normiss

Redskins!

DanG

As I've said before, I have no problem with the KC Chiefs, or the Atlanta Braves, or any name that actually refers to the great, warriorlike qualities of Native Americans.

Redskins refers only to the color of their skin. It's not the same.

There's a difference between a team called the Samurais, and a team called the Slopes.

This. Everything else is just wanking.

SkyDekker

***So how many non PC names are we allowed to keep?

Who says the Washington DC NFL team isn't allowed to be called Redskins? They are allowed to call themselves that, what they have lost is the ability to make a lot of money off the name.

Well, in fairness, I do think a reasonable legal argument can be made that that's a constructive denial of a right naturally flowing from intellectual property, and that, as such, it is tantamount, in practical reality, to a prohibition of the possession of that intellectual property. That argument may or may not win the day, but still, it's not a frivolous one.

Buccaneers?
Pirates?
Chiefs?
Black Hawks?

It was a major financial fine to the Redskins organization.
I'm curious how many high schools can afford to change from Redskins too. It's an expensive task.
Ask the high school that was using the Ram Trucks logo.

I understand the intent, I do. It's just silly to start down this path IMO.
I can't wait for the lawsuit when someone hears an offensive 4-way or 10-way team name announced over the PA at your local DZ.
:D:D:D

SkyDekker

***So how many non PC names are we allowed to keep?

Who says the Washington DC NFL team isn't allowed to be called Redskins? They are allowed to call themselves that, what they have lost is the ability to make a lot of money off the name.

I agree. The Government should stay out of it. the only role of teh trademark and patent office should be to protect the unique names, not make any subjective value decisions on the submittals themselves. The market will take care of any unsavory or outdated terms in use.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

quade

I think the Trademark and Patent Office has always been allowed to reject offensive names.

if so, that's absolutely inappropriate as a governmental function. we don't need Big Brother making PC, or religious, or moral decisions for private company decisions and branding

but nowadays I wouldn't be surprised - it falls over the line into theocracy type behavior and it seems some pigs would LOVE that

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

*** I think the Trademark and Patent Office has always been allowed to reject offensive names.

if so, that's absolutely inappropriate as a governmental function. we don't need Big Brother making PC, or religious, or moral decisions for private company decisions and branding

but nowadays I wouldn't be surprised - it falls over the line into theocracy type behavior and it seems some pigs would LOVE that

I agree that a pure view of the 1st Amendment supports what you say - just as, for example, a pure view of it would be inconsistent with FCC regulation or radio & TV broadcasting content. But the practical reality, like it or not, is that some degree of such regulation has been permitted & upheld in the courts.

rehmwa

*** I think the Trademark and Patent Office has always been allowed to reject offensive names.

I don't know what you mean by "these days" but the Lanham Act (under which these sorts of decisions are permitted) was passed in 1946.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

normiss

It's actually shocking to see some of the existing trademarks they have protected.
Thereby making this one being singled out even more silly.
You think this one's offensive?
Go take a peek.

Well, I'm not singling out anything. Somebody filed. If you have standing and want to file against the other offensive trademarks you should do so.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

quade

FFS it's a SPORTS TEAM NAME.

It's not the cure for cancer.

So much tempest in a tea pot. Good god. Get the F over it and change the name. Not doing so just makes them look like stubborn assholes and what's hilarious is all the people who want to defend them look exactly the same and apparently don't realize it.

IT'S F'ING SPORTS TEAM. GET OVER YOURSELVES.

Ya
they look just like the stuborn assholes who keep telling them to change the name!!!!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

People getting all bent about a private organization changing their name.

honestly, I don't see this as any different than 'churchy' types getting all bent about whether a girl's skirt covers her ankles vs her knees

it's all a bit 'church lady' ish if you ask me - but people can say or feel what they like

but when either of those flavor of groups start to say that laws and policy should be adjusted to address it, that's when the line is crossed

normiss

It's actually shocking to see some of the existing trademarks they have protected.
Thereby making this one being singled out even more silly.
You think this one's offensive?
Go take a peek.

It's customary to provide a link you have already found for the ease and efficiency of others here. NooB
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Iago

***Why was this team name singled out?
Seems a bit illegal to do that.

Haven't you heard the news?

Obama has a pen and a phone.

So its all good!

Sooo "FAG" is OK as a trademark, but Redskins, not so much.

[facepalm]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

quade

***If it's just a sport's team name, why all the hub-bub to begin with?

Because it is racially offensive. Change it and there will be no issue.

Honestly at this point I'm confused why the league hasn't stepped in and done a Sterling.

Who are you to be the one who decides if its racially motivated? Have fun fighting daniel snyder. Its a loosing battle that is tying up resources that could be devoted towards...well something remotely pertinant.