GD64

Obama Calls For Helmet Laws

http://www.mrf.org

I guess telling us what we should drive, eat, and now what we should wear is the job of government ///

Interesting how it's always some poll tested rainbows and unicorn name......The Grow America Act.

GD64

http://www.mrf.org

I guess telling us what we should drive, eat, and now what we should wear is the job of government ///

Interesting how it's always some poll tested rainbows and unicorn name......The Grow America Act.

Just another distraction
Same for the stupidly names wage bs
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Squeak

Good, its about time.

I've always called riders who choose not to wear helmets dumbasses, but in the land of the FREE, they should choose whats right for THEMSELVES. That's the thing about freedom. But you can go right ahead and let everyone else choose whats best for you, and soon enough you'll be wearing depends waiting for the gubment worker to come change them out. Seriously are all australians raging vaginas or do any of you actually have a pair?

regulator

Seriously are all australians raging vaginas or do any of you actually have a pair?

Your avatar shows a picture of a grown male, yet your posts seem to be written in the vernacular of a 10yr old boy. Do Mummy & Daddy know you're using the computer all on your own?
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Not to piss on your ODS circle jerk, but that report is about CDC recommendations of means to reduce preventable injuries associated with motorcycle use. Not a word about Obama.

Is anybody surprised that an agency charged with the prevention of disease, injury, disability, and death would suggest that maybe people should wear a helmet? I mean, duh!

If you believe that Obama writes, or personally reads and approves, every report and recommendation written by every agency and person in the employment of the federal government, then perhaps you also believe that when any pilot anywhere in US airspace talks to air traffic control, they are really talking to Obama. Pretty amazing how one guy can be in every control tower, every government office, be every ranger in every national park and monument, and on and on, all at the same time.

It's my anecdotal observation that there's a pretty good correlation between not wearing a helmet and not having health insurance. It's surprising how many people rant and rave about the government, yet expect the government to pick up their medical and long-term disability costs. Don't wear a helmet? Fine, your choice. But that choice should include a requirement that you make provision for medical bills, and the long term disability that often follows a serious head injury.

Don

Sorry......I thought Bigun's link was the same as a member email I received this morning (same header).

To answer your question though, click on Bigun's link and then click "More News From DC" and it is the first link in red. This organization has been on the leading edge of MC advocacy for along time.

Again apologies to you and all, for the extra sourcing that I should have done before posting.

Again apologies to you and all, for the extra sourcing that I should have done before posting.

I'm sure we've all been guilty of that at one time or another. I'm sorry to have been so harsh, I'm just so used to the "Obama made it rain on my boogie" mentality that is so prevalent here.

The motorcycle helmet issue is interesting, though, in that it's a pretty good metaphor for the freedom vs personal/taxpayer responsibility issue. I skydive (well, I'm getting back to it this summer), but I have health insurance and life insurance that covers it, and I pay for long-term disability, so my family is as insulated as I can manage against economic disaster should anything truly bad happen. I also use a RSL and an AAD, and always wear a helmet (Pro-Teck, nerdy but supposedly the best protection against impact to the head). The same applied when I rode a motorcycle, and I always wore a full-face helmet. In my car I always wear a seat belt. I don't see any great value (for me) in deliberately avoiding safety devices that could make the difference between eventual recovery and permanent disability.

What do we do about people who choose to forgo using safety devices, increasing their risk, yet also expect that the government (Medicaid, Social Security disability) will take care of them should catastrophe strike, and refuse to pay for insurance?

Don

No problem GeorgiaDon. I'm from a large family and in business so skin is fairly thick :D

You make some good points which I understand. I fall into that "you are responsible for yourself, as well not causing injury to others camp". I'm of the opinion that there is tremendous overreach in government. I think that hurts the economy and the mindset of some Americans. I better stop, I'm swerving O/T.

regulator

***Good, its about time.

I've always called riders who choose not to wear helmets dumbasses, but in the land of the FREE, they should choose whats right for THEMSELVES. That's the thing about freedom. But you can go right ahead and let everyone else choose whats best for you, and soon enough you'll be wearing depends waiting for the gubment worker to come change them out. Seriously are all australians raging vaginas or do any of you actually have a pair?

