Boogers

Feds lay siege to Nevada ranch

Dude. It's CLARK COUNTY.

Not really sure of all the details of the dispute, but if the guy was letting his cattle graze on BLM land, fine; no issue.

UNLESS they step over the invisible line in which case . . . I'm surprised the cows aren't dead and the rancher forced to sign nondisclosure agreements.

CLARK COUNTY.

Google it.

You can screw around in that area to a certain extent, but beyond that . . . Whackenhut would like to have a word with you and the Sheriff and they aren't playing around.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Southern_Man

Fascism
You have two cows. The government takes them and sells you the milk.

Almost certainly not the issue.

Again, it's far more likely somebody or thing stepped over the invisible lines.
quade -

From what I've read on this matter, a special interest group wants the cattle off of BLM land so as to protect some turtle that shares that land. To me, those cows and turtles have been co-existing for a long time. Why now, all the fuss. Cows don't eat turtles! Also, a very small number of ranchers graze their cattle on BLM land. Of that number, some are 'hobby ranchers'. They lease or pay fees to graze BLM land. This rancher has been turned-down by two federal courts. I am very much in support of honest ranchers who work hard to make a living but in this case, this 'rancher' sounds like he feels he is 'entitled' to graze his cattle in that area. It pains me to say this but the BLM appears to be in the right.
Ranchers in Western Montana have leased grazing land from the BLM with no problem. Grazing land is being bought-up to amount to millions of acres each year for urban sprawl. BLM lands are a last resort for grazing.

Chuck

quade

***Fascism
You have two cows. The government takes them and sells you the milk.

Almost certainly not the issue.

Again, it's far more likely somebody or thing stepped over the invisible lines.

this whole thing is about a turtle that was put on the endangered list....

And fees he will not pay to the BLM but would pay to the county
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

Are you sure?

Yes, that's what it says in some reports, but I seriously doubt that's all there is to it.
quade -

quade

***this whole thing is about a turtle that was put on the endangered list....

Are you sure?

Yes, that's what it says in some reports, but I seriously doubt that's all there is to it.

Just based on the interview I saw and some other news reports from local outlets

The BLM has run nealy 30 other ranchers off the land in the last 20 years
This is the last one according to reports
But, am I sure? No more than any of us can be when it comes to news reports anymore[:/]
Abraham Lincoln

quade

***this whole thing is about a turtle that was put on the endangered list....

Are you sure?

The BLM is owed grazing fees by Bundy since 1993. That is the bottom line. The tortoise thing is from some special interest group.

Chuck

I think you're pretty close.

Sounds like he has some sort of constitutional issue with the feds owning the property and making payment to them as opposed to local ownership and payment by and to the county.
Which sounds pretty odd.
I'd be curious to know what started this.

Also of note, a simply JFGI of Clark County, NV really turns up nothing of interest.
I got bored with grazing through the links after 6 pages of nothing.

jclalor

I thought this is the reason we have Predators and Hellfire missiles.

Seems like a good excuse to break out the Warthogs for some live ammo practice.

Might be tough on the tortoises, though.

Don

JerryBaumchen

According to one article he has two court orders telling him to remove his cattle. A word of advice: Do not disobey a court order.

Do you think that justifies confiscating all his cattle and surrounding his house with snipers?

The guy is 67 years old. Just ignore his defiance, and he'll die off soon enough on his own. Then you can go get his cattle peacefully.

this will NOT help the situation

http://lasvegas.cbslocal.com/2014/04/10/expect-to-see-a-band-of-soldiers-militia-members-arrive-at-nevada-ranch/

The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports that two militia members from Montana and one from Utah have arrived at Cliven Bundy’s ranch.

“We need to be the barrier between the oppressed and the tyrants,” Ryan Payne of the West Mountain Rangers told the Review-Journal. “Expect to see a band of soldiers.”

Payne said that militias from New Hampshire, Texas and Florida are likely to join and stand with Bundy and stay at his ranch.

“They all tell me they are in the process of mobilizing as we speak,” Payne told the Review-Journal, adding that hundreds of militia members are expected.

Abraham Lincoln

normiss

I think you're pretty close.

Sounds like he has some sort of constitutional issue with the feds owning the property and making payment to them as opposed to local ownership and payment by and to the county.
Which sounds pretty odd.
I'd be curious to know what started this.

Also of note, a simply JFGI of Clark County, NV really turns up nothing of interest.
I got bored with grazing through the links after 6 pages of nothing.

Ranchers in other states who graze cattle on BLM land pay a fee and so should Bundy. He's been to federal court twice on this and turned-down by the courts both times. Bundy seems to think he is entitled to graze his cattle because his ancestors did. That was before the BLM took ownership of the land. Besides, in that country, it takes 100 acres to graze one cow. I wouldn't be fighting to graze that land. Clark County really, has no say in this matter. It's government land that happens to be in Clark County. Kinda like an Air Force Base in a county.

Chuck

kelpdiver

The guy is 67 years old. Just ignore his defiance, and he'll die off soon enough on his own. Then you can go get his cattle peacefully.

It's not very practical to apply legal responses based on the age of the person in question.

It's also not very reasonable to escalate to deadly force over cows and turtles.

Are they worth the deaths of citizens and law officers?

And I'm sure THIS has nothing at all to do with it.... [:/]

There's generally more than two sides to every story, and there appears to be enuff blame to go around. This being said, I would hope/think the actions of a Federal agency would should be above reproach.

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

rushmc

Hey, just had a brilliant idea: Let's put a bunch of those turtles on the border with Mexico, and then the Feds will rush all their law enforcement assets to the border region to protect the turtles by finally stopping the illegal immigration. Do it for the turtles!

Glitch

And I'm sure THIS has nothing at all to do with it.... [:/]

Well, well, isn't that interesting. Follow the money. So maybe the cows and turtles are just an excuse to seize the land for huge profits. And of course, all that oil drilling activity won't hurt the turtles at all, like those evil cows who go around deliberately stomping them to death.

Boogers

It's not very practical to apply legal responses based on the age of the person in question.

It's also not very reasonable to escalate to deadly force over cows and turtles.

Are they worth the deaths of citizens and law officers?

But they're not escalating to deadly force (has a shot been fired?), and they didn't do it over cows and turtles, they did it after 20 years of due process and over a million dollars in arrears. People get evicted from apartments by armed Sheriffs for much much less.

So how young should he be before we shouldn't ignore the problem and wait for him to die?