toolbox

Just one of many examples,woman uses handgun to deter home intruder.

http://www.kmtr.com/news/local/Sheriff-Woman-holds-intruder-at-gunpoint-249951901.html

This guy was not stopped by the security system,the three dogs,or the locked doors and windows.
He was stopped by a woman with a handgun though.
The report states that when the police arrived,the suspect fought them and had to be tased.

toolbox

http://www.kmtr.com/news/local/Sheriff-Woman-holds-intruder-at-gunpoint-249951901.html

This guy was not stopped by the security system,the three dogs,or the locked doors and windows.
The report states that when the police arrived,the suspect fought them and had to be tased.

Since it doesn't give credence to an argument for banning guns, this will be largely ignored.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I read the article.... the puzzling part to me is:

John Henry Hingson, the past president of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, said the law states that homeowners are justified in using physical force upon another person when someone trespasses into their home.

And if someone remains in a dwelling with intent to commit a crime such as rape, theft or assault, homeowners may use deadly physical force.

"You have what is known as 'duty to retreat' when attacked inside your own home by an invader. Period. End of discussion."

WTF is this 'duty to retreat' when attacked in your home? I've not heard of this... I have heard of the 'Castle Doctrine' though.
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

That quote, taken as a whole, doesn't make sense.

Also, there's a video associated with this story on that site where they talk about the first two paragraphs you quoted, and then have a quote from the guy they were interviewing which is completely different from that 'duty to retreat' line in the article. So I'm not sure who that line is supposedly quoting.

kallend

Thank you for justifying my comment up thread. :)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

toolbox

This is a tragedy. She should've killed the POS.

kallend

And another great example of my continued disrespect for The Constitution, Bill of Rights, & all of those who sacrificed for me to be this way:

www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/13/us-usa-crime-houston-idUSBREA2C2AR20140313

FIFY :S. Apples N Oranges, but whatever gets you through the day. Maybe one day, you can have your very own matched set of multiple Felons. They'll break in one night, & you can give 'em the spiel... One of the other faculