Anvilbrother

Keystone pipeline decision delayed

It does not say in your link how many of those spills were human error or pipeline failure. And what age those pipelines that fail were.

Those facts would help in determining if a new pipeline would be good or bad. And what precautions or safety devices should be required.

In my limited experience I cleaned up millions of gallons of petroleum spills at refineries in southern California. They were all but 2 human error. That's a nice way to say they forgot about that railroad car they were filling up with asphalt and they overflowed 30 or 50 thousand gallons on the ground.

The only pipeline we had rupture off of the refinery was along side the Long Beach freeway. And because of the safety features that were in that pipeline less then 10 thousand gallons of JP5 were spilt before it was shut down.

The refinery cleaned it up to EPA's satisfaction and restored the land to caltrans satisfaction wich meant allot of improvements.

So in short I have no doubt pipelines can fail. But I have witnessed a lot more spills by human error then by equipment failure.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

Perhaps Obama is procrastinating on the Keystone Pipeline because he is looking at the 30-year energy picture.
Perhaps Obama is reluctant to sell all of North America's oil reserves to the Asians. China could easily burn through all of Alberta's oil sands in 30 years ... and not even burp. Then the Chinese will led the white bastards freeze in the dark.

OTOH if Obama limits oil exports now, our grandchildren may still have oil remaining in North America 30 years from now.