J-S

Pulled over in NJ, can I still get tickets?

I googled for an answer, got conflicting answers. So I'll ask here being some of you are lawyers or officers.

Driving on a two lane highway that merges into one lane. I'm in the right lane merging into the single lane, car in front of me. Car behind me is safely behind me as I move into the single lane. She floors it trying to get in front of me (no more two lane dashes, we're in one lane now). She gets on the side of me within inches of hitting me. I move to the shoulder and get behind her. We respectively flip each other off.

We get to a red light, I pull to the shoulder to turn sitting at the light. Green light she swerves into my car almost hitting me, within a couple inches. I don't turn and get behind her. She slams on her brakes, stops all traffic, gets out yelling I hit her and to pull over she's calling the police. She pulls over, I don't, I'm in front of her now as she's riding my ass. I call 911 and report her. State police pull me over and she follows.

She's an off duty state trooper. The officers question me what happened, I tell them. She says I hit her, that she informed me she was a police officer, and took off, hit and run. I asked them to point out the damage on my car (none) and I was denied to see the damage on her vehicle. Videoed the officer standing there and the side of my car that would of been damaged as evidence.

I was issued no tickets, both uniformed officers said there's no evidence of a hit and run. They said she will be her own self witness and mail me tickets if she sees fit.

Can I still get tickets from an off duty officer if I was not issued tickets from uniformed officers?

Dude, even I know this lady's going to cost you some lawyer fees :(

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

That sucks dude. It was New Jersey. Don't fuck with Jersey girls... What she did was wrong, but being an off-duty trooper, she's likely going to get her way, unless you video'ed her driving behavior from the beginning. If you do get anything in the mail, lawyer up. [:/]

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

J-S

I was issued no tickets, both uniformed officers said there's no evidence of a hit and run. They said she will be her own self witness and mail me tickets if she sees fit.

Can I still get tickets from an off duty officer if I was not issued tickets from uniformed officers?

Sounds like any tickets from her would clearly be a conflict of interest. Hope you got names and badge numbers.

Was this woman in her personal car?
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Bolas

***I was issued no tickets, both uniformed officers said there's no evidence of a hit and run. They said she will be her own self witness and mail me tickets if she sees fit.

Sounds like any tickets from her would clearly be a conflict of interest. Hope you got names and badge numbers.

Was this woman in her personal car?
Ya, her own personal vehicle. Off duty, I'm not sure if she was within her jurisdiction or not, or even if that matters.

An off duty state police officer calls in a hit and run, two uniformed officers say there's no evidence of a hit and run, issues no tickets.

Officers tell me they believe whatever story she told over mine (they wouldn't tell me her side) because she's a sworn officer of the law, even though they basically realized she was lying being there was no damage. Maybe they didn't see a correlation?

Amazon

You are in severe need of a couple dash cams fore and aft.... I am betting you have not seen the last of the road raging trooper. Cover your ass..

Ya, go pro is going back on my dash. Maybe get one for the rear too even though it will be annoying starting them, removing them every time I leave my car.

I guess this is the new America.

Or . . . they realized she was fucked up and if they signed anything going along with her they could potentially be held accountable.

If you didn't get a ticket at that very moment, my guess is you probably won't. That's not to say you couldn't, but she's already screwed around with your head and won. Why would she pursue this any further with the possibility of being called on her bullshit?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

Or . . . they realized she was fucked up and if they signed anything going along with her they could potentially be held accountable.

If you didn't get a ticket at that very moment, my guess is you probably won't. That's not to say you couldn't, but she's already screwed around with your head and won. Why would she pursue this any further with the possibility of being called on her bullshit?

Because she is a freaking psycho and a member of the Blue Gang... Power tripping assholes... http://www.copblock.org/

Personally I would research her name and see how many complaints she has against her... If you even see her face again.. I would seek legal help to get a restraining order because you have a very powerful stalker at that point. ... preemptive strike.

quade

I sent J-S this in a PM...but WTF, why not post it too...:)

IF you have her name and what agency she works for - you need to compose a letter of complaint to her supervisor asap.

The letter should be calmly written, recalling every fact of the encounter - day, time , road conditions, traffic conditions, exactly where it all happened. List the make, model, year, plate etc. whatever you can come up with...

Explain the aggressive rude behavior, - the careless driving, the hand flip off...everything.

explain she didn't initially identify herself as a LEO...(and given the slurred speech & bloodshot eyes you didn't believe her when she did. :ph34r:)

~ ~ Believe it or not - a letter sent like that has tremendous effect.

It gets put in her file & if she's as nuts as you describe, it wouldn't be the first letter there (hopefully)

Get YOUR letter in before any tickets come (if any do)

There ARE a lotta bad cops out there - this is about the only effective recourse a civilian has...use it.

If/when enough complaints are filed - good chance out the door they go.

*A retired cop teaching the CCW class I took a couple years ago, went through the whole file a complaint and then FOLLOW UP on it thing...He was a street cop then internal affairs - told some interesting stories of how assholes got away with a LOT until the complaint reports started coming in.

I think I might have had a Dirty Harry type jerk get fired last year.
...he was in so much trouble prior to me, he was relegated to 'traffic waver' at the airport.

Must have thought I was someone else because every time I saw him he'd go out of his way to hassle me. I go to the airport quite a bit - it was getting pretty ridiculous.

Threatening comments, ordering only ME to move my car and drive completely around the airport and go through again, not let me wait like the 50 other cars. He even went so far as to reach into my car and put his hand on my neck...:o:S

I documented it in writing and with a GoPro...sent a letter with a video card & next time I saw him he was working TSA security at the airport...no badge, no gun.

Go ahead - MAKE my day! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

***Or . . . they realized she was fucked up and if they signed anything going along with her they could potentially be held accountable.

I sent J-S this in a PM...but WTF, why not post it too...:)

IF you have her name and what agency she works for - you need to compose a letter of complaint to her supervisor asap.

The letter should be calmly written, recalling every fact of the encounter - day, time , road conditions, traffic conditions, exactly where it all happened. List the make, model, year, plate etc. whatever you can come up with...

Explain the aggressive rude behavior, - the careless driving, the hand flip off...everything.

explain she didn't initially identify herself as a LEO...(and given the slurred speech & bloodshot eyes you didn't believe her when she did. :ph34r:)

~ ~ Believe it or not - a letter sent like that has tremendous effect.

It gets put in her file & if she's as nuts as you describe, it wouldn't be the first letter there (hopefully)

Get YOUR letter in before any tickets come (if any do)

There ARE a lotta bad cops out there - this is about the only effective recourse a civilian has...use it.

If/when enough complaints are filed - good chance out the door they go.

*A retired cop teaching the CCW class I took a couple years ago, went through the whole file a complaint and then FOLLOW UP on it thing...He was a street cop then internal affairs - told some interesting stories of how assholes got away with a LOT until the complaint reports started coming in.

I think I might have had a Dirty Harry type jerk get fired last year.
...he was in so much trouble prior to me, he was relegated to 'traffic waver' at the airport.

Must have thought I was someone else because every time I saw him he'd go out of his way to hassle me. I go to the airport quite a bit - it was getting pretty ridiculous.

Threatening comments, ordering only ME to move my car and drive completely around the airport and go through again, not let me wait like the 50 other cars. He even went so far as to reach into my car and put his hand on my neck...:o:S

I documented it in writing and with a GoPro...sent a letter with a video card & next time I saw him he was working TSA security at the airport...no badge, no gun.

Go ahead - MAKE my day! B|

Good post/PM

Twardo pointed out that my girlfriend that was in the car will be my witness when I file a complaint/account of what happened tomorrow or Monday.

My point about calling in a hit and run to 911 when evidence shows otherwise will be documented, along with the inappropriate behavior while driving.

I don't know if filing a statement will exasperate the issue of her issuing me tickets, if she can legally. So be bullshit right? At least if she's a previous or future problem I can add to her failure as a state police officer and save someone else the annoyance of her abuse.

Amazon

We as a people place great power in the hands of our LEO. When officers like this break our trust it harms every last American.

Important words to remember. Officer, am I being detained, or am I free to go[:/][:/]

When I asked if I can take pictures of her car of the damage he said "No, I can't make her stay here for you to take pictures of her vehicle. If she decides to leave I can't make her come back for you to take pictures. She's free to leave at anytime"

I asked if I was free to leave too he said I was being detained for an investigation.

I have that part of the incident on video.

Edit: I also video taped the side of my car that would of been hit while the officer was standing there clearly showing not a scratch, dent or any paint from her vehicle.

I don't know if filing a statement will exasperate the issue of her issuing me tickets, if she can legally

That's why I'd recommend getting YOUR story there asap - if/when it comes down to it, her 'later arriving' tickets could be argued as retribution against you, in court. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Dude, I've read many of your posts(even prior to your name change) ...crazy shit just happens to us. I've never really understood it, but learned God is just looking out for us.

All of these incidents change our path dramatically...you just have to trust me that it's for the better good. You'll see...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

tonyhays

but learned God is just looking out for us.

Yep, sure is. Except for this kid. He's fucked.

Do you really think that it was impossible for humanity to provide his needs?

The local grocery store was recently selling corn...4 for $3. No body bought it, so they threw it all in the trash.

God blames us...not the other way around.

If you ever really understood the Bible, you would see that it shows us for who we really are...

Revelation 3:17
For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked.

I'm sorry that it's so hard for you people to see that...

Unless New Jersey is way different than other jurisdictions- I would not worry about receiving tickets from her for several reasons. 1) Her claims have not been substantiated by the other officers on scene; 2) If ticket(s) were in order, the other officers should have issued them; 3) She was a 'witness' to the 'offense'- in general, she should remain a witness and not write any paper on it; and 4) If she appears, she will questioned by you or your attorney about her drving behavior- In a lot of places, flippong off other drivers is now considered "aggressive drving"- a part of the road rage scenarios. Being an officer, she shuld not have been driving in that manner, at all- let alone telling responders she was a cop on top of it.
Good luck- If you get tickets, contest them, and take pleasure in beating them and embarassing someone who should know better.

Never said nor implied that. I was providing an image that refutes the argument that "...God is just looking out for us" comment.

Au contraire...I'm quite aware of how wretched the human race is.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

tonyhays

Never said nor implied that.

You're disingenuous...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMWgE1GFp0M

tonyhays

I was providing an image that refutes the argument that "...God is just looking out for us" comment.

Well, given that the "argument" was essentially about negative life experiences, I'd say you missed the point...

airtwardo

Revelation 3:17
For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked.

http://youtu.be/x1iV24hL8Rk?t=8s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4AtBBVZ73U

tonyhays

You're disingenuous...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMWgE1GFp0M

No, pretty sure my meaning was clear.

Fine then, you exploited another starving black kid - how original...