Boogers

The "Evil" Koch Family

Iago

This was before 'Citizen Koch' was even made, and it was only called 'Citizen Koch' to be more inflamatory.

Mmmm... I'd wager a guess it wasn't to make it more inflammatory, but instead to draw the rather obvious parallels between an enigmatic guy who inherited his money, tried to sway public opinion and government via media and is considered to be a little eccentric in that regard even among his peers. "They" make movies about such people. Years ago Orson Wells made a rather famous one about another guy, Hurst, but he titled the film, "Citizen Kane."

So . . . . no. Pretty sure your "theory" about that is wrong.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

kallend

It's the act. Not on whom the act is done. Not the actor. It's the act.

IMO, the ACT of using $millions to sway an election in your favor is subverting the very idea of democracy.

The concept that a corporation is a person is subverting the very idea of democracy.

The Roberts Doctrine is, IMO, totally contrary to the principles that the USA is supposed to represent.

We very clearly are in the era of government of the people, by the wealthy, for the very wealthy.

And the evidence of this is as clear as the nose on your face
I would think your words had merit if you actually used them equally. It seams it is bad for the Koch's to dump money into they political arena but it is ok for GE, George Soros, and other big money to dump money to the left. be fair and dump on them all.

Amazon

So scum bag guy with Cancer funds a very expensive center that could save his own life. To make sure people KNOW who donated.. he puts the strings on it to have it named after him. OH and you do know where its placement is.. a new facility for New York Presbyterian Hospital.. on the Upper East Side... If memory serves.. this beneficence directly impacts a solidly 1% neighborhood.. Yup.. great Philanthropy.. for the rich by the very rich... Kinda like that Lincoln Center kind of Philanthropy.... Entertaining your friends... :S:S My definition of helping others tends to less self serving goals.

I used to own property on the Upper East Side and I would hardly call it a solidly 1% neighborhood. Additionally, I knew someone from the South Bronx whose father was treated for cancer at NY Presbyterian, so it is not necessarily a hospital only for the rich.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

I do not consider them to be 'evil'. they have a shit-ton of money and they use it to further their agendas, which is advantageous for them and disadvantageous for the majority of people I expect.

If you were that rich, you would be doing the same thing.

The issue is not the Koch Brothers - it is that we continue to re-elect people that allow this to go on. WE are the problem. WE vote them in.

The system can actually change, the people who think they vote in a democratic way are kidding themselves and refuse to believe they have the power to change it (and are lazy, apathetic, whatever else)

tkhayes

I do not consider them to be 'evil'. they have a shit-ton of money and they use it to further their agendas, which is advantageous for them and disadvantageous for the majority of people I expect.

If you were that rich, you would be doing the same thing.

The issue is not the Koch Brothers - it is that we continue to re-elect people that allow this to go on. WE are the problem. WE vote them in.

The system can actually change, the people who think they vote in a democratic way are kidding themselves and refuse to believe they have the power to change it (and are lazy, apathetic, whatever else)

Whatever else = watching too much television. Turn off the television and start thinking for yourself and these problems would go away. For the American populace, disconnecting from tv is apparently too much to ask.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

tkhayes

turning off the TV will not make the problem go away. The Koch Brothers would still have money and influence.

The lie machine would take a huge hit if people stop voting according to what they see and hear on television. As a consequence voters may end up thinking a little bit and using some common sense to elect fewer corporate shills into office. At least that's my theory (or pipe dream, depending on how you look at it).

masterblaster72

So scum bag guy with Cancer funds a very expensive center that could save his own life. To make sure people KNOW who donated.. he puts the strings on it to have it named after him. OH and you do know where its placement is.. a new facility for New York Presbyterian Hospital.. on the Upper East Side... If memory serves.. this beneficence directly impacts a solidly 1% neighborhood.. Yup.. great Philanthropy.. for the rich by the very rich... Kinda like that Lincoln Center kind of Philanthropy.... Entertaining your friends... :S:S My definition of helping others tends to less self serving goals.

I used to own property on the Upper East Side and I would hardly call it a solidly 1% neighborhood. Additionally, I knew someone from the South Bronx whose father was treated for cancer at NY Presbyterian, so it is not necessarily a hospital only for the rich.

Think a long ways south of "The South Bronx" http://binged.it/1fVBDJe

NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital announced a $100 million gift from David H. Koch, which will support the construction of its new ambulatory care center at the hospital's Upper East Side location on York Avenue between 68th and 69th Streets.
http://nyp.org/news/hospital/David-Koch-Donation-2013.html

I seem to remember that is not too bad a neighborhood.:ph34r:

I seem to remember that is not too bad a neighborhood

And all the people working there deserve health care, too. Oops. No they don't. And all those union workers protesting it? What if one of them gets a cold from protesting and needs treatment? Send them to Jamaica on Long Island?

Note what you did here: The health care is where the wealthy might access it. Therefore, it is bad and must not be allowed.

Let me guess - if health care was desired in that area then Obama would have built it with our tax dollars. How DARE peasants like the Kochs decide where to donate money? After all, the enlightened should be able to take that money and spend it on themselves what is truly necessary. A politician's name on a building is better than a private citizen's. Because politicians really care.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

lawrocket

I seem to remember that is not too bad a neighborhood

And all the people working there deserve health care, too. Oops. No they don't. And all those union workers protesting it? What if one of them gets a cold from protesting and needs treatment? Send them to Jamaica on Long Island?

Note what you did here: The health care is where the wealthy might access it. Therefore, it is bad and must not be allowed.

Let me guess - if health care was desired in that area then Obama would have built it with our tax dollars. How DARE peasants like the Kochs decide where to donate money? After all, the enlightened should be able to take that money and spend it on themselves what is truly necessary. A politician's name on a building is better than a private citizen's. Because politicians really care.

I do love watching you spin:ph34r::ph34r:

I think the people that this facility will be built to service will find great care there. But I also think that most of the people who need the services that a facility like this could provide will never be able to afford it.
You can try to make all the excuses for that you may want but it is the reality... and most of the people who will be served there will not need to see or smell the unwashed masses... who will be forced into other, more affordable or charitable based health options.

So who are the real elitists??

But I also think that most of the people who need the services that a facility like this could provide will never be able to afford it

I suspect that the vast majority of people seen there will have insurance.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

lawrocket

But I also think that most of the people who need the services that a facility like this could provide will never be able to afford it

I suspect that the vast majority of people seen there will have insurance.

I wonder how many companies insurance will be "in network".