kallend

Political satire, a comparison of UK and US TV shows

The problem I had when I watched a few episodes of "The Thick of It", was I couldn't stop thinking how much I wanted to punch Malcom Tucker. Now if I had been assured he would get punched at least once in every episode, that would have made it worth watching.

And I still haven't seen a political satire as good as "Yes, Mr Minister"/"Yes, Prime Minister".
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I have not watched either of these, but the descriptions in the Atlantic mirror how I saw the difference between the UK and US 'The Office.' Despite the same people behind it, very different tone. Sardonic humor doesn't play well here. Nor does Douglas Adam wit, at least not on large scale. There are plenty of Americans who like Monty Python or Doctor Who, but it's not dominant.

Or...compare US action movies to those out of Hong Kong. We rarely see an unhappy ending. They rarely seem to get a happy one.

Ok...

So they hate the way we spell
They hate the way we talk
They hate our eating habits
They hate our inferior sense of humor
They hate our pretentious pronunciation
They hate our guns
They hate our patriotism
They hate us
Now they nitpick the media super power of the world...

I never seen a people with such a bruised, jealous ego since the Palestinians...

If any of you sons of unaffectionate bitches don't like it here, then just ship your miserable arses back to the UK and suckle your own crowning queen mother's pompous tit.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Well that escalated quickly.

Interestingly, the only person expressing any hate here is you. Everyone else was having an interesting discussion about the differences in satire between the two countries.

To the OP - I haven't seen the series commented upon in the article (no TV here!), but Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister were genius. A lot of posters here should watch some of them before they comment - the polling episode springs to mind. :D

ETA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA&feature=kp

Never try to eat more than you can lift

Stumpy

Well that escalated quickly.

Interestingly, the only person expressing any hate here is you.

Ummm, the topic here is satire. Duh...

Besides, us over here in the U.S give little regard to the musings on your miserable speck of mud, muchless your opinion of us...:P

There, did that smiley help?

Stumpy

Besides, us over here in the U.S give little regard to the musings on your miserable speck of mud, muchless your opinion of us...:P

Yet here you are commenting..... ;)

Yes, but only for the sake of the 20 consistent viewers of this private forum who I love...

...but only in a sexual way.

I have not watched either of these

I haven't either...Ironically, "The Thick of it" is more accessible in the U.S than Veep. I refuse to buy HBO...

Bottom line, the U.S is just very simple...Money. The most accessible shows are the ones that appeal to a general audience to entice sponsors. If we're looking for some special genre, we can find it...even if it's supposedly the best satirical political drama ever seen on the face of the planet! This is America...this is what we do...this is how we make our money.

America is simple, stupid and geared toward the whole family...because that's where the money is at.

...even in advertising...we believe the average viewer has only a 7 second attention span. (probably down to 4 seconds now.) Our advertisements are simple. There is big money in "explainer videos," where we describe businesses (even "serious" investor businesses) as simple as possible, as if people are retarded...we use cheesy cartoon animations, and they're a hit! Why? Not because people are stupid, but because their focus is on family...they're all just blissfully happy (trying) to live the American dream and provide the best for their kids.

We don't want them to feel anymore negativity than they already do...we want to build confidence.

I talk to so many people...they hate Simon Cowell, they hate Chef Ramsey. They're just sick of that miserable, depressing bullshit - That condescending british "accent" with "fuck" in every other word is getting a bit old - It was funny the first time, but thanks...we're good. Monty python was funny too...great! - but get over it....If we want more, we'll come to you.

Now just piss off!

(...See, not funny.)

The way I see it is the English have had a 800 or more years to perfect
their wit and sarcasm to the point of perfection.
The North Americans have had a little over 300 years
with a population worse than a can of Heinz 57
so how can anyone expect the North American to
understand English humor.
The Ozz'is on the other hand get it straight away
as a better class of English went to colonize Oz.

Gone fishing

Coreece

Ok...

They hate our guns
They hate our patriotism
They hate us

I never seen a people with such a bruised, jealous ego since the Palestinians...

If any of you sons of unaffectionate bitches don't like it here, then just ship your miserable arses back to the UK and suckle your own crowning queen mother's pompous tit.

Couldn't do that . . . they wouldn't have such a good medical system, taxation system, and gun ownership rights.

They couldn't be that hypocritical there. That's why they stay.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Zep

as a better class of English went to colonize Oz.

Truer words were never spoken . . . could you take the rest of the best residing here and recolonize the Roo territory again?;)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

"Couldn't do that . . . they wouldn't have such a good medical system, taxation system, and gun ownership rights.

They couldn't be that hypocritical there. That's why they stay. "

Not entirely true, They took away my Browning HP, 80% of the reason I left.
Within two years of being in my adopted country I had a legal Browning HP
still within Europe but with a different humor, one I still don't understand.
I moan and bitch all day long,. Could you imagine the sacrifices I've had to make
living in a country where heavy cream doesn't exist but hand gun ownership does.

Gone fishing

Zep

"Couldn't do that . . . they wouldn't have such a good medical system, taxation system, and gun ownership rights.

They couldn't be that hypocritical there. That's why they stay. "

Not entirely true, They took away my Browning HP, 80% of the reason I left.
Within two years of being in my adopted country I had a legal Browning HP
still within Europe but with a different humor, one I still don't understand.
I moan and bitch all day long,. Could you imagine the sacrifices I've had to make
living in a country where heavy cream doesn't exist but hand gun ownership does.

EEk - Don't try to get any large quantities of Ammonium Nitrate.:D

kallend

Fundamental differences between cultures based on completely different ways of looking at things. Everything would have to be considered from class stratification and mobility to how programs are funded. To say one is "better" is pretty silly though. It's not a contest. That's like saying the Stones are "better" than The Beatles which is a simply preposterous thing to quantify.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Criticizing America doesn't mean hating America.

You're a sensitive lot ;-)

In case you've never met a Brit before, we show our affection by insulting each other.

Standard Brit greeting to a friend: "morning wanker".

As a whole we are rather fond of you yanks, dumb as you may be :P

Coreece

Ok...

They hate our guns
They hate our patriotism
They hate us

Zep

"EEk - Don't try to get any large quantities of Ammonium Nitrate. "

Funny you should mention that, it's stored next to the diesel tanks in the tractor shed

LMAO.:D

Black Powder and timers?:):P

Zep

"EEk - Don't try to get any large quantities of Ammonium Nitrate. "

Funny you should mention that, it's stored next to the diesel tanks in the tractor shed

25 years ago I use to be in the lawn aeration business, I use to buy Ammonium Nitrate 2000 pounds at a time. I also had a diesel truck and carried fuel in the back, it would at times spill and mix with the ammonium nitrate pellets and form a thick crust in the bed.

I had no idea what that stuff was.:o

ryoder

And I still haven't seen a political satire as good as "Yes, Mr Minister"/"Yes, Prime Minister".

Spitting Image...

I wish they still made that but it would either be banned today, or over the heads of most of the viewing public.