J-S

Pulled over in NJ, can I still get tickets?

Wow thats terrible.

Hope it all works out.

I drove in Florida in January this year and I noticed a lot of drivers behind you accelerate when you indicate to change lanes.

Funny how every country has its specific driving "bad habits". In France its tailgating and trying to overtake you regardless of how fast you are going.

J-S

I googled for an answer, got conflicting answers. So I'll ask here being some of you are lawyers or officers.

Driving on a two lane highway that merges into one lane. I'm in the right lane merging into the single lane, car in front of me. Car behind me is safely behind me as I move into the single lane. She floors it trying to get in front of me (no more two lane dashes, we're in one lane now). She gets on the side of me within inches of hitting me. I move to the shoulder and get behind her. We respectively flip each other off.

We get to a red light, I pull to the shoulder to turn sitting at the light. Green light she swerves into my car almost hitting me, within a couple inches. I don't turn and get behind her. She slams on her brakes, stops all traffic, gets out yelling I hit her and to pull over she's calling the police. She pulls over, I don't, I'm in front of her now as she's riding my ass. I call 911 and report her. State police pull me over and she follows.

She's an off duty state trooper. The officers question me what happened, I tell them. She says I hit her, that she informed me she was a police officer, and took off, hit and run. I asked them to point out the damage on my car (none) and I was denied to see the damage on her vehicle. Videoed the officer standing there and the side of my car that would of been damaged as evidence.

I was issued no tickets, both uniformed officers said there's no evidence of a hit and run. They said she will be her own self witness and mail me tickets if she sees fit.

Can I still get tickets from an off duty officer if I was not issued tickets from uniformed officers?

Coreece

Revelation 3:17
For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked.

I'm sorry that it's so hard for you people to see that...

http://youtu.be/x1iV24hL8Rk?t=8s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4AtBBVZ73U

http://youtu.be/tJ7z5CUsrbk :D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Obviously, she was being a bully. I'd take Airtwardo's advice and write a letter... pronto! She started things by her driving and flipping you off. Then, she got her fellow officers to support her. She probably won't do anything more but I wouldn't give her the opportunity. Her superiors need to know about this. There's no telling what she's gotten away with in the past and more than likely she'll try for more.

Chuck

masterrig

Obviously, she was being a bully. I'd take Airtwardo's advice and write a letter... pronto! She started things by her driving and flipping you off. Then, she got her fellow officers to support her. She probably won't do anything more but I wouldn't give her the opportunity. Her superiors need to know about this. There's no telling what she's gotten away with in the past and more than likely she'll try for more.

Chuck

Thanks, I concur.

I went down to the state police station to file a complaint, they said they couldn't give me the officers names but it will be on the police report that I can obtain tomorrow, got the case number and phone to get it. The officer helping me said there was no accident report just an incident report.

Then 4 of them came out to watch our conversation after I told the first officer what happened briefly. How she called in a hit and run and how I called 911 to report a reckless driver. I told them they can review the full complaint in writing when I hand in my and my girlfriends complaint tomorrow.

One said "even though there wasn't an accident report are sure you still going to file a complaint?" I say "yes, thank you guys for your time and be safe out there". They seemed a bit nervous after I said yes.

To anyone who knows: shouldn't there be an accident report since one was reported, falsely or not?

Thanks everyone who posted and PM'd information, very helpful.

They seemed a bit nervous after I said yes.

Gee...wonder why?! ;)

~~ No accident report because there was no accident, IF they would have filled out an accident report without reasonable belief there actually WAS an accident, they would be filing a false report.

They didn't buy her story either but out of courtesy just gave her a wink & a nod...it isn't fair - but it is what it is.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

J-S

Gopro is mounted on my dash for now.

I ordered this, front and rear camera http://www.blackvue.co.kr/en/contents/sub1.asp?idx=17

I expect to be harassed. Now I will have evidence for future problems, citizen or officer issues. Hopefully neither will take place, but there's always an ass out there driving like an idiot.

I'm not familiar with those but do they record sound, too? You want to record voices, not just faces. I really think, since you filed a complaint, they'll back-off. I don't think they would want to make this any bigger than it is. Then too, you just never know. You're on the right track. Keep the odds in your favor.

Chuck

Hi J-S,

shouldn't there be an accident report since one was reported, falsely or not?

From what I've read so far, no one reported an accident via official forms.

Here in Oregon, you are not req'd to file an accident report unless that damage exceeds a certain amount in dollars ( I think it is ~$1400 now ). Here in Oregon one can file an accident report at any value of loss should they wish to do so.

JerryBaumchen

PS) If you're going to write a letter, may I suggest that you get someone to assist you. From what I read here, your grammar/punctuation could use some help.

masterrig

Chuck

And send it REGISTERED MAIL.. Return receipt etc etc.

A question, your opinions.

