skinnay

God fails to protect own priest in church

Which one? There are thousands to choose from, and they all have the EXACT same amount of evidence of existence.... NONE.

I'm easy, pick one. But make sure it is a God of Love. Faith opens the door, and love will lead you to where you need to go. And remember the validity of your faith will be manifested by its fruits. Happy Hunting !!!!

maadmax

Which one? There are thousands to choose from, and they all have the EXACT same amount of evidence of existence.... NONE.

I'm easy, pick one. But make sure it is a God of Love. Faith opens the door, and love will lead you to where you need to go. And remember the validity of your faith will be manifested by its fruits. Happy Hunting !!!!

A reading of the Old Testament is far more suggestive of a god of jealousy, vindictiveness and vengeance who, although "out of time" has an abrupt personality change some 2,000 years ago.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I don't. I just want you to remember what I have shared with you when you experience your crisis in life. Everybody experiences crisis at some point. You just have not had yours yet.

So what do you say to people that have experienced such a crisis but that cements their belief that there is no god?

I have experienced such an event(Cushing June 21st 2003, it's been discussed on here before). At no point did I feel the presence of the "almighty". I actually felt the complete opposite, a complete lack of a higher power. How does that fit into your equation?
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

kallend

A reading of the Old Testament is far more suggestive of a god of jealousy, vindictiveness and vengeance who, although "out of time" has an abrupt personality change some 2,000 years ago.

Well, about that time, he did decide to have a kid and bring it to to LZ.

Sounds like skydivers, they bitch about kids at the DZ and complain and complain. Then when they have their own, they do a complete 180 and bring them and their damn dogs and don't watch them and start getting worried about the atmosphere.

Sounds like this particular god is as self centered as typical yuppie skydivers. Whatever his current status, that's the center of the universe.

Normally, I just find it annoying, but combine it with ultimate creative and vengeful power, and it can get down right intrusive.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

kallend

And that is why God created woman. Capisce?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

tonyhays

I don't. I just want you to remember what I have shared with you when you experience your crisis in life. Everybody experiences crisis at some point. You just have not had yours yet.

So what do you say to people that have experienced such a crisis but that cements their belief that there is no god?

I have experienced such an event(Cushing June 21st 2003, it's been discussed on here before). At no point did I feel the presence of the "almighty". I actually felt the complete opposite, a complete lack of a higher power. How does that fit into your equation?

I have no knowledge of your personal situation. All I know is that when I was at my deepest point, had no hope and surrendered at the foot of the cross, Jesus Christ came into my heart and I became a new person. I began my experience in a new life.

When you reach a crossroads you have to make a choice. The choice is yours and yours alone. As the Scripture says, many are called but few are chosen. As long as you are breathing you have the choice available.

The key is surrender. The Holy Spirit is a gentleman He will not force you to choose Christ. You have to ask for Christ to come into your heart.

It is not a matter of intellectual understanding. It is surrender from your innermost being.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

He is vengeful and smites us with anger and despite

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

RonD1120

We were only created 2000 years ago now????
Guys must have been giving themselves handjobs for a fuck of a long time before that.
I thought it was 6000 years of begattings...

Personally I never trusted the "chosen people" that much to keep good track of humanity for all of geologic time... God must have some LONG ass days to contend with.

rehmwa

He is vengeful and smites us with anger and despite

And, He gives us unimaginable blessings.

Oh ca'mon, read Genesis and you will see that Christ was there in the beginning. "Let us make man in our image."

And, "God saw that it was not good for man to be alone." IOW, He separated out the female. Man then realized he had someone to blame for his troubles.

RonD1120

Oh ca'mon, read Genesis and you will see that Christ was there in the beginning. "Let us make man in our image."

And, "God saw that it was not good for man to be alone." IOW, He separated out the female. Man then realized he had someone to blame for his troubles.

Is that interpretation in the scrolls or in Cousin James version. I always tend in question if those damn interpreters that get hired are really getting it right when ever I travel. You pay lots of money.. who is to say they are smart enough to actually get the translations right.

Amazon

***Oh ca'mon, read Genesis and you will see that Christ was there in the beginning. "Let us make man in our image."

Is that interpretation in the scrolls or in Cousin James version. I always tend in question if those damn interpreters that get hired are really getting it right when ever I travel. You pay lots of money.. who is to say they are smart enough to actually get the translations right.

Like what Al Stephens used to say about skydiving, "Ya pays your money and ya takes your chances."

It takes faith. The end result is what determines the validity.

Amazon

***Oh ca'mon, read Genesis and you will see that Christ was there in the beginning. "Let us make man in our image."

Ron doesn't know anything about the original languages.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Southern_Man

******Oh ca'mon, read Genesis and you will see that Christ was there in the beginning. "Let us make man in our image."

What do I need to know?

Southern_Man

******Oh ca'mon, read Genesis and you will see that Christ was there in the beginning. "Let us make man in our image."

Knowing what I know about my Cousin James and the turmoil of the times for Christianity in England, I am thinking they might not have gotten the very best translations of the texts. Who knows what bastardizations were used to write even the original translations after the early Coptic Christians went to great lengths of plunging the world into over a millennia of stupidity by burning the Library of Alexandria. The loss of knowledge took humans until the Renaissance to begin to recover and one of the greatest blocks to even that came from the Catholic Church. It would be interesting to actually know just what the Vatican has stuffed away that might challenge their closely held dogmas even today.

