stayhigh

What's your thought over an inmate taking over 2 hours to die in a botched execution?

It happened again, once again due to using inferior drug combination.

Is this violation of 8th amendment?
or death penalty itself is violation of 8th amendment?

My thought is that if one can go peacefully, than where is the punishment?

the below is from documentary "How To Kill a Human Being"
doesn't contain any sick shit so it is work safe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTNX6mr753w
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

It depends if it is regarded as a cruel and unusual punishment which I believe is prohibited in the US constitution (it certainly written in the UK's Bill of Rights).

From what I've read there's section of society believes that it was cruel so are petitioning the courts to decide. They'll consider it, decide and then make a ruling I suppose.

It is a death sentence. Now it may just be semantics but I can not understand how taking someone's life against there will is not cruel.
But I am fine with the death penaltybeing used. The ones that get it were not kind and thought full to their victims. So I say bring back the firing squad. It will be quick. That seems to be the sticking point now. They complain it takes to long, but refuse express lanes.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

stayhigh

And once again, I wonder why those who scream the loudest that the government is incapable of doing anything right, trust that same government 100%, to carry out the most ultimate punishment.

jclalor

***It happened again, once again due to using inferior drug combination.

And once again, I wonder why those who scream the loudest that the government is incapable of doing anything right, trust that same government 100%, to carry out the most ultimate punishment.

Inshallah... sayeth the American Taliban

I'm just surprised the states keep making the same mistake.

The old mix used (IIRC) was a huge dose of barbiturate to render them unconscious/unfeeling, a dose of paralytic to stop their breathing, then a massive dose of potassium chloride to stop their heart. (yep, just checked wikipedia for what it's worth, and it lists sodium pentathol, pancuronium, and potassium chloride)

Then, didn't it go that the manufacturers of the barbiturate decide they don't like being associated with executions and stop selling to the states for that use? So then the states have to come up with a new cocktail?

So, my question is, why did they stop using the paralytic and KCl? Sure, the Versed/Dilaudid mix is going to render them WAY unconscious and protect them from pain of any kind, but it won't do the work of the other drugs. The cost for ALL the meds being discussed is minimal, probably a couple bucks each.

I kid you not: if you put me in Socrates' shoes and let me CHOOSE how to be executed, it would be "shoot me up with a massive dose of Versed and Dilaudid" which is exactly what this guy got. He felt NO pain when he died. What everyone was watching was agonal respirations, caused by signals sent from his brain stem, which was probably BARELY ticking over, all his higher brain function was gone. This is exactly what the paralytic is for: yeah, to stop the respirations of the inmate/victim/patient so they die, but also so bystanders don't have to watch them guppy-breathe all that time. Then, the potassium chloride is used to cause immediate cardiac arrest, so the state can declare him dead quicker (IMO).

This seems like something they should have gotten right the first time, not let happen again and again. I'm not worried that it was cruel to the inmate, because as I said he was completely unconscious and well-armored against pain. If it was cruel to anyone, it was cruel to those forced to watch.

Elvisio "pragmatic" Rodriguez

>I just don't understand the outrage over a botched execution

That pesky Constitution again, getting in the way of a perfectly good agonizing, excruciating government execution. I swear, it's like the Founding Fathers didn't want anyone to have any fun.

billvon

>I just don't understand the outrage over a botched execution

That pesky Constitution again, getting in the way of a perfectly good agonizing, excruciating government execution. I swear, it's like the Founding Fathers didn't want anyone to have any fun.

I really get the feeling that conservatives have finally found something to "conserve", barbaric executions that they can watch just like 600 years ago. A good old fashioned English Hanged, Drawn and Quarter should do the trick for them to get off on.

I mean it has been since 1782 since its been done.. http://www.executedtoday.com/2011/08/24/1782-david-tyrie-the-last-hanged-drawn-and-quartered/

The DP is all about retribution and making an execution look humane when it is actually not. So by those parameters it was a failure. However theres a lot of people who will be glad he took so long to die.
Its not difficult to execute a prisoner totally painlessly using nitrogen and hypoxia to get the job done. But that isn't the point of the DP s it, folks need to see 'em suffer or theres just not enough retribution.

And for the record I'm neither pro or anti DP, (I'm undecided) and I'm neither Dem or GOP (God blessed me and made me British). ;)

When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

stayhigh

It is called punishment. How much did his victims suffer?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Hummm wonder how it's done in China?

Personally until we will spend the money to fast track DP cases, I don't believe it is much of a deterant. A young kid doesn't worry about what happens 10-20 years later.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

Personally until we will spend the money to fast track DP cases...

Given all the mistakes that have been uncovered in the judicial system, do you really think it's a good idea to "fast-track" a punishment that can't be revoked?

- Dan G

The WSJ morning radio report had a person on this AM who stated the drugs once used came from Europe somewhere as they were not made in the US
Those companies stopped selling those drugs to US states because they did not want their product used to execute someone. Now the drugs they get are differnt and not as effective

True?
Hell, I dont know but really? These drugs are only made over seas? Anyone verify that?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I don't understand why it's so fucking difficult to kill someone. I don't support the death penalty but the methods they use are more like some easily failable and overly complicated device from a James Bond villain.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

rushmc

The WSJ morning radio report had a person on this AM who stated the drugs once used came from Europe somewhere as they were not made in the US
Those companies stopped selling those drugs to US states because they did not want their product used to execute someone. Now the drugs they get are differnt and not as effective
True?

WRT "not as effective," I would disagree, as long as we are only talking about sedation and pain management. The Versed/Dilaudid mix has them unconscious and feeling no pain, BUT there's nothing in the new mix to replace the paralytic and potassium chloride. The old mix had two drugs that virtually GUARANTEE a very quick clinical death, the new mix has none; so in that regard I would argue "not as effective" as a powerful understatement.

Hell, I dont know but really? These drugs are only made over seas? Anyone verify that?

Lots and lots (dare I say, most) of the generic medications we see today are made overseas. BUT again, not to harp but to come back to my point of "why the hell don't they just use the right damn meds" for a hypothetical cocktail of Versed/dilaudid/paralytic/potassium chloride, none of these meds are currently on a shortage (as many meds are at the moment in fact). Just about any backwater "bandaid-stand" hospital in the country could go to their pharmacy and pull all of the medications off the shelf. It's not an issue of supply, so WTH?

Elvisio "call me the candyman" Rodriguez

Why can't we just take these criminals and tie them to an altar and sacrifice them in a paganistic way to the gods of global warming? I'm sure the left would find the executions way more agreeable that way....:);)

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

>Hummm wonder how it's done in China?

Same way it's done here. Drugs are probably cheaper there though.

>Personally until we will spend the money to fast track DP cases, I don't believe it
>is much of a deterant. A young kid doesn't worry about what happens 10-20
>years later.

An even better argument for life in prison. Currently the death penalty is more expensive than life in prison; spending even more money on it will make life in prison a _much_ cheaper alternative.

Basic reply to several.

Yes, I think we should have a fast track for excutions or not at all. It does not deter anyone currently. Plus there are many death cases that are completely proven.

As far as cost. Bill and others are correct it cost more to excute someone than warehouse them. Unless it will deter people, and it doesn't and won't until it is faster, than get rid of it.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

DanG

Plus there are many death cases that are completely proven.

No such thing. The best we have is "beyond a reasonable doubt" which is the same standard for all criminal convictions.

Exactly. Unfortunately many of those convictions in death penalty cases have proven to have quite a bit of doubt associated with them.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"