Since the off duty officer called in a hit and run when evidence shows otherwise, is it a case of false imprisonment? Keeping me detained in my car too when I asked to exit the vehicle to take pictures of the damage of her vehicle? (I have video of him denying me the exit of my car).

you are in the right here, don't push it. do not dorp it now, make damn sure you write the letter, and have someone, or three, look it over for you. spell check is NOT your friend, too many cases of the wrong word used but spelled correctly. best way to check the letter is read it out loud to yourself. things that are wrong sound wrong, you may miss them while reading them silently.

Amazon

***Obviously, she was being a bully. I'd take Airtwardo's advice and write a letter... pronto! She started things by her driving and flipping you off. Then, she got her fellow officers to support her. She probably won't do anything more but I wouldn't give her the opportunity. Her superiors need to know about this. There's no telling what she's gotten away with in the past and more than likely she'll try for more.

You bet! Nothing better than good, honest proof!

Chuck

Chuck

And send it REGISTERED MAIL.. Return receipt etc etc.

J-S

A question, your opinions.

Since the off duty officer called in a hit and run when evidence shows otherwise, is it a case of false imprisonment? Keeping me detained in my car too when I asked to exit the vehicle to take pictures of the damage of her vehicle? (I have video of him denying me the exit of my car).

Doubtful. They can always say that they were detaining you in order to find out what had happened (which is legal) and that they didn't want you out of the car on the side of the road for safety reasons (which is actually a valid concern - lots of officers and citizens have been killed that way).

It doesn't mean that they didn't keep you there knowing full well what the truth was. It doesn't mean they didn't keep you there just to fuck with your head.

But you will have a very hard time proving it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

***A question, your opinions.

Doubtful. They can always say that they were detaining you in order to find out what had happened (which is legal) and that they didn't want you out of the car on the side of the road for safety reasons (which is actually a valid concern - lots of officers and citizens have been killed that way).

It doesn't mean that they didn't keep you there knowing full well what the truth was. It doesn't mean they didn't keep you there just to fuck with your head.

But you will have a very hard time proving it. We were in a parking lot, dunkin donuts.

Ill PM a few of you to proof read my statement when I'm done with it. Thanks for the help everyone!

J-S

******A question, your opinions.

But you will have a very hard time proving it. We were in a parking lot, dunkin donuts.

Ill PM a few of you to proof read my statement when I'm done with it. Thanks for the help everyone!

Make the sole focus the off duty officer, not the other officers as that could dilute your position.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Bolas

*********A question, your opinions.

Make the sole focus the off duty officer, not the other officers as that could dilute your position. I did, the uniformed officers were doing their job. The complaint is solely against the off duty officer.

Personally I would immediately file an open records request for any and all records pertaining to the incident including recorded phone calls from you and her, police officer camera footage, and all paper records and statements from the officers on scene. They legally have to satisfy a legal request for open records. This should sufficiently cause some pucker factor and give you full insight into what all has gone on behind the scenes.

J-S

I googled for an answer, got conflicting answers. So I'll ask here being some of you are lawyers or officers.

Driving on a two lane highway that merges into one lane. I'm in the right lane merging into the single lane, car in front of me. Car behind me is safely behind me as I move into the single lane. She floors it trying to get in front of me (no more two lane dashes, we're in one lane now). She gets on the side of me within inches of hitting me. I move to the shoulder and get behind her. We respectively flip each other off.

We get to a red light, I pull to the shoulder to turn sitting at the light. Green light she swerves into my car almost hitting me, within a couple inches. I don't turn and get behind her. She slams on her brakes, stops all traffic, gets out yelling I hit her and to pull over she's calling the police. She pulls over, I don't, I'm in front of her now as she's riding my ass. I call 911 and report her. State police pull me over and she follows.

She's an off duty state trooper. The officers question me what happened, I tell them. She says I hit her, that she informed me she was a police officer, and took off, hit and run. I asked them to point out the damage on my car (none) and I was denied to see the damage on her vehicle. Videoed the officer standing there and the side of my car that would of been damaged as evidence.

I was issued no tickets, both uniformed officers said there's no evidence of a hit and run. They said she will be her own self witness and mail me tickets if she sees fit.

Can I still get tickets from an off duty officer if I was not issued tickets from uniformed officers?

Beware the NJ State Police.

I had a gravel truck change lanes into me at a weave intersection, where I was in the second lane from the right and he was to my left and moving to occupy my lane. I locked up the brakes and swerved enough to the right to keep from getting crushed, but was clipped by an SUV overtaking to my right.

My car, a Honda Accord, had the front bumper torn loose by the SUV, and but I limited contact from the gravel truck to having my left mirror snapped forward.

The Troopers that showed up ticketed both me and the trucker, at which point I went ballistic. The Trooper who wrote the ticket was adamant that I had somehow contributed to the accident despite all evidence to the contrary.

When I showed up to get the accident report, the physics behind the Trooper's account would have made Warner Brothers' cartoonists roll their eyes. In it I was also quoted as having made reference to "Vehicle #1," "Vehicle #2" and so forth.