WoodlandWookiee

I've shown up a bit late so I'm ignorant as to what's on the other five pages of the thread and all...

Meh, you haven't missed much. Your post is by far the most interesting...thanks.

WoodlandWookiee

I'm curious: the position here seems to be pointing to [nothing] and saying, "that's where [The One] is." Well, we can't verify that, can we? Because there's nothing there.

The popular idea seems to suggest that the universe has a definite beginning where the point of creation produced both space and time.

If you were ask some scientists what happened/existed prior to this event, they may become very irritated and even grow a bit uneasy. They may answer back and say, "nothing, so don't ask!" Or your question may be dismissed entirely as nonsense, because to them, it's akin to asking what happens/exists if you were to travel north of the north pole?

People are looking for something that resembles causality, and when you ask some scientific minds for the cause, they simply dismiss it by saying causality is only an illusion of human intuition.

WoodlandWookiee

would you be able to explain what "beyond space", "beyond time", and "beyond natural laws" is? What it looks like? How it functions in the universe? Are there any examples of these concepts?.

There are some metaphysical concepts/scientific philosophies/theories based on mathematics that illustrate the possibility of space and physical laws beyond that which we would expect to observe in our own universe.

Some have been described as an infinite loaf of sliced bread, while other models seem to resemble some type of multi-belled tuba...however, none of these illustrate the idea of being outside of time.

Mathematics has allowed scientists to theoretically go back to the point of creation and "break on through to the other side" where time continues into a realm that might have a completely different set of "physical" laws. Perhaps this could be a spiritual realm, perhaps it could be heaven...I don't know, your guess is as good as mine.

...But this is all just interesting stuff to ponder. My faith is not dependent on the knowledge of any of it. I just wake up, observe creation and something within searches for causality and I find God who has organized it all.

I look at my messy house and realize that the chaos isn't going to organize itself itself...

WoodlandWookiee

If it's timeless, how can we verify it exists outside of time? We can't observe non-time, because we exist inside time..

Well, I've been looking through some scripture to find a reference where God could be considered as "outside of time," but I'm just not finding it. Any reference of God's relation to time only seems to suggest that His perception of it is different than ours and that it does not affect Him as it does us.

It appears the idea of "timelessness" may not be biblical after all, and simply just a remnant of Greek philosophy/paganism that had crept into christian theology...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

A lot of that OT stuff offends my sensibilities as well. But overall there is still an encouraging message there.

maadmax

Faith opens the door, and love will lead you to where you need to go. And remember the validity of your faith will be manifested by its fruits. Happy Hunting !!!!

It's the simple things like this that really help me out in my struggles. I really needed to hear this again...thanks, max.

RonD1120

*********Oh ca'mon, read Genesis and you will see that Christ was there in the beginning. "Let us make man in our image."

What do I need to know?

How to read and translate them so you know what it actually says.

The popular idea seems to suggest that the universe has a definite beginning where the point of creation produced both space and time.

If you were ask some scientists what happened/existed prior to this event, they may become very irritated and even grow a bit uneasy. They may answer back and say, "nothing, so don't ask!" Or your question may be dismissed entirely as nonsense, because to them, it's akin to asking what happens/exists if you were to travel north of the north pole?

Evidently you have never talked to a cosmologist.

Let me assure you, what you think they might say is not what they would say.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Southern_Man

Truth cuts through all levels of consciousness and languages. On 16 Mar 81 when I asked Jesus Christ to come into my life and take control the only Scripture I was familiar with was Psalm 23, The Lord's Prayer and John 3:16.

When I asked for and received the baptism of the Holy Spirit I was seeking on the basis of Luke 11: 9-13.

When I was delivered from the desire for mood altering substances there was no Scripture involved at all. I was only in prayerful meditation with God.

The reality is based on faith in Christ, surrender of self and experience.

Romans 10:13
For “whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

What else do you need to know?

RonD1120

Truth cuts through all levels of consciousness and languages. On 16 Mar 81 when I asked Jesus Christ to come into my life and take control the only Scripture I was familiar with was Psalm 23, The Lord's Prayer and John 3:16.

When I asked for and received the baptism of the Holy Spirit I was seeking on the basis of Luke 11: 9-13.

When I was delivered from the desire for mood altering substances there was no Scripture involved at all. I was only in prayerful meditation with God.

I don't need to know anything. I already know how to read in the original languages. I've seen you quote some pretty inaccurate stuff from time to time, some of which I've responded to, some not.

Southern_Man

I don't need to know anything. I already know how to read in the original languages. I've seen you quote some pretty inaccurate stuff from time to time, some of which I've responded to, some not.

OK! Do you believe Jesus Christ died for your sin? Do you believe He is the Son of God and man? Do you believe that He was resurrected and is alive now? Have you accepted Him as your Lord and Savior?

jakee

Evidently you have never talked to a cosmologist.

Let me assure you, what you think they might say is not what they would say.

Ya, they say a lot...

A cosmologist, biologist and an astrophysicist walk into a bar...:D