How do you feel about drug use? Should a grownup be allowed to ingest any chemicals they want to?
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

"......do any of you actually have a pair?"

In a very bad place along time ago, I was attached to a Aussie merc unit. They were the most fun, in spite of the situation. On our first encounter they introduced me to Fosters beer, and said (in my butchered Crocodile Dundee
voice) "now that's a beer"........although the beer was 90 degrees or so it was one of many and tasted great, (I'd never seen the large cans before either) :D

They definitely "had a pair"!!

regulator

***Good, its about time.

35 years riding experience here.
You DON'T have the right to smear your face all over the public roads, nor do you have the right to traumatise, LEOs or EMTs with your open cramium splilled over the pavment, All because YOU think you live in a fantasy land called "the home of the free".
These sorts of law are not to protectl you theyre to protect decent folk from the likes of idiots who think its cool to run about in traffic lid free
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

regulator

***Good, its about time.

Hospital ER nurses call them organ donors
But
I think it is their choice......
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

GeorgiaDon

I'm sure we've all been guilty of that at one time or another. I'm sorry to have been so harsh, I'm just so used to the "Obama made it rain on my boogie" mentality that is so prevalent here.

The motorcycle helmet issue is interesting, though, in that it's a pretty good metaphor for the freedom vs personal/taxpayer responsibility issue. I skydive (well, I'm getting back to it this summer), but I have health insurance and life insurance that covers it, and I pay for long-term disability, so my family is as insulated as I can manage against economic disaster should anything truly bad happen. I also use a RSL and an AAD, and always wear a helmet (Pro-Teck, nerdy but supposedly the best protection against impact to the head). The same applied when I rode a motorcycle, and I always wore a full-face helmet. In my car I always wear a seat belt. I don't see any great value (for me) in deliberately avoiding safety devices that could make the difference between eventual recovery and permanent disability.

What do we do about people who choose to forgo using safety devices, increasing their risk, yet also expect that the government (Medicaid, Social Security disability) will take care of them should catastrophe strike, and refuse to pay for insurance?

Don

This all reminds me of something our DZO told a first jump student when the student asked; "Why do you guys wear helmets?" The DZO responded with; "It helps to make cleaning-up the mess easier in the event of impact with the ground!"
Also, I watched a girl student land in high winds (30+) and get dragged across the ground. The wind kicked-up after the load bailed. In the process of being dragged, her head hit a cement culvert that ran under the runway. When she got back to the hangar, I noticed her ProTec helmet was split from the impact with the culvert. The impact knocked her a little loopy but she was O.K.

Chuck

Squeak

Good, its about time.

They should come up with legislature that requires skydivers to wear a full face helmet as well. along with a mandatory RSL and Skyhook.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

***Good, its about time.

They should come up with legislature that requires skydivers to wear a full face helmet as well. along with a mandatory RSL and Skyhook.

And equipped with a giant airbag that completely engulfs the rider if he comes off the seat or something. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Arvoitus

How do you feel about drug use? Should a grownup be allowed to ingest any chemicals they want to?

Sure, why not? An adult should be allowed to do whatever they choose to do so long as their actions do not put innocent persons in harms' way. The way I see it - let Darwin take care of them and God will sort it out. I don't think there should be seatbelt or helmet laws for the operator of any vehicle. But passengers should be required to wear helmets and seatbelts.

BillyVance

******Good, its about time.

And equipped with a giant airbag that completely engulfs the rider if he comes off the seat or something. :P

Just wear a Zorb

Amazon

*********Good, its about time.

Just wear a Zorb

How do you pull? Or do you need to?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

************Good, its about time.

Just wear a Zorb

How do you pull? Or do you need to?

Doesn't protect all that well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLNGsz6eu70
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

When someone can provide proof of financial responsibility for long term medial care for the rest of their life, is when I'll agree it's their choice to wear or not to wear a helmet.

It seems that some think the financial cost of personal freedom should be provided by the tax payer.