I informed the Trooper that lying was a sin and he was in danger of going to hell.

I told the Sergeant who refereed the discussion that the account was physically impossible; when he told me that he had taken Physics I asked him whether or not he had passed the subject. I informed the Sergeant that a liar is the lowest form of life, and that he was backing a liar.

I then left before he locked me up.

When I got to court I had aerial photographs of the intersection, photographs of the damage to my car, photographs of the site of the accident, video of traffic at that time of day and graphic analysis of the event (which differed greatly from the Trooper's version).

I could hardly wait to get the Trooper under oath so that he could either perjure himself on the stand or admit that the legal document he signed was false. Unfortunately, he saw fit to slip out the back before I could corner him.

Without the Trooper's testimony, charges were dropped and the trucker's insurance paid for all damages to my car and the SUV in the accident.

When dealing with police in general, having an excess of documentation to establish exactly what you did or did not do is essential, as is adhering to every law with which you are aware. I now have dash cams for every vehicle I drive.

BSBD,

Winsor

Andy9o8

I had aerial photographs of the intersection, photographs of the damage to my car, photographs of the site of the accident, video of traffic at that time of day and graphic analysis of the event

- Arlo Guthrie, 1967

:D:D:D:D:D:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Andy9o8

I had aerial photographs of the intersection, photographs of the damage to my car, photographs of the site of the accident, video of traffic at that time of day and graphic analysis of the event

- Arlo Guthrie, 1967

Color Glossy photographs.

With circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

winsor

***I googled for an answer, got conflicting answers. So I'll ask here being some of you are lawyers or officers.

Beware the NJ State Police.

I had a gravel truck change lanes into me at a weave intersection, where I was in the second lane from the right and he was to my left and moving to occupy my lane. I locked up the brakes and swerved enough to the right to keep from getting crushed, but was clipped by an SUV overtaking to my right.

My car, a Honda Accord, had the front bumper torn loose by the SUV, and but I limited contact from the gravel truck to having my left mirror snapped forward.

The Troopers that showed up ticketed both me and the trucker, at which point I went ballistic. The Trooper who wrote the ticket was adamant that I had somehow contributed to the accident despite all evidence to the contrary.

When I showed up to get the accident report, the physics behind the Trooper's account would have made Warner Brothers' cartoonists roll their eyes. In it I was also quoted as having made reference to "Vehicle #1," "Vehicle #2" and so forth.

I informed the Trooper that lying was a sin and he was in danger of going to hell.

I told the Sergeant who refereed the discussion that the account was physically impossible; when he told me that he had taken Physics I asked him whether or not he had passed the subject. I informed the Sergeant that a liar is the lowest form of life, and that he was backing a liar.

I then left before he locked me up.

When I got to court I had aerial photographs of the intersection, photographs of the damage to my car, photographs of the site of the accident, video of traffic at that time of day and graphic analysis of the event (which differed greatly from the Trooper's version).

I could hardly wait to get the Trooper under oath so that he could either perjure himself on the stand or admit that the legal document he signed was false. Unfortunately, he saw fit to slip out the back before I could corner him.

Without the Trooper's testimony, charges were dropped and the trucker's insurance paid for all damages to my car and the SUV in the accident.

When dealing with police in general, having an excess of documentation to establish exactly what you did or did not do is essential, as is adhering to every law with which you are aware. I now have dash cams for every vehicle I drive.

BSBD,

Winsor

I'm sorry you had troubles with illogically thinking humans too.

The trooper I dealt with said to me that he's been doing his job for 8 years and sometimes when there is contact between two cars there's no damages visible. Example he gave me, like when you parallel park and hit bumpers there's no damage to either vehicle. I invited him to look at my rear bumper to see what parallel parking contact looks like at less than .5 mph (it's all scratched up, little dents here and there). Aside from that the rest of my car is in mint condition. I explained to him we were going 45 mph at the first incident and around 10 mph the second incident. That there would of been some kind of damage.

They insisted on a hit and run until I started video taping requesting to see the damage on her vehicle and after I was video taping him from the inside of my car sticking my arm out of my window to show no damage to my vehicle.

kawisixer01

Personally I would immediately file an open records request for any and all records pertaining to the incident including recorded phone calls from you and her, police officer camera footage, and all paper records and statements from the officers on scene. They legally have to satisfy a legal request for open records. This should sufficiently cause some pucker factor and give you full insight into what all has gone on behind the scenes.

I did that today, I'll have to wait and see 2 weeks to see what they provide me with.

Incident report will take 2 weeks too to get back to me. I have to send them a written account of my side. I'm armed with my witness's statement too. Im finalizing my statement tonight and sending it once I find out the off duty officers name and badge number. I was denied that information when I went in person and told it will be in the incident report. Annoying how slow things have to take place.

I may go back in and ask to speak to a higher up and see if I can get that information.

A relative of mine works with three lawyers, so I may be able to get some free advise what I should do. She said something doesn't sound right about the situation.