StreetScooby

Another one for the lawyers - background checks

IIRC, I am entitled to full disclosure of a company's background check run for purposes of employment. Am I missing anything? Just wanting to double check before taking upcoming action. I'm also in the process of reviewing NYState law on this, somehow.
We are all engines of karma

StreetScooby

IIRC, I am entitled to full disclosure of a company's background check run for purposes of employment. Am I missing anything? Just wanting to double check before taking upcoming action. I'm also in the process of reviewing NYState law on this, somehow.

In California, when you give them permission to do it, you also have the right to insist on a copy of all results. In truth, I've seen inconsistencies with them actually delivering said copies, but I do have a slew of credit reports provided to me this way.

In California, when you give them permission to do it, you also have the right to insist on a copy of all results. In truth, I've seen inconsistencies with them actually delivering said copies, but I do have a slew of credit reports provided to me this way.

And I'm sure that's the case in New York state, also. I've done this before, and it's never been a problem with previous employers. It was actually quite eye opening the first time I did this. Did not realize how extensive they went into it, and how much information that actually collected.

StreetScooby

And I'm sure that's the case in New York state, also. I've done this before, and it's never been a problem with previous employers. It was actually quite eye opening the first time I did this. Did not realize how extensive they went into it, and how much information that actually collected.

What type of information do they typically contain?

What type of information do they typically contain?

The background checks that I've received have typically been over 1/2" thick, double sided printing. It was shocking to me the first time I saw how much and in depth they went. Here's a good site that talks about this:

"Other" Consumer Reports: What You Should Know about "Specialty" Reports

The PrivacyRights.org site is good, and contains a lot of information. Every one should know what is out there in "the system" about themselves, IMO.

You'll probably find this URL of interest, also:
Background Checks & Workplace

The law's text can be found here:
Fair Credit Reporting Act

Well, I've been rooting around the internet for a while today trying to track this down. Seems like, in general, you are _not_ entitled to a copy of the background "report" as received by your "employer". You are entitled to a background "file" from the consumer reporting agency hired by your employer, assuming they didn't do the checks in house. There can be a big difference between the two.

Before running a check, the employer must ask your permission. Then is the time to get them to agree to give you a copy of the full "report" (wording is important here) as a reasonable condition to your permission. This assumes you're comfortable with the people, because they can legally deny you employment if you don't agree to the background check.

California is different, and New York is different. In New York, I'm entitled to the "report" (vs "file") from the "reporting agency", not the employer itself. At least, that's my current understanding. But, consumer reporting agencies don't keep the reports, and their files on a person can be small. In California, I believe you are entitled to the actual "report" from the "employer", which is the way it should be. Anyway, time for me to find a lawyer and asked some informed questions if my current employer wants to be an ass about this... Ahck...

Thought I'd put this out here in case anyone was interested.

I'm not really sure about the answer to your question, but I do know a lot of information is readily available with just an internet connection and in some cases, a subscription to a background check company.

I live in Pennsylvania and there is a online database called UJS (Unified Judicial System) Portal where you can look up anyone in the state and see their entire criminal history (except convictions which have been expunged). I also have a subscription to a website called BeenVerified which is a background check company (It's $39 a year). There are probably better sites out there, but BeenVerified is pretty good if you want to find information about someone.

All you need is someones name and an idea of where they live or their age (assuming their name isn't John Smith, in which case you'd need a little more info to ensure you have the right person) and you can find out a lot more about them. You can find someone's addresses (present & past - including dates they lived in each place), age, relatives, associates (roommates, gf/bf, etc.) phone numbers (present & past), criminal background, liens & judgments, bankruptcy filings, social media accounts, and licenses (FAA, controlled substance, sporting permit, weapons permits, watercraft, etc.).

Whenever you apply for a credit card/mortgage/car loan/etc., a credit check is performed. You are entitled to 1 free credit report a year from each of the 3 major credit reporting agencies so you could even check your detailed credit report yourself if you wanted. Credit reports are typically very detailed and can give a potential employer a lot of information about your finances and whether or not, to some extent, you are trustworthy.