regulator

Do you really think police are to protect and serve?

Yea the powers that be, not the citizens. When the shit hits the fan we have seen who they side with, whom ever is signing their pay checks.

Most cops in small towns are ass holes and hypocrites there to give tickets and harass the very people who pay their salaries.

Not to mention the cronyism that exists in every small town police department.

Yes not all but when they don't do anything to fix the problem there all shit. When they cover up after there guilty coworkers they are just as guilty.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Sure - when they get off of the manufacturing line, every single one, without any exception, is exactly like the worst examples you've encountered in your life

ya know, maybe they should hire and train people from the general population and then maybe cops will be motivated and varied just like real humans

it's worth a shot

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

regular humans know they have no right to question arrest kidnap and murder others. When they do they usually get fucked or if you shoot them its not a big deal.

Cops get a lot of privileges, that comes with higher standards then the local meth head.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

>regular humans know they have no right to question arrest kidnap and murder others.

Regular cops also know they have no right to kidnap or murder people.

There are exceptions to both, of course. Charles Manson, Randy Trent Harrison and Ted Kaczynski come to mind.

billvon

> Do you really think police are to protect and serve?

Most are.

And one day the liberals will stop blindly supporting the police unions that keep the rest on the payroll.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

billvon

>And one day the liberals will stop blindly supporting the police unions that
>keep the rest on the payroll.

And one day perhaps conservatives will stop supporting convicted murderers who tried to hide behind a badge.

It's the union paid lawyers that do that.

But every time the police unions are in trouble they get their liberal base to march for them...

and every time a cop shoots a kid, probably one that was marching for them just a couple days prior, all of the sudden the public interests take a back seat. "He's a good guy that was in a difficult situation...."

News Flash: Not everyone has the common sense or character required to be a cop. Not to mention what the years of dealing with the less than desirables of the public can do to one's mental health.

So now the question becomes what is more important, saving one guys pension or upholding the public trust?
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

labrys

We'll... If I was in a bad situation and I had to chose between a random stranger or a police officer for help, I'd opt for the police officer. What would you do?

I would not call either one. I flee bad situations as best I can. Taking a bad situation and interjecting a cop into it is just about guaranteed to make it worse.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I've had and have fairly close contact with LEOs. I believe the majority see their jobs as service oriented. However, I do not put much confidence in their ability to protect. When you call 911 they usually arrive in time to investigate the situation.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Andy9o8

***We'll... If I was in a bad situation and I had to chose between a random stranger or a police officer for help, I'd opt for the police officer. What would you do?

Call a redneck!

In my area that would be the second phone call. I am thankful we have a real good redneck Christian sheriff. He would likely say, "Load as many magazines as possible and call your neighbors. I'm on my way."
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Police are only effective at attempting to deter crime by presence, and investigate and gather information about crimes and the people involved and forward that information to the courts.

They cant be everywhere to stop all crimes, and they are humans which have flaws not robots, so shootings like this happen.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

The news report says the suspect engaged with a large pair of scissors. Sooo...the suspect was armed with weapon and a weapon I might add that can kill.

Stun gun had no effect? Suspect on drugs or maybe having a mental health crisis that amped him up?

When the suspect was shot, was the shooting the result of the suspect re-engaged the cops with a weapon and threatened their life? If so, shooting may be justified. If not, it's a problem.

RonD1120

******We'll... If I was in a bad situation and I had to chose between a random stranger or a police officer for help, I'd opt for the police officer. What would you do?

Call a redneck!

In my area that would be the second phone call. I am thankful we have a real good redneck Christian sheriff. He would likely say, "Load as many magazines as possible and call your neighbors. I'm on my way."

Are you becoming a "Community Organizer" now?;):ph34r:

SkyDekker

Why would the US even need cops. Isn't an armed populace all polite and peaceful and stuff?

For the same reason that gun-free Canada has Dudley Do-Right - even generally peaceful people have their Snidely Whiplashes.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

lawrocket

***Why would the US even need cops. Isn't an armed populace all polite and peaceful and stuff?

For the same reason that gun-free Canada has Dudley Do-Right - even generally peaceful people have their Snidely Whiplashes.

Not at all...we have them cause we don't have any right to protect ourselves. Actually, I think it is law that we have to let ourselves be killed.

>and every time a cop shoots a kid, probably one that was marching for them just
>a couple days prior, all of the sudden the public interests take a back seat. "He's a
>good guy that was in a difficult situation...."

And if a border patrol agent shoots a kid, conservatives suddenly decide that he's a poor unrecognized hero being unfairly targeted by the system.

Yep.

>So now the question becomes what is more important, saving one guys
>pension or upholding the public trust?

Excellent question. Answer - upholding the public trust, which most people who carry badges do.

Boomerdog

When the suspect was shot, was the shooting the result of the suspect re-engaged the cops with a weapon and threatened their life? If so, shooting may be justified. If not, it's a problem.

From the video in the article it appears the suspect gets out of his car and walks away from the officers and their patrol cars towards a long set of stairs that leads down to the beach. Around the time he gets near the top of the stairs the police apparently fire a couple rubber rounds at him (that is obscured in the video though) At that point he starts running down the stairs. When he gets to the bottom of the stairs he gets shot several times from officers out of frame and goes down. No one is in view of the camera at the bottom of the stairs besides the suspect up to the point where he is shot up and for over a minute afterwords so it's impossible to tell from how far away he was shot. > 10-15 ft though and it doesn't look like he saw them until after he went down.

The story from the cops who shot him was that they assumed the beanbag shots were the suspect shooting at people and so they shot him on sight.