mpohl

Publix is Keeping Closed

Round here, the big supermarkets are open Good Friday and Easter Monday but closed on Sunday. Virtually all the smaller, local shops are closed for the whole weekend but here's the kicker - local byelaws mandate that all the small shops close for a half day on Wednesday afternoon and then they complain that the big supermarkets are putting them out of business.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

rifleman

Round here, the big supermarkets are open Good Friday and Easter Monday but closed on Sunday. Virtually all the smaller, local shops are closed for the whole weekend but here's the kicker - local byelaws mandate that all the small shops close for a half day on Wednesday afternoon and then they complain that the big supermarkets are putting them out of business.

Sounds like some of those Parlementarian/Puritan legacies still survive???

chutem

I and my employees are at work as I type this, all in the name of profit and customer service. Perspective employees are told to expect to work weekends and holidays. We take week days off, it's the nature of the business.

Anyone who has a problem with that can pretty well piss off.

Kind of slow today for Easter with good weather, but the customers that are here are glad we are also.

If you choose to do so? That's fine. It's your call. My beef if for the members of society who are forced to take such jobs at huge, billion dollar+ in revenues companies for either geographic, or other reasons. It's not going to kill the likes of Wally World or large supermarket chains to give their underpaid employees Thanksgiving (for example) off...

PiLFy

***I and my employees are at work as I type this, all in the name of profit and customer service. Perspective employees are told to expect to work weekends and holidays. We take week days off, it's the nature of the business.

Anyone who has a problem with that can pretty well piss off.

Kind of slow today for Easter with good weather, but the customers that are here are glad we are also.

If you choose to do so? That's fine. It's your call. My beef if for the members of society who are forced to take such jobs at huge, billion dollar+ in revenues companies for either geographic, or other reasons. It's not going to kill the likes of Wally World or large supermarket chains to give their underpaid employees Thanksgiving (for example) off...

At what point would my company be large enough that my employees taking a job requiring holiday work becomes a beef for you?

It's not going to kill the likes of Wally World or large supermarket chains to give their underpaid employees Thanksgiving (for example) off...

Can't disagree with that... was Publix *paying* the people they denied work to for the holiday? If so, great. If not, they may have just been taking advantage of a holiday to cut hours for people who really need the hours.

Was it a paid holiday?
Owned by Remi #?

"At what point would my company be large enough that my employees taking a job requiring holiday work becomes a beef for you?"

Dunno. I never really gave it a thought. I haven't worked for a small outfit since I as a kid. My sentiment in this is aimed at the large corporations w/very high revenues. They tend to hire a lot of folks w/very few options, & abuse them.

PiLFy

My sentiment in this is aimed at the large corporations w/very high revenues. They tend to hire a lot of folks w/very few options, & abuse them.

As has been pointed out numerous times in this thread, what you consider being taken advantage of, some hourly workers might consider earning a living. You are advocating forcing employees to take off for a holiday that they may or may not believe in. Some of those employees were probably counting on those hours to do things like pay their rent. I am pretty sure Publix didn't give all employees a paid day off. So closing only hurts the hourly employees that need that money. I understand that many Christians, feel that everyone should be forced to obey their holidays, but some people would rather get paid than play with egg laying bunnies.
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

okalb

***My sentiment in this is aimed at the large corporations w/very high revenues. They tend to hire a lot of folks w/very few options, & abuse them.

As has been pointed out numerous times in this thread, what you consider being taken advantage of, some hourly workers might consider earning a living. You are advocating forcing employees to take off for a holiday that they may or may not believe in. Some of those employees were probably counting on those hours to do things like pay their rent. I am pretty sure Publix didn't give all employees a paid day off. So closing only hurts the hourly employees that need that money. I understand that many Christians, feel that everyone should be forced to obey their holidays, but some people would rather get paid than play with egg laying bunnies.

Where have I ever posted that this was to get workers to honor any religious day? It's not about that. Multi-bazzillion dollar companies can pay decent salaries, & provide reasonable days off.

PiLFy

Where have I ever posted that this was to get workers to honor any religious day? It's not about that. Multi-bazzillion dollar companies can pay decent salaries, & provide reasonable days off.

Given that the entire thread is about closing for Easter Sunday, I assumed it had to do with closing for religious holidays. Did Easter stop becoming a religious holiday at some point and nobody told me?
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

Did Easter stop becoming a religious holiday at some point and nobody told me?

It's still becoming a religious holiday and they're almost finished with the conversion. They still have yet to do away with the baskets, eggs and bunnies...but pretty soon Eostre will join the likes of kokopelli as a cool looking tattoo on dimwitted female coffee shop yuppies...:P
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

mpohl

Here in the ATL area, Publix supermarkets are being kept closed on Easter Sunday. To allow their employees to spend time with family.

Contrast that with Kroger or Walmart. Open in the name of business and profit.

I, for one, support Publix, and will not shop at any of their competitors that day. And probably not thereafter either.

Thanks for the update. I'll be sure to shop at Kroger or Walmart which aren't kowtowing to religious extremists.

DrewEckhardt

Here in the ATL area, Publix supermarkets are being kept closed on Easter Sunday. To allow their employees to spend time with family.

Contrast that with Kroger or Walmart. Open in the name of business and profit.

I, for one, support Publix, and will not shop at any of their competitors that day. And probably not thereafter either.

Thanks for the update. I'll be sure to shop at Kroger or Walmart which aren't kowtowing to religious extremists.

One quick question for you -- who owns Publix?

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

It's funny to see someone defending Wally World.
That's a change!
:D

I won't shop there. blech.

I happen to love Publix grocery stores, they're the best around.
Everyone is entitled to a day off.
I didn't complain when they gave me a paid Friday, least I can do is let someone else off on Sunday.

okalb

Given that the entire thread is about closing for Easter Sunday, I assumed it had to do with closing for religious holidays.

different strokes -

small business - likely the owners are honoring their personal religious holiday and shutting down

huge business - likely the board finds it more efficient when everybody takes the same day off and they can then 'holiday' facilities and support groups easily. any holiday will do, Easter just as well as others

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

okalb

***Where have I ever posted that this was to get workers to honor any religious day? It's not about that. Multi-bazzillion dollar companies can pay decent salaries, & provide reasonable days off.

Given that the entire thread is about closing for Easter Sunday, I assumed it had to do with closing for religious holidays. Did Easter stop becoming a religious holiday at some point and nobody told me?

The discussion evolved to all major Holidays & random Sundays. I don't observe any organized religions. Easter doesn't mean anything to me.

quade

***One quick question for you -- who owns Publix?

Wikipedia is just a click away.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publix

Troubling though...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publix#LGBT_Policies

With that in mind you can be pretty certain the owners are all churched up.

Did the whooshing sound hurt your ears?

I knew the answer but wondered if others did; being "churched up" is not the point, rather that it's hard to castigate the owners for taking a day off.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?