JohnnyMarko

Minimum Wage

weekender

"Another point...If a company is making ridiculous profits and not paying their employees accordingly, why should the government have to offset the companies greediness with housing supplements and food assistance programs?"

the purpose of a company is to make a profit for its shareholders not to provide pay for its employee. people agree to provide labor for a wage. how much the company makes is not relevant to the employees wages. many people feel their pay should be connected to the companies profits, obviously you are one, but its not how it works. when you accept a job you agree to work for a particular wage. unless your employee agree's to share the profits with you then its not a factor. do you feel an employee should share in the companies loses? im sure you do not but it would only be fair if they feel obligated to share the profits.

If MCD's employees do not want to work for their wage, they are free to leave. pretty simple. if you deserve 15 bucks an hour then certainly you can earn it elsewhere.

Thinking the way many on here think the company should raise pay when profit is higher never seem to want fairness. Under that thinking the pay should go down when profits go down, try selling that to the "Fairness" group of entitled crybabies.

Personally, the one I have the most trouble with is the idea that higher wages lead to increased unemployment. It all sounds logical, especially with regard to the to uneducated, less efficient workers, but there are so many variables and things aren't always as the seem. There are so many studies, and they all draw different conclusions...which leads us back to the other idea expressed in this thread that people are just going to align themselves with whatever studies that support their personal ideologies best...

SC has once again failed to solve the worlds problems...I award us no points, and may God have mercy on our souls.

The raising of minimum wage may or may not increase unemployment, but it will increase poverty. Poverty is based on a figure from the government. When the impact of the increase labor costs raise the prices of goods, all the people above the poverty level now (those making above min wage up to $15 hr) will now be moved into poverty. You can not reduce poverty by making more people become part of poverty.

>Thinking the way many on here think the company should raise pay when profit is
>higher never seem to want fairness. Under that thinking the pay should go down
>when profits go down

Yes, and that is what currently happens. (To be more accurate real pay goes down, implemented by not giving anyone any raises - thus reducing the value of their pay due to inflation.)

marks2065

Poverty is based on a figure from the government. When the impact of the increase labor costs raise the prices of goods, all the people above the poverty level now (those making above min wage up to $15 hr) will now be moved into poverty. You can not reduce poverty by making more people become part of poverty.

silly man -

If poverty is DEFINED as the bottom 15% of income earners, then all we need to do is pull up everybody in the bottom 15% up above 16%......
Just like know, we have nearly 95% of students are above average. we should just use that logic and methods and all will be fixed.

;)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

***Poverty is based on a figure from the government. When the impact of the increase labor costs raise the prices of goods, all the people above the poverty level now (those making above min wage up to $15 hr) will now be moved into poverty. You can not reduce poverty by making more people become part of poverty.

silly man -

If poverty is DEFINED as the bottom 15% of income earners, then all we need to do is pull up everybody in the bottom 15% up above 16%......
Just like know, we have nearly 95% of students are above average. we should just use that logic and methods and all will be fixed.

;)

I guess you did not understand what was wrote. reread and get back to me.

marks2065

******Poverty is based on a figure from the government. When the impact of the increase labor costs raise the prices of goods, all the people above the poverty level now (those making above min wage up to $15 hr) will now be moved into poverty. You can not reduce poverty by making more people become part of poverty.

silly man -

;)

Don't hold your breath.:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

marks2065

When the impact of the increase labor costs raise the prices of goods, all the people above the poverty level now (those making above min wage up to $15 hr) will now be moved into poverty. You can not reduce poverty by making more people become part of poverty.

For the most part, minimum wage hasn't really changed much in the last 5 years, yet prices continue to rise. The Mcdonalds "dollar" menu is now up to $1.39...Even if wages decreased, something tells that in 5 more years, the dollar menu will be $2...the problem isn't minimum wage.

Overall, American wages and the poverty rate have basically "flat-lined" since the seventies, yet productivity continues to rise and profits continue to soar...The only real dramatic change was in the tax rates/laws for corporations/wealthy (well, that and the quality of our toys)

We have kept up by adding women to the workforce and living off home equity...now we're out of options. I would say that it's only a matter of time before U.S economics/capitalism fixed the problem for itself, (just as it has in the past) but with globalization, (which caused wages to flat-line in the first place) I'm less optimistic. The world doesn't play by the same rules as the U.S...and corporations take advantage of that - allowing them to suck up all the profits for themselves and making investments for personal gain alone, while the rest of the world slowly suffocates...

Edit:
...and yes. It's our spending habits as well. It's troubling to see a family making 50-80k still living pay check to pay check....but at least it's still being pumped back into the economy/society...or is it?;)
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

turtlespeed

*********Poverty is based on a figure from the government. When the impact of the increase labor costs raise the prices of goods, all the people above the poverty level now (those making above min wage up to $15 hr) will now be moved into poverty. You can not reduce poverty by making more people become part of poverty.

silly man -

;)

Don't hold your breath.:|

I know, I never give the liberals on here that much credit to actually read something as it meant. they usually grade the paper and change the meaning of what was said because a punctuation was missed.

billvon

>Why do you have to be such a lockstep liberal Bill?

Meanwhile I've apparently become a conservative . . .

It seems as tho you always have been with regard to economics:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3480378;search_string=Economic%20Left;#3480378
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

marks2065

******Poverty is based on a figure from the government. When the impact of the increase labor costs raise the prices of goods, all the people above the poverty level now (those making above min wage up to $15 hr) will now be moved into poverty. You can not reduce poverty by making more people become part of poverty.

silly man -

;)

I suggest you look up the words "wry", "sarcasm", "cynicism", "smiley faces" and "humor" and then reread and get back to me first.

edit: on reading further. You should add "liberal" "libertarian" and maybe review math, statistics, quartiles, and percentages. enjoy

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

*********Poverty is based on a figure from the government. When the impact of the increase labor costs raise the prices of goods, all the people above the poverty level now (those making above min wage up to $15 hr) will now be moved into poverty. You can not reduce poverty by making more people become part of poverty.

silly man -

;)

I suggest you look up the words "wry", "sarcasm", "cynicism", "smiley faces" and "humor" and then reread and get back to me first.

edit: on reading further. You should add "liberal" "libertarian" and maybe review math, statistics, quartiles, and percentages. enjoy

Sorry I did not see the wink.

marks2065

***I suggest you look up the words "wry", "sarcasm", "cynicism", "smiley faces" and "humor" and then reread and get back to me first.

Sorry I did not see the wink.

c'mon, I was practicing being all snarky.. don't you want to pointlessly bicker?