Andy9o8

What would Jesus do... in Virginia?

The milk of Christian kindness is a gift that just keeps on giving.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/03/26/virginia-girls-toys-not-feminine-enough-for-lynchburg-christian-school/?tid=hp_mm&hpid=z3

Virginia girl’s style not feminine enough for Lynchburg Christian school

Last week came the story of the boy in Buncombe County, N.C. who got bullied when he showed up at school with a “My Little Pony” bag. His public school told him to lose the bag — which outraged the cybersphere until the school relented.

Apparently, he wasn’t seen as masculine enough.

Now comes the story of the girl apparently thought by her school as not feminine enough.

It happened last month but is just now coming out, everywhere.

The 8-year-old Lynchburg, Va., girl has an affinity for autographed baseballs, collector coins, tee-shirts, short hair and hunting knives. The girl’s private Christian school sent a letter to her grandmother and guardian saying she should dress and act more like a girl.

“You’re probably aware that Timberlake Christian School is a religious, Bible believing institution providing education in a distinctly Christian environment … We believe that unless Sunnie as well as her family clearly understand that God has made her female and her dress and behavior need to follow suit with her God-ordained identity, that TCS is not the best place for her future education.”

Oh! and let's not forget Mark 12:31

For those not from the area, Lynchburg is about as hard core Christian as it gets. Jerry Falwell is from Lynchburg, and it is the location of his Liberty University.

And where, exactly, in the Bible does Jesus say how little girls should dress and what interests they are allowed to have?

- Dan G

I'm sure the parents understood perfectly well the extreme religious environment that their child was placed in. Only when it's their child being persecuted do they get their panties in a bunch.

They got exactly what they signed up for.

Or Acts 29:6

Remember saints, the path is long and the work is hard. Keep your women in the galley barefooted and pregnant. You will need all the help you can get.

Bottom line, baseball was invented by God. In Genesis, "In the big inning...."
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

Or Acts 29:6

Remember saints, the path is long and the work is hard. Keep your women in the galley barefooted and pregnant. You will need all the help you can get.

Bottom line, baseball was invented by God. In Genesis, "In the big inning...."

Tennis as well, "When Joseph served in Pharaoh's Court..."
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

jclalor

I'm sure the parents understood perfectly well the extreme religious environment that their child was placed in. Only when it's their child being persecuted do they get their panties in a bunch.

A large portion of students attending catholic school in the last several decades did so because their parents thought it better than the public schools. Not necessarily for religious reasons. Or...even they thought these administrators had some level of reasonableness.

Though if they observed how unreasonable public school admins are, why would they expect better in the private environment and its at will enrollment policies.

kelpdiver

***I'm sure the parents understood perfectly well the extreme religious environment that their child was placed in. Only when it's their child being persecuted do they get their panties in a bunch.

A large portion of students attending catholic school in the last several decades did so because their parents thought it better than the public schools. Not necessarily for religious reasons. Or...even they thought these administrators had some level of reasonableness.

Though if they observed how unreasonable public school admins are, why would they expect better in the private environment and its at will enrollment policies.

I think Catholic schools are a far cry from Christian fundamentalist schools, I spent a few years in catholic schools my self and really can't even recall any type of religious classes. ( although I did get corralled into being an Alter Boy, but that's for another thread)

I think if you send your kid to a fundamentalist Christian school, you know exactly what your getting into, you just don't ever see your own kid as being one the villains.

Andy9o8

The milk of Christian kindness is a gift that just keeps on giving.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/03/26/virginia-girls-toys-not-feminine-enough-for-lynchburg-christian-school/?tid=hp_mm&hpid=z3

Last week came the story of the boy in Buncombe County, N.C. who got bullied when he showed up at school with a “My Little Pony” bag. His public school told him to lose the bag — which outraged the cybersphere until the school relented.

Now comes the story of the girl apparently thought by her school as not feminine enough.

The 8-year-old Lynchburg, Va., girl has an affinity for autographed baseballs, collector coins, tee-shirts, short hair and hunting knives. The girl’s private Christian school sent a letter to her grandmother and guardian saying she should dress and act more like a girl.

“You’re probably aware that Timberlake Christian School is a religious, Bible believing institution providing education in a distinctly Christian environment … We believe that unless Sunnie as well as her family clearly understand that God has made her female and her dress and behavior need to follow suit with her God-ordained identity, that TCS is not the best place for her future education.”

If there is a dress code and a code of behavior, and the child doesn't, or won't comply, then the final sentence of that quote is probably correct. I don't see the big deal.

Are you saying it is her right to attend that school?
Are you trying to argue that the school should show special treatment to her?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

***The milk of Christian kindness is a gift that just keeps on giving.

If there is a dress code and a code of behavior, and the child doesn't, or won't comply, then the final sentence of that quote is probably correct. I don't see the big deal.

Are you saying it is her right to attend that school?
Are you trying to argue that the school should show special treatment to her?

I can only imagine what would happen if this was a Muslim private school and the outrage over a girl being forced to adhere to a certain behaviour pattern and dress a certain way.

Don't you think that, unlike you before your first post to this thread, I did my homework and looked up the school's dress code? I did. She appears to comply. They don't like her because she has short hair (which isn't prohibited for girls), her tee-shirts (which are not specifically covered) are not fru-fru and she looks dykey-androgynous. Yeah, I suppose the parents should have known that when they sent their kid to a fascist school, the school would act like fascists, so no big surprise there.

But that returns us to my original question: what would Jesus do? How would He apply His grace and love of others to this situation?

Andy9o8

Don't you think that, unlike you before your first post to this thread, I did my homework and looked up the school's dress code? I did. She appears to comply. They don't like her because she has short hair (which isn't prohibited for girls), her tee-shirts (which are not specifically covered) are not fru-fru and she looks dykey-androgynous. Yeah, I suppose the parents should have known that when they sent their kid to a fascist school, the school would act like fascists, so no big surprise there.

But that returns us to my original question: what would Jesus do? How would He apply His grace and love of others to this situation?

I'm pretty sure I know.
Perhaps you should become more of a student of his word, and you would too. It's actually pretty obvious.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Andy9o8

I don't think the fundamentalist believe so much in the huggy and kissy Jesus, it really doesn't work that well with their agenda. I think they would prefer the Christianity of the Malleus Maleficarum, it really seems at times that that's the direction their heading back too.

>I'm sure the parents understood perfectly well the extreme religious
>environment that their child was placed in.

Agreed. However, they may not have guessed that if their girl followed the dress code but was not deemed to be "feminine" enough she would be expelled. That's pretty unreasonable even for religious schools in the US.

>Only when it's their child being persecuted do they get their panties in a bunch.

Sort of the definition of "parent."

jclalor

***Don't you think that, unlike you before your first post to this thread, I did my homework and looked up the school's dress code? I did. She appears to comply. They don't like her because she has short hair (which isn't prohibited for girls), her tee-shirts (which are not specifically covered) are not fru-fru and she looks dykey-androgynous. Yeah, I suppose the parents should have known that when they sent their kid to a fascist school, the school would act like fascists, so no big surprise there.

I don't think the fundamentalist believe so much in the huggy and kissy Jesus, it really doesn't work that well with their agenda. I think they would prefer the Christianity of the Malleus Maleficarum, it really seems at times that that's the direction their heading back too.

Interesting and apt reference. One of the several agendas of the Malleus Maleficarum was to instruct church-appointed magistrates on how to detect, persecute and prosecute witches. Nowadays we refer to that as the Rules of Criminal Procedure.

DanG

I'm pretty sure I know.
Perhaps you should become more of a student of his word, and you would too. It's actually pretty obvious.Smile

Care to enlighten the rest of us?

(I won't hold my breath)

That is a lesson for the student to answer on his own time.

DanG

That is a lesson for the student to answer on his own time.

Got it. Trolling, as usual.

What good would it be if I told you?

Learning it is what makes the difference.