kallend

Can the death penalty get any more f'ed up?

Time to end the farce once and for all. All the death penalty does is appeal to (some) people's worst impulses.

PiLFy

***Bring back the firing squad. The bullet manufacturer is ATK.

That ends all the argument over the fluids currently being used.

Let's get on with it.

I prefer these crowd pleasers: http://www.jbropesupply.com/

QED.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

Time to end the farce once and for all. All the death penalty does is appeal to (some) people's worst impulses.

******Bring back the firing squad. The bullet manufacturer is ATK.

That ends all the argument over the fluids currently being used.

Let's get on with it.

I prefer these crowd pleasers: http://www.jbropesupply.com/

QED.

Not quite. I need a volunteer. An arrogant Academic would do nicely...

The death penalty could get far more fucked up - don't invite it. Consider the example of the Chinese billing the family for the bullet (is it true?)

But this example you talk about is really a side show. It's an interesting backdoor to prevent executions from occurring while ignoring the big picture problems around capital punishment. I'd say it's on par with getting a non guilty verdict because a judge signed a search order with a red ink pen, and thus the evidence had to be suppressed.

No argument is being made that these people are not guilty. It's only a question of whether the newest chemicals used could be considered cruel, which frankly seems unlikely, particular in comparison to the methods used just 10 years ago.

I look at it this way:

The state can and does wrongfully (and knowingly!) prosecute and get convictions of persons not guilty of the crime they are on trial for.

The state cannot reverse the death penalty after it has been applied.

Supporting the death penalty is thus de facto support for non-defensive homicide.

I cannot support non-defensive homicide, thus I cannot support the death penalty. I'm not willing to be wrongly murdered for our shitty, fucked up system, and it would be ridiculous to expect anyone else to.
cavete terrae.

kelpdiver

No argument is being made that these people are not guilty. It's only a question of whether the newest chemicals used could be considered cruel...

No one argues that a bullet to the head isn't instantaneously lethal and painless to the recipient.

normiss

Supermax type prisons keep those idiots in a single cell.
Pretty low chance of having any contact with another prisoner.

I'm good with that, unless it was self defense.
:P

But only if they provide a good menu with liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti for life. (Someone has to eat all that liver and other innards)

Boogers

***No argument is being made that these people are not guilty. It's only a question of whether the newest chemicals used could be considered cruel...

No one argues that a bullet to the head isn't instantaneously lethal and painless to the recipient.

since people have survived shooting themselves in the head, I think I have to argue that. And how can you tell it's painless? Either way, you needlessly force a closed casket funeral, which seems like you're straying towards dancing on the body.

(that said, if a inmate asks for the firing squad as practiced in Utah in the past, I have no objections. I believe they shoot for the chest, however)

kelpdiver

(that said, if a inmate asks for the firing squad as practiced in Utah in the past, I have no objections. I believe they shoot for the chest, however)

chest vs head? sounds much more painful for the criminal. And I don't see how a closed or open casket has anything to do with the stock 'torture/vengeance meme'....

I'm a big fan of 'death by snu-snu'

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Mr. Lockett received the death penalty for the 1999 kidnapping, rape and murder of a 19-year-old woman and Mr. Warner for the 1997 murder and rape of an 11-month-old girl.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

rehmwa

chest vs head? sounds much more painful for the criminal. And I don't see how a closed or open casket has anything to do with the stock 'torture/vengeance meme'....

We probably would all agree that death by quartering would violate the 8th. I think asserting that an execution method that disfigures the body is also a violation is a reasonable argument to make, even if not all would agree. The sentence is death, not making all that knew him as uncomfortable as possible.

BIGUN

Mr. Lockett received the death penalty for the 1999 kidnapping, rape and murder of a 19-year-old woman and Mr. Warner for the 1997 murder and rape of an 11-month-old girl.

...and? Killing people for "justice" doesn't revive or un-rape their victims. It's action based on emotion, which is rarely a good idea.
cavete terrae.

kelpdiver

We probably would all agree that death by quartering would violate the 8th. I think asserting that an execution method that disfigures the body is also a violation is a reasonable argument to make, even if not all would agree. The sentence is death, not making all that knew him as uncomfortable as possible.

1. Morticians can do some amazing work.
2. Think that how they died and why would make for an uncomfortable funeral, not the condition of the body.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

grue

***I 95% agree. But what should be done with prisoners who kill?

Stop putting them in contact with people, I suppose.

But the bleeding hearts would consider that "cruel and unusual punishment" to deprive them of social contact with others.

kelpdiver

you needlessly force a closed casket funeral, which seems like you're straying towards dancing on the body.

It wasn't needless - it was the carrying out of justice.

The constitution doesn't guarantee you a pretty open-casket funeral. Do you want the state to provide them with lots of wreaths of flowers too? A closed pine box and an unmarked grave is fine with me.

A firing squad of multiple police marksmen, all aiming for the head, is going to accomplish the task very effectively. They can shoot from a bench rest if they want.

Boogers

******I 95% agree. But what should be done with prisoners who kill?

But the bleeding hearts would consider that "cruel and unusual punishment" to deprive them of social contact with others.

It's entirely possible to put someone in social contact without allowing physical contact
cavete terrae.

grue

*********I 95% agree. But what should be done with prisoners who kill?

It's entirely possible to put someone in social contact without allowing physical contactAgreed.
To me, being locked up forever, knowing I have 0 chance of any measure of control over my own life, knowing I'll never again enjoy any human contact, would be a punishment far worse than death.

Don

Boogers

***you needlessly force a closed casket funeral, which seems like you're straying towards dancing on the body.

It wasn't needless - it was the carrying out of justice.

That's you speaking emotionally again.

You can execute a person without tearing up the body. It is not necessary (the corresponding word to needless).

normiss

Supermax type prisons keep those idiots in a single cell.
Pretty low chance of having any contact with another prisoner.

It also wouldn't be the most difficult thing in the universe to design a prison wherein prisoners can see and talk to each other if they choose, but not touch or attack, while also affording some level of privacy if they choose.
cavete terrae.