Boogers

Why do you hate the rich?

There seems to be an awful lot of people who really vehemently detest rich people. And they usually can't give any good reason for it. This has always baffled me. There are plenty of rich people who aren't detestable. Just because they have more money than you isn't a good reason. I hope to be rich someday myself, and wouldn't consider that a good reason for people to hate me.

So why do you hate the rich?

Because they got it by screwing the 99%. Bastards should, should be imprisoned and all that money distributed to us lesser folk. Then all will be right in the world. Well until some of us start screwing with the rest of us:S and then the process starts all over.

There is an exception to this rule..."The Koch Brother's" them are Good Rich people.:ph34r:

normiss

I've always thought it was simple envy.

I don't understand it either.

Yes, there's certainly that. But several people I know are perfectly normal likeable folks, but when the subject of rich people comes up, they're like Jekyl and Hyde, with another personality that just wants to get rid of all rich people. It's weird, and frightening. The hatred I see in these otherwise normal people is inexplicable to me. One guy considers anyone who was born into money and doesn't have to work for a living as "worthless". Of course, this comes from a guy who has had to work hard and struggle all his life. But just because you're living off of daddy's fortune, doesn't make you worthless. It doesn't mean that all your money should be taken from you. Sheesh. I don't know how they get from "envy" to outright "hate"...

I have seen this also. "If they are rich they must have fucked somebody over to get that way" WTF really how about working hard and being smart (or lucky that works too sometimes)
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

I don't actually know anyone who hates people just because they are rich. Do you actually know such people?

On the other hand, I know quite a few people who resent how some people are able to use their wealth to buy political influence and game the system to their advantage. Examples include hedge fund managers who are paid millions of $$/year, but are taxed on that income at a rate far lower than anybody whose income is through a salary or hourly wage. While there may be valid reasons why people such as Romney are (or were until quite recently) taxed at only 15% on income from investments, whereas auto mechanics (as one example of people who get their hands dirty doing while working) are taxed at a significantly higher rate, perhaps you can understand why people would resent that arrangement. You may be confusing resentment of the special treatment the rich are able to buy for themselves with hatred of the rich.

Of course the right wing of American politics done a fine job of painting any questioning of the special treatment the very wealthy tend to get as "class warfare". It's really quite brilliant, especially if you consider that the growth in income of the top 5%, compared to everybody else, suggests that it's the wealthy who have declared economic war on everybody else.

Don

Misplaced "hate".
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

It's like hating a judge for upholding a silly law.
Judge is just doing his job.
If people are taking advantage of existing law to manipulate their wealth...how is the rich person at fault?

GeorgiaDon

Whereas auto mechanics (as one example of people who get their hands dirty doing while working) are taxed at a significantly higher rate

Not really. Broad lower tax brackets, big deductions, and significant exemptions mean effective tax rates aren't that high for most people.

Make $100K as a couple, put a prudent $15K in 401K/SEP/SIMPLE accounts, take the standard deduction, and you pay 8.9% in Federal Income Tax.

Make $120K as a single person, put the legal limit into your 401k, live someplace where state taxes approximate the standard deduction, pay $18K a year in mortgage interest and property tax, pay 12.1%.

Make $200K as a dual income couple, put the legal limit into two 401k plans, live someplace where state taxes match the standard deduction, knock off $30K in mortgage interest + property taxes, pay 10.3%.

I'll pay 14.4% next year in spite of having a luxury car-loan sized mortgage and would be paying less if I didn't have phantom income from exercising non-statutory stock options.

Some people pay too much which isn't fair; although the right fix is charging them less not other people more.

There's also Social Security and Medicare which are separate things.

Social Security is a separate program consisting of disability insurance, life insurance for married people/minor children, and a retirement plan with a bad rate of return with proceeds dependent on what you pay in. Warren Buffet pays the same as other working professionals and gets the same benefit.

Everybody pays Medicare now, and with big investment returns the wealthy and one-time winners pay 3.8% not the 1.45% charged to employees.

Boogers

There seems to be an awful lot of people who really vehemently detest rich people. And they usually can't give any good reason for it. This has always baffled me. There are plenty of rich people who aren't detestable. Just because they have more money than you isn't a good reason. I hope to be rich someday myself, and wouldn't consider that a good reason for people to hate me.

So why do you hate the rich?

Why do you love the Rich.. no matter what they do??

normiss

Misplaced "hate".
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

It's like hating a judge for upholding a silly law.
Judge is just doing his job.
If people are taking advantage of existing law to manipulate their wealth...how is the rich person at fault?

So we cant question judges now....:S

Like the Affluenza Judge

How about the one who will not put a DuPont heir in jail after all those crimes against a child...

How about the good ole boy that refuses to give a meaningful sentence to the guys who raped those "sluts"

Face it.. there is a far different "justice" system for some Americans who are far more equal than the rest of us little animals.

