Croc

Best ammo for an AR

with a 16" barrel and a 1/7 twist rate? I've heard that heavier bullets are best.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Croc

with a 16" barrel and a 1/7 twist rate? I've heard that heavier bullets are best.

Silver.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

For just plonking, anything especially steel. Yea it can wear a barrel faster with lead alloy bullets, but you save enough over 10k rounds to buy 3 new $250 barrels. See this amazing test here on it.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

skinnay

***with a 16" barrel and a 1/7 twist rate? I've heard that heavier bullets are best.

It really depends if you want to kill children or adults. Are you looking to do a school or a workplace shooting?

I wouldn't mind using your avatar for target practice...left/right fist for precision, pink mohawk for accuracy...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Coreece

******with a 16" barrel and a 1/7 twist rate? I've heard that heavier bullets are best.

It really depends if you want to kill children or adults. Are you looking to do a school or a workplace shooting?

I wouldn't mind using your avatar for target practice...left/right fist for precision, pink mohawk for accuracy...

Would that help you feel more like a straight person? I can get you a high res image you can print out if that helps.

skinnay

*********with a 16" barrel and a 1/7 twist rate? I've heard that heavier bullets are best.

Would that help you feel more like a straight person?

About as much as shooting beer bottles makes me feel like a prohibitionist...

skinnay

I can get you a high res image you can print out if that helps.

Ya...I bet you can.:D
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

If you are talking over the counter brands (if available), Federal does a good job. If you are talking super accurate over the counter brands (may have to search a little and more expensive), Hornaday fills that slot.

As you know, AR's come in many calibers, I'm assuming you are talking .223/5.56 variant.

Anyway the BEST way to answer your question is to buy 50-100 rounds of every brand of manufacture (more if you have the $ and time) head to the range and your weapon will tell you what it likes to eat. I do recommend avoiding Russian ammo for AR's due to excessive fouling. It will tell you if "point of aim" is consistently applied by the results measured in accurate "hits", and lack of ammo feeding issues. This is assuming you have a properly lubricated AR and quality mags.

Have fun Croc sending projectiles down range:)

Coreece

******with a 16" barrel and a 1/7 twist rate? I've heard that heavier bullets are best.

I thought you usually restricted your thinly-veiled threats of violence to PMs. Guess you've graduated.

ETA: Oh, I now see normiss beat me to the post. He's quicker on the draw, but I've got better staying power.

Croc

With a 16" barrel you are going to want at least 57gr ammo. You might be able to get away with 52gr but I would try a couple rounds before you start buying in bulk.

The problem with short barrels it that they don't necessarily allow you rifle to build up enough back pressure to cycle properly. I had an M-4 with a 10" barrel for a while and 52gr frangible rounds. It turned my gun into a single fire weapon. I would say go to a store with a range and give it a try.

And don't buy .223 ammo for your AR. .223 while it will chamber and shoot, it's not exactly the same round. 5.56 NATO has a lot higher velocity and it's what your gun was designed for. If you shoot .223, your accuracy will suffer.

Like wise, 5.56 NATO will wear out your .223 rifle at a slightly faster rate also, if you shoot lots that is.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Of course, take distance into consideration. Lighter grain for your run-of-the-mill Post Office shooting, but for your disgruntled warehouse worker type shooting, you'll want to go with heavier grain.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Croc

Thanks. I have a bunch of SS109.

If you intend on using it at a commercial range, note that some don't want you using SS109 for various reasons. (e.g. It can chew up steel targets faster, it can throw sparks on impact which, if you're in a very dry climate/season, can be hazardous)

[url]
jgoose71

***with a 16" barrel and a 1/7 twist rate? I've heard that heavier bullets are best.

With a 16" barrel you are going to want at least 57gr ammo. You might be able to get away with 52gr but I would try a couple rounds before you start buying in bulk.

The problem with short barrels it that they don't necessarily allow you rifle to build up enough back pressure to cycle properly. I had an M-4 with a 10" barrel for a while and 52gr frangible rounds. It turned my gun into a single fire weapon. I would say go to a store with a range and give it a try.

And don't buy .223 ammo for your AR. .223 while it will chamber and shoot, it's not exactly the same round. 5.56 NATO has a lot higher velocity and it's what your gun was designed for. If you shoot .223, your accuracy will suffer.

Like wise, 5.56 NATO will wear out your .223 rifle at a slightly faster rate also, if you shoot lots that is.

I have built and compete with ARs for years. This isn't all true. 14.5-16.0 inch barrels were cut for the 62 grain. Really twist rate is what is important. 1/7 twist is set for 62-77 grain. It's a fairly fast twist rate.

The difference between 5.56mm and .223 has nothing to do with velocity and everything to do with pressure. 5.56mm has a higher CUP pressure which won't lead to barrel wear but may lead to chamber erosion or even explosions.

Buy 62 grain anything for the AR anything else is a waste.
Propblast

Croc

I don't have an answer to your question, but

Post #556:D:D:D

EDIT: It was your post #556 when I read it. What's the chance of that happening?

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Thanks. Your info confirms some other things that I have read.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy