficult for the little guy to get to compared to them.

But if you believe that is the ONLY reason, you're kidding yourself.
quade -

quade

***>I'd also put Delaware pretty high up on the list for its "legal" corruption of >allowing out of state corporations pretend to be based there to get around taxes

Please tell me how those mechanics work? :S

My clients would be very interested to hear how they can avoid being taxed in states where they have physical nexus, simply because they are incorporated in Delaware.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

JerryBaumchen

Hi Ron,

reducing operational cost . . . this principle does not apply to government, especially the federal government.

Having spent 30 yrs working for a federal agency, I strongly disagree. We were always operating under budget constraints.

JerryBaumchen

Can you point to proper proof of that from a reliable Fox News or Blaze source????

:ph34r:

I recognize the state is set up for the benefit of corporations; favorable rulings far away from where they really do business and difficult for the little guy to get to compared to them.

Okay. Now I see where you are going with this.

Delaware is favorable only with regard to corporate structure, set up, mergers, acquisitions, etc. Here's an example of how it really works:

Facebook. It's a Delaware Corporation. It's principal place of business of California. California was crowing over the tax revenues from the IPO a couple of years ago.

Did you know that Facebook is a Delaware corp? It is "organized" under the laws of Delaware and incorporated IN Delaware. But since it's principal place of business is California, guess which state rakes in the taxes.

Let's say you want to sue Facebook. You don't need to go to Delaware to do it. It doesn't work like that.

Facebook, a delaware Corporation, is a California resident. Show me the evidence that Facebook doesn't have to face the California regulatory environment because it is organized in Delaware and I'll reconsider. But your comments sound like something taken off of Alternet or ThinkProgress or some other partisan rag meant to inflame more than inform.

[Reply]But if you believe that is the ONLY reason, you're kidding yourself.

I didn't say "only" reason. I said it's the primary reason. If you think differently, then you aren't looking. I cited Facebook as a common firm everybody knows. That facebook is in California was a major talking point about the revenues that Cali would bring in.

Otherwise, Delaware would be the largest economy on the planet.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

JerryBaumchen

Hi Ron,

reducing operational cost . . . this principle does not apply to government, especially the federal government.

Having spent 30 yrs working for a federal agency, I strongly disagree. We were always operating under budget constraints.

JerryBaumchen

And every year they get an automatic budget increase
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Amazon

******How pissed off are you that texas didn't make this list?

If we looked at a different metric, I'm sure we could easily make Texas #1.

If we used the metric of dumb asses... Texas would be Numero Uno.

I'll take being called a dumbass by you a compliment any day. Meanwhile sasquatch is looking for his overalls. He says he wants them back asap.

regulator

*********How pissed off are you that texas didn't make this list?

If we looked at a different metric, I'm sure we could easily make Texas #1.

If we used the metric of dumb asses... Texas would be Numero Uno.

I'll take being called a dumbass by you a compliment any day. Meanwhile sasquatch is looking for his overalls. He says he wants them back asap.

Well bless your little heart but reading comprehension is something most learn in grade school. Is Texas failing its students so woefully??