azdiver

opinions on doing a mr bill stunt

she has 45 jumps and she would be the hanger, not sure how many jumps the deployer has but he has been jumping for about 15 years

Tell her to wait a bit longer.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

she has 45 jumps and she would be the hanger, not sure how many jumps the deployer has but he has been jumping for about 15 years

Post a picture and we'll be able to tell you whether he's inviting her because she's a natural talent with full cognizance of the situation.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

>she has 45 jumps and she would be the hanger, not sure how many jumps
>the deployer has but he has been jumping for about 15 years

OK, that sounds like a bad idea then. If they really want to do it I'd suggest that they both do several jumps that do NOT result in deployments - just exit, have her fall off, then he deploys. Make sure he can stay stable for a few seconds, long enough to deploy. Then try it in a hanging harness and make sure she has the strength to hang on. If all that works, then you might consider doing it "for real." There's a lot to go wrong.

Post a picture and we'll be able to tell you whether he's inviting her because she's a natural talent with full cognizance of the situation.

Yeah, I wonder if she is getting invited due to hotness as well.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Yeah, I wonder if she is getting invited due to hotness as well.

That...was...the...joke... :P
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Consider how you would deal with a horseshoe attached to the _other_ guy.

:DTry once to shake him off. Then try twice to shake him off. You might try pointing at him. If all else fails, pull his reserve??
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Consider how you would deal with a horseshoe attached to the _other_ guy.

Try once to shake him off. Then try twice to shake him off. You might try pointing at him. If all else fails, pull his reserve??

Fire the reserve? Into the mess?

Either we are having communication problems or you are not quite clear as to how to correctly deal with a horseshore malfunction.

Hell, I am confused by this one, exactly what is meant by a horseshoe attached to the other guy? everything is out but the PC is connected to the other persons body?

In my previous post I said they can be fun. At 45 jumps the risks outweigh the gains. She should get some more experience first.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

> exactly what is meant by a horseshoe attached to the other guy?

You exit spinning (which is very common on people's first Mr. Bill exits) Sluggo throws and the PC wraps around Bill's ankle. Or the PC clears, but as the bag pays the lines out around the two jumpers, a brake line snags under the other jumper's reserve flap. (Saw both of those happen; fortunately they both cleared.)

> exactly what is meant by a horseshoe attached to the other guy?

You exit spinning (which is very common on people's first Mr. Bill exits) Sluggo throws and the PC wraps around Bill's ankle. Or the PC clears, but as the bag pays the lines out around the two jumpers, a brake line snags under the other jumper's reserve flap. (Saw both of those happen; fortunately they both cleared.)

Makes the whole Mr. Bill stunt sound even more unappealing.

Isn't skydiving thrilling enough without doing stupid shit?

Wuffos often think jumping out of an airplane is stupid shit.

I agree with you diablo, we can't knock something because we don't approve of it or think its dangerous. That would only make us Wuffo's . . . but lets be serious here people . . .45 jumps?? This girl barely knows how to fly solo never mind being attached to someone for deployment. This whole thread is absurd . . . I can't believe we're even talking about this. Where the hell is the DZ safety rep. throughout all of this planning ?? Oh let me guess, he's the one asking here to do it ??

Ever heard of learning to crawl before you run a 100m dash ?? I think it applies here . . .
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

some skydivers i jump with want my sister to do a mr bill with them incase u dont know what it is they plan to exit at 13k feet one person hangs on to the harness of the other person as they exit as soon as they are clear of the plane one pops there chute while the other hangs on, then the second person climbs up the persons and gets on their shoulders then jumps off. sounds simple but i can imagine all the possibiliteis of something going wrong and someone get killed

If your profile numbers are accurate, you and your sister have about the same level of experience. Why are they asking her instead of you?

Yep... it's most likely the fact that she's female (unless you don't shower very often, which might also explain why they don't want you hanging off them:D.) Your sister's going to have to learn early on that often, women get asked on jumps that are over their head. Not that it doesn't happen to men, too, but it does seem to be more common with women. She's going to have to develop her own sense of what she's comfortable with and have the confidence to say no when people are asking her to do something she's not comfortable with.

You're not always going to be around to keep an eye on her, and unless she can build that sense of confidence on her own, she's setting herself up to be influenced by people rather than developing her own instincts.

As far as I'm concerned, learning to say "no" or call bullshit in the face of peer pressure is one of the best skills you can learn in this sport. Only you know what your personal risk threshold is, and it can change from day to day. There are always going to be people pressuring you to do things you're not comfortable with, and it's important to learn when people are just encouraging you to stretch a little (which can be a good thing) and when they're trying to shame you into doing something you're not comfortable with (which can be a bad thing). There are days that I will say "no" to a jump that wouldn't even faze me on another day.

Now, for all I know, your sister may have already told these guys to take a hike because she's smart enough to avoid a Mr. Bill at this point in her skydiving career and you may just be playing overly protective brother. But in case you're not, and in case she's still thinking about it... that's my 2 cents of advice.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

she has 45 jumps and she would be the hanger,

No way. Mr. Bills are OK, with proper equip and prep., but not at that experience level.

Kevin

Mr. Bill's are physicly demanding. You have to be in pretty good shape to pull one off without flaws. It depends on the airplane your doing it from. I think the c-182 was pretty easy.

heres my second I was the hanger. Don't worry I had a really good grip... on his cutaway handle:ohttp://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=4118
Na' Cho' Cheese

No way. Mr. Bills are OK, with proper equip and prep., but not at that experience level.

Just want to know what experience level may be considered as 'safe enough' for Mr. Bill, in terms of skills and number of jumps?
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

Just want to know what experience level may be considered as 'safe enough' for Mr. Bill, in terms of skills and number of jumps?

That's obviously going to be different for everyone. Certainly, it's not even perfectly right for me to say that 40 jumps is too little. Maybe with the "perfect natural skydiver", who exhibits the skill of hundreds of jumps after only 25 - that person may be OK. But that's not the norn. Who's to say what's enough. Not me. I'm just saying that at 40 jumps, the average jumper does not have the airmanship skills, in my opinion, to do this sort of thing safely.

Kevin
======================
Seasons don't fear the Reaper,
nor do the Wind, the Sun, or the Rain...

Guest 1010
> some skydivers i jump with want my sister

NWFlyer nailed it, here is my version:

Tell them to fuk off, or better yet have your sister tell them to fuk off.

:)

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

the reson they asked her instead of me is more of a size issue me 6ft1 230 her 5ft5 110 and shes alittle better looking to, i think why she thinks it would be ok to do this stunt is their experience level in the sport and shes to quick to trust others, havent quite been able to get her to think completly for herself yet and realize that some people may have allterior motives for jumping with her than just having fun.
light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

Guest 1010

why she thinks it would be ok to do this stunt is their their experience level in the sport

I'm a newb still, but my thought is - she probably feels their confidence due to their experience level, but it is her experience level that counts. Why?

On a Mr. Bill the chances of things going wrong are much higher than on a normal jump, and the malfunctions involving the other jumper and gear may be more complex than expected. She may have to do something to save her and the other jumper, the other jumper might not be able to do anything. Search skydivingmovies.com for Mr. Bill and you'll see some ugly mals.

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

Good God, it's a Mr. Bill, not a blindfolded low pull contest.

...and this is dorkzone.com, not a dropzone filled with real skydivers, hence some of the responses :P

Hi, I am from dorkzone......

Vector III
Main Canopy: Safire 135 ft² (7.22 lbs/ft²)
Reserve Canopy: PD Reserve 126 ft² (7.74 lbs/ft²)
AAD: Cypres
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

As far as I'm concerned, learning to say "no" or call bullshit in the face of peer pressure is one of the best skills you can learn in this sport...

Just in case anyone thinks Krisanne is just spouting off, I assure you that she lives what she preaches...a fairly rare phenomenon as far as I've seen and one to be highly respected.

You would do well to put this into practice in your own lives..not jsut in your skydiving one.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I have tryed 2 Mr bills. Neither of them worked. The second was sketchy to say the least. I still have that image of his bag flying inches from my nose.B| Now does your sister have any experience with bag flying at her face? Because if so then she may just be ready for a mr bill :o

Q. Why do birds sing?
A. Because they dont have to pack when they land