It's not about the rich. It's not about gays, people who get abortions, oil companies, religious people, atheists, illegal immigrants, gun owners, muslims, or people in unions.

It's about demanding change from a group of people you're not a member of after convincing yourself said change will improve the world... you can make a difference and all you have to do is bitch and vote for a politician who will stick it to that group.

GeorgiaDon

I don't actually know anyone who hates people just because they are rich. Do you actually know such people?

On the other hand, I know quite a few people who resent how some people are able to use their wealth to buy political influence and game the system to their advantage. Examples include hedge fund managers who are paid millions of $$/year, but are taxed on that income at a rate far lower than anybody whose income is through a salary or hourly wage. While there may be valid reasons why people such as Romney are (or were until quite recently) taxed at only 15% on income from investments, whereas auto mechanics (as one example of people who get their hands dirty doing while working) are taxed at a significantly higher rate, perhaps you can understand why people would resent that arrangement. You may be confusing resentment of the special treatment the rich are able to buy for themselves with hatred of the rich.

Of course the right wing of American politics done a fine job of painting any questioning of the special treatment the very wealthy tend to get as "class warfare". It's really quite brilliant, especially if you consider that the growth in income of the top 5%, compared to everybody else, suggests that it's the wealthy who have declared economic war on everybody else.

Don

I think the hate is from being told lies from the people that profit from class warfare. When the issue with Romney only paying 15% on investments was compared to the average Joe they were misled. If you look at the average Joe making less than 100k, after their tax return is filed, they pay about the same percentage or less. They definitely pay less in total $s than Romney. Class warfare is staged to keep people from working together and solving problems while keeping power hungry people in power. The left would loose greatly if it were not for class warfare and racism. I think you should use the rich as examples of what is possible, to promote the American dream and drive people to work harder to obtain their goals and desires.

For me rich is a relative term. I know quite a few rich folk that do not have much money at all. IMO those who hate the rich have bought into the liberal lie that the pie is finite. If someone gets a big slice it means someone else got a smaller slice. Baloney! Well, in a free market capitalist society the pie is infinite. Many seem to not like that type of social structure. I refer to them as the enemy, or more specifically, useful agents of the enemy.

I knew a confirmed, anti-Christian, hippie in Taos, NM. He refused to make or keep more money than necessary for minimal survival. He was a Roman Catholic seminary dropout. I reconnected with him a few years ago and his expressed hatred for corporations and those employed by same was staggering. It was very similar to a northern CA poster here in SC. A short time later he died of cancer. For me it was one of those mysterious cause and effect spiritual questions.

I mostly feel sorry for rich people. I have known some very wealthy folks and they just don't present joy or peace of mind.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

marks2065

***I don't actually know anyone who hates people just because they are rich. Do you actually know such people?

Don

I think the hate is from being told lies from the people that profit from class warfare. When the issue with Romney only paying 15% on investments was compared to the average Joe they were misled. If you look at the average Joe making less than 100k, after their tax return is filed, they pay about the same percentage or less. They definitely pay less in total $s than Romney. Class warfare is staged to keep people from working together and solving problems while keeping power hungry people in power. The left would loose greatly if it were not for class warfare and racism. I think you should use the rich as examples of what is possible, to promote the American dream and drive people to work harder to obtain their goals and desires.

Yes the Rich do... I agree that they who hold all the real power are actually PRACTICING class warfare. It is the perfect application of the Golden Rule...

He who has the GOLD has made all the rules to benefit his class. Murica

GeorgiaDon

There is no shortage of people here, or out there trying to push public opinion that are perfectly content to ignore the distinction you have identified.

The tech bus blockades going on in SF and Oakland right now are a good, specific illustration of it. (and a good pretty illustration of how useless/stupid these protestors are)

And as already noted to you, it's quite unlikely (ie, flat out false) that those mechanics are paying "a significantly higher rate."

Amazon

******I don't actually know anyone who hates people just because they are rich. Do you actually know such people?

Don

Yes the Rich do... I agree that they who hold all the real power are actually PRACTICING class warfare. It is the perfect application of the Golden Rule...

And the ones that pay for most of our infrastructure, defense, and charity that make this nation great deserve our thanks and appreciation.

GeorgiaDon

Don

That's the weird thing. All this "special treatment" for the "wealthy" is one of those grass-is-greener things.

The "wealthy" might not get taxed much. Because the "wealthy" might not be earning income and simply living off of their bank account. No, they aren't taxed much. Plenty blow it (look at lottery winners and pro athletes). But unless they were born with that wealth, they've been taxed heavily. If they inherited that wealth, it was taxed heavily. Unless it's in a trust, in which case their takings from the trust are taxed.

But then there are high income earners. A surgeon makes $500k in a year? That mortgage deduction is gone. Student loan interest payments are gone. Chilkd care tax credit - gone.

They not only get taxed at a higher rate than the mechanic but they lose those exemptions.

So "high earners" end up paying very large sums to Uncle Sam and without the exemptions others get. So high wage earners get hit harder than anyone else.

But still, they for some reason are viewed as needing to do more.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

[Reply]And as already noted to you, it's quite unlikely (ie, flat out false) that those mechanics are paying "a significantly higher rate."

This is the thing. Ever notice that they focus on hedge fund managers? That selective and quite small group of people who benefit from that rule. The .0001%.

Then they take that situation and apply it to all 1%ers. People like the thoracic surgeon who makes good money and supports her family, whom she just doesn't see much of because she's operating on people at 1:00 in the morning four times per week. The 1%er who should pay "just a little more."

A very large proportion of the high wage earners aren't wealthy. I'll put my net worth against a bum on the street.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

To some people, I probably qualify as rich. Our house and cars are paid for, and we are retired. (edit to add: I bought the house in 1988, and the car in 2006, so the surprising thing would be if they weren't paid for by now).

For the definition of "really rich," I went to Richistan:P. It groups rich people thusly:

with a net worth of $1–$10 million in over 7 million households, $10–$100 million in over 1.4 million households, and $100 million to $1 billion in thousands of households, plus more than 400 billionaires.

He considers the bottom group to be "barely rich." Of course, to the other 97% of America, even they probably look pretty rich.

But the upshot is that people in these groups, particularly the upper 2, live in a parallel universe that we don't get to inhabit. And the resentment is that it's not really accessible to the overwhelming majority of Americans. Unless, of course, they manage to generate a startup and get bought out -- that's the quickest honest way to get to the top two tiers these days. The bottom one is somewhat accessible with hard work, saving, and not buying a lot of shit on credit that you don't need.

For many of the things that most people do have access to, the very wealthy have superior access; if we want our kid to go to (for example), Harvard, he has to compete against the legacies (mostly rich) who get added points in the admission process simply because their parents went there, or they donated enough money. Etc.

I think the resentment is two-part; it's for the loss of the American dream that anyone can "make it." But that was never true -- it's just that now, with mass media so pervasive, pretty much everyone knows not only who's made it, but it's rubbed in their faces all the time.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Look, anyone different than me should be mis-characterized, demonized and anonymously slammed until me and a bunch of others like me feel self-righteously justified to use the force of law to take their stuff away and used for things I like.

The rich are easy targets and they have stuff - so I can convince myself to hate them so I don't feel bad about treating them like subhuman cash machines.

Even better, if I can convince a bunch of other people to hate them (I don't care what the reason is), maybe they'll vote me into a medium paying elective role if I'm honest - or if I'm very dishonest, the same role could be very lucrative.

Then, once in power, I can play those voters and that hated group against each other until they both VOLUNTARILY start giving me power and money - bwahahahahahaha

you never know

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

marks2065

*********I don't actually know anyone who hates people just because they are rich. Do you actually know such people?

Don

And the ones that pay for most of our infrastructure, defense, and charity that make this nation great deserve our thanks and appreciation.

That sounds more like the definition of brown-nosing.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I think its a Media and a Democratic Political Practice, Envy and Hate Sells.Ironic the Kettle calling the Pot Black.

If we're being told Life in America is NOT Fair, social and financial inequality is Rampant. therefor Everyone in America is a Victim except the rich,they got it Good.

If its repeated enough the THEY WILL BELIEVE IT.
That's right in the Greatest Country on this Earth you are a Victim.and
Opportunity is Dead.

The American dream is Dead. Don't even try, if you do,your a FOOL.

The gov't is Here to save you and make it Fair, Screw the rich,that will make you feel Good,and right all your wrongs.

By the Way how does it feel to be DEPENDENT?

I don't hate the rich. I really try hard not to hate groups of people in general. In fact I reserve my hatred for individuals, and even then I try to limit the hate, since hatred doesn't really hurt anyone but me.

All that said, while I don't harbor any ill will towards the wealthy, I do harbor some ill will towards those who paint the wealthy as hard workers and the poor as lazy. I'm not a fan of the messaging that those who are wealthy are somehow more deserving of wealth than those who are poor or middle class. I am, by world standards - wealthy, and by American standards, doing well, though I'm hardly wealthy. I have worked hard and taken advantage of opportunities that have come my way, but I don't feel that I am inherently more deserving; a lot of the opportunities that were available to me were pure luck based on the circumstances of my birth.

I'm also pretty disappointed by the systematic dismantling of the American middle class that's taken place over the last few decades because of a whole host of economic forces, and political and social choices we've made as a nation, because I feel that is more likely than anything to be the undoing of this society, and will continue to breed hatred and resentment ... aimed in all different directions at all kinds of groups.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke