RMK

You're still Number 1

Boomerdog

So before you call us a bunch of "gun crazies," try to understand

I lived in the US for 20 years, owned semi-automatic weapons myself.

Now having lived in Europe and Asia for the past 20 years, I think the world is little nicer and safer place if everyone is not "packing".
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

RMK

***They can have our 60 Hz grid when they pry it from our cold dead hands.

Know about the 50Hz/60Hz difference but never thought about why. What's the historical story behind the two different grid setups?

An American company and a European company independently chose almost the same answer for roughly the same reasons and thus the two standards were born.

There are advantages and disadvantages to using higher or lower frequencies for AC grids, but there's really not a big enough difference between 50 Hz and 60 Hz to get hung up on either.

Andy9o8

You spend millions on a silly and corrupt royal family, you have bad teeth, your food tastes like donkey dick, you have a nanny-state BPA, you don't know how to say the word "shit", you use rocks or something as a unit of measure, and you have the Welsh.

So don't be throwing stones. Rocks. Whatever.

How exactly do you know what a donkey dick tastes like.:o
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Rick

******You spend millions on a silly and corrupt royal family, you have bad teeth, your food tastes like donkey dick, you have a nanny-state BPA, you don't know how to say the word "shit", you use rocks or something as a unit of measure, and you have the Welsh.

OK. Must admit I'm with you on the use of "stone" as a unit of body weight ... and the Welsh.

and you don't know how to pronounce aluminum correctly........so there :P

yeah, like, where did the extra "i" come from and get inserted before the u?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

turtlespeed

*********You spend millions on a silly and corrupt royal family, you have bad teeth, your food tastes like donkey dick, you have a nanny-state BPA, you don't know how to say the word "shit", you use rocks or something as a unit of measure, and you have the Welsh.

OK. Must admit I'm with you on the use of "stone" as a unit of body weight ... and the Welsh.

yeah, like, where did the extra "i" come from and get inserted before the u?

From Wiki...

Etymology

Two variants of the metal's name are in current use, aluminium (pronunciation: /ˌæl(j)ʊˈmɪniːəm/) and aluminum (/əˈluːmɪnəm/)—besides the obsolete alumium. The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) adopted aluminium as the standard international name for the element in 1990 but, three years later, recognized aluminum as an acceptable variant. Hence their periodic table includes both.[62] IUPAC prefers the use of aluminium in its internal publications, although nearly as many IUPAC publications use the spelling aluminum.[63]

Most countries use the spelling aluminium. In the United States and Canada, the spelling aluminum predominates.[15][64] The Canadian Oxford Dictionary prefers aluminum, whereas the Australian Macquarie Dictionary prefers aluminium. In 1926, the American Chemical Society officially decided to use aluminum in its publications; American dictionaries typically label the spelling aluminium as "chiefly British".[65][66]

The various names all derive from its status as a base of alum. It is borrowed from Old French; its ultimate source, alumen, in turn is a Latin word that literally means "bitter salt".[67]

The earliest citation given in the Oxford English Dictionary for any word used as a name for this element is alumium, which British chemist and inventor Humphry Davy employed in 1808 for the metal he was trying to isolate electrolytically from the mineral alumina. The citation is from the journal Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London: "Had I been so fortunate as to have obtained more certain evidences on this subject, and to have procured the metallic substances I was in search of, I should have proposed for them the names of silicium, alumium, zirconium, and glucium."[68][69]

Davy settled on aluminum by the time he published his 1812 book Chemical Philosophy: "This substance appears to contain a peculiar metal, but as yet Aluminum has not been obtained in a perfectly free state, though alloys of it with other metalline substances have been procured sufficiently distinct to indicate the probable nature of alumina."[70] But the same year, an anonymous contributor to the Quarterly Review, a British political-literary journal, in a review of Davy's book, objected to aluminum and proposed the name aluminium, "for so we shall take the liberty of writing the word, in preference to aluminum, which has a less classical sound."[71]

The -ium suffix conformed to the precedent set in other newly discovered elements of the time: potassium, sodium, magnesium, calcium, and strontium (all of which Davy isolated himself). Nevertheless, -um spellings for elements were not unknown at the time, as for example platinum, known to Europeans since the 16th century, molybdenum, discovered in 1778, and tantalum, discovered in 1802. The -um suffix is consistent with the universal spelling alumina for the oxide (as opposed to aluminia), as lanthana is the oxide of lanthanum, and magnesia, ceria, and thoria are the oxides of magnesium, cerium, and thorium respectively.

The spelling used throughout the 19th century by most U.S. chemists was aluminium, but common usage is less clear.[72] The aluminum spelling is used in the Webster's Dictionary of 1828. In his advertising handbill for his new electrolytic method of producing the metal in 1892, Charles Martin Hall used the -um spelling, despite his constant use of the -ium spelling in all the patents[59] he filed between 1886 and 1903.[73] It has consequently been suggested[by whom?] that the spelling reflects an easier-to-pronounce word with one fewer syllable, or that the spelling on the flyer was a mistake. Hall's domination of production of the metal ensured that the spelling aluminum became the standard in North America.

So before you call us a bunch of "gun crazies," try to understand and be a bit respectful of our history and point of view.

Wow, you've fought wars on your own soil. I'd forgotten how unique that makes you in global society!

OOOPSS! I have made a GROSS geographical error.
Yorktown is located on the York River NOT the James River.

If only there'd been a clue...:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

So before you call us a bunch of "gun crazies," try to understand and be a bit respectful of our history and point of view.

Wow, you've fought wars on your own soil. I'd forgotten how unique that makes you in global society!

I'm waiting to find out when the English Soldiers came over here to do anything but kill us.

I bet they cannot say the same for US Soldiers.

jakee

i think his point is that we learned from our wars. we dont like it when people who know whats best for us, take our guns.

my comment is meant to be humorous. hoping people dont get all sensitive.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

Rick

******You spend millions on a silly and corrupt royal family, you have bad teeth, your food tastes like donkey dick, you have a nanny-state BPA, you don't know how to say the word "shit", you use rocks or something as a unit of measure, and you have the Welsh.

LithIUM, sodIUM, magnesIUM, potassIUM, calcIUM, scandIUM, titanIUM, vanadIUM, chromIUM, gallIUM, germanIUM, selenIUM, rubidIUM ......

The -IUMs have it by a wide margin.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

weekender

i think his point is that we learned from our wars. we dont like it when people who know whats best for us, take our guns.

Having the highest homicide rate in the western industrialized world doesn't seem all that humerous to me.

Compare the number of people murdered by guns since 9/10/2001 with the number of Americans killed in terrorist attacks since the same date (which, you note, INCLUDES 9/11)

How exactly do you know what a donkey dick tastes like.

I've had spotted dick :):P

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

turtlespeed

I bet they cannot say the same for US Soldiers.

I found it interesting this OP got rolled out on the 70th anniversary of D-day.

Not overly cranky about it, it's just been on my mind today...

Elvisio "heading out to bagpipe at the WWII memorial in town in just a bit" Rodriguez

OR

Elvisio "10,000 unemployed comedians, Turtle, and me show up here" Rodriguez

kallend

Having the highest homicide rate in the western industrialized world doesn't seem all that humerous to me.

Compare the number of people murdered by guns since 9/10/2001 with the number of Americans killed in terrorist attacks since the same date (which, you note, INCLUDES 9/11)

But who will think of the children?? cmon, man, i even made a point of stating it was not to be taking serious.

having a high homicide rate in not humorous to me either. it also, has nothing to do with my point. which was a light hearted comment about the American Revolution to someone i assumed is a Brit.

you are such a bore.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

jakee

Don't forget, we bailed your sorry asses out in WWII against the Germans. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

And like I mentioned earlier, we haven't sent soldiers over there to kill them, but we sure as HELL sent some over to save their ass.

turtlespeed

And like I mentioned earlier, we haven't sent soldiers over there to kill them, but we sure as HELL sent some over to save their ass.

And because Americans (and by Americans, I mean you guys personally) saved the entire nation of Great Britain from the evil Germans, all British and the rest of the world should be in awe of Americans, on their knees licking the soles of your boots clean.

USA #1!

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

masterblaster72

And because Americans (and by Americans, I mean you guys personally) saved the entire nation of Great Britain from the evil Germans, all British and the rest of the world should be in awe of Americans, on their knees licking the soles of your boots clean.

USA #1!

No need to lick the soles of my boots (that's just gross.) A spit shine will do just fine, thank you kindly.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

BillyVance

Really? When the help was REALLY needed (Summer - Fall 1940) where was the US?

Oh yes, denying aviation fuel to the RAF, and Ambassador Kennedy was telling Roosevelt not to send aid because Britain would fall in 2 weeks. A total of 11 American pilots fought alongside the RAF in the Battle of Britain. There were more Irish, French or Belgians than that. The 11 Americans were actually breaking US law in helping out the RAF.

US didn't even join in until the UK, Canada, Australia,New Zealand etc, had been fighting the Nazis for over 2 years.

On D-Day there were more British and Canadian troops involved than US troops.

The invasion fleet included 6,047 landing craft (2,288 of which were provided by the US Navy) and 753 warships (696 of which were provided by the Canadian and Royal Navies, 46 by the US, and 11 by other countries)

Now you’re just going to cause confusion coming in here with actual facts and real numbers.

Forgive them; their knowledge of history comes mostly from Hollywood movies and American history textbooks (written with a particular slant).
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

turtlespeed

Your grasp of history is tenuous to non-existent.

RAF had already WON the Battle of Britain and Hitler had cancelled invasion plans on 17 September 1940, 3 YEARS before the first US troops set foot in occupied Europe.

There was never any risk at all of a Nazi invasion of Britain after 18 December 1940 (Hitler's Directive No. 21). Even you will recognize that this pre-dates 7th December 1941.

Hollywood historians!!!

kallend

Your grasp of history is tenuous to non-existent.

RAF had already WON the Battle of Britain and Hitler had cancelled invasion plans on 17 September 1940, 3 YEARS before the first US troops set foot in occupied Europe.

There was never any risk at all of a Nazi invasion of Britain after 18 December 1940 (Hitler's Directive No. 21). Even you will recognize that this pre-dates 7th December 1941.

Hollywood historians!!!

This may help him out.

http://www.secondworldwarhistory.com/united-states-ww2-events-timeline.asp

http://www.secondworldwarhistory.com/britain-ww2-events-timeline.asp

The U.S. basically sat back and watched until Pearl Harbor was attacked.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Hi free,

The U.S. basically sat back and watched until Pearl Harbor was attacked.

From most of what I have read, FDR knew that we would eventually be in the war in Europe. However, due to a group known as 'America Firsters', he had to campaign in 1940 with the argument that he would not send American boys/men to a war in Europe. 1940 was only 22 yrs after the end of WWI, and that is not a long period of time.

Also, IIRC Hitler declared war on us first; not us on him first.

JerryBaumchen

JerryBaumchen

Also, IIRC Hitler declared war on us first; not us on him first.

JerryBaumchen

Correct. Germany declared war on the USA on Dec 11, 1941. Congress then had little option but to state that a state of war existed, a few hours later.