Boogers

Feds lay siege to Nevada ranch

masterrig

From what I've read on this matter, a special interest group wants the cattle off of BLM land so as to protect some turtle that shares that land.

Chuck

What are you tryiong to say, huh . . . HUH? HUH?

:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

masterrig

From what I've read on this matter, a special interest group wants the cattle off of BLM land so as to protect some turtle that shares that land. To me, those cows and turtles have been co-existing for a long time. Why now, all the fuss. Cows don't eat turtles! Also, a very small number of ranchers graze their cattle on BLM land. Of that number, some are 'hobby ranchers'. They lease or pay fees to graze BLM land. This rancher has been turned-down by two federal courts. I am very much in support of honest ranchers who work hard to make a living but in this case, this 'rancher' sounds like he feels he is 'entitled' to graze his cattle in that area. It pains me to say this but the BLM appears to be in the right.
Ranchers in Western Montana have leased grazing land from the BLM with no problem. Grazing land is being bought-up to amount to millions of acres each year for urban sprawl. BLM lands are a last resort for grazing.

Chuck

Technically the land is owned by the state of Nevada and controlled/maintained by the BLM. Not sure if the state of Nevada has asked the BLM to handle this situation or if the Feds jumped in. There are reports of the confiscated cattle either being killed and buried where they are found, or immediately being sold at auction. Either way, is that destruction of property? Even if he was found guilty isn't evidence/property supposed to be kept around until all appeals are exhausted?

jtiflyer

***From what I've read on this matter, a special interest group wants the cattle off of BLM land so as to protect some turtle that shares that land. To me, those cows and turtles have been co-existing for a long time. Why now, all the fuss. Cows don't eat turtles! Also, a very small number of ranchers graze their cattle on BLM land. Of that number, some are 'hobby ranchers'. They lease or pay fees to graze BLM land. This rancher has been turned-down by two federal courts. I am very much in support of honest ranchers who work hard to make a living but in this case, this 'rancher' sounds like he feels he is 'entitled' to graze his cattle in that area. It pains me to say this but the BLM appears to be in the right.
Ranchers in Western Montana have leased grazing land from the BLM with no problem. Grazing land is being bought-up to amount to millions of acres each year for urban sprawl. BLM lands are a last resort for grazing.

Chuck

Technically the land is owned by the state of Nevada and controlled/maintained by the BLM. Not sure if the state of Nevada has asked the BLM to handle this situation or if the Feds jumped in. There are reports of the confiscated cattle either being killed and buried where they are found, or immediately being sold at auction. Either way, is that destruction of property? Even if he was found guilty isn't evidence/property supposed to be kept around until all appeals are exhausted?

Even if sold, 900 head of cattle won't pay the debt of 1.1 mil. It'll come close. If those reports have any truth to them, seems to me, the BLM is guilty of cattle theft and destruction of private property. No one, not even the BLM has a right to do that. I'll say one thing, I respect Mr. Bundy for standing-up for what he believes in!

Chuck

jtiflyer

Even if he was found guilty isn't evidence/property supposed to be kept around until all appeals are exhausted?

those poor cows would be dead or worthless...this case has already been going on for 21 years!

If auctioned, the money could be held in arrears, or paid back with interest at the point of resolution. If the defendant was victorious he could also petition for a higher valuation.

kelpdiver

*** Even if he was found guilty isn't evidence/property supposed to be kept around until all appeals are exhausted?

those poor cows would be dead or worthless...this case has already been going on for 21 years!

If auctioned, the money could be held in arrears, or paid back with interest at the point of resolution. If the defendant was victorious he could also petition for a higher valuation.

good info, thats why i was asking. Not sure how relevant this is. But there were reports of drilling looking for oil, and recent sales of BLM controlled land to power companies for fracking. Would seem to make sense why the BLM is in such a fit over this. If they have a buyer lined up this rancher is keeping them from there payday. No links at the moment to help this theory. I will need to keep digging.

kelpdiver

*** Even if he was found guilty isn't evidence/property supposed to be kept around until all appeals are exhausted?

Higher than market price?

Chuck

masterrig

Liquidation generally doesn't get you market price, nor does it get you their potential future value.

jtiflyer

good info, thats why i was asking. Not sure how relevant this is. But there were reports of drilling looking for oil, and recent sales of BLM controlled land to power companies for fracking. Would seem to make sense why the BLM is in such a fit over this. If they have a buyer lined up this rancher is keeping them from there payday. No links at the moment to help this theory. I will need to keep digging.

It's a pretty far fetched notion, particularly since I don't see a conflict between granting fracking rights and grazing rights to the spare grass on top.

And fracking was not viable at 1993 oil prices, even if the extraction knowledge was already developed.

kelpdiver

Liquidation generally doesn't get you market price, nor does it get you their potential future value.

You said that if the defendant was victorious he could petition for a higher valuation. I had just never heard that before and was curious about your statement. Usually, they might get .50 cents on the dollar... if they're lucky.

Chuck

PiLFy

They probably spotted Militia elements moving into position.

They probably realized it's easier to deal with an "angry mob" when it has to leave to go back to work on Monday.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

They probably spotted Militia elements moving into position.

They probably realized it's easier to deal with an "angry mob" when it has to leave to go back to work on Monday.

They're not a Mob, & will gladly miss a day of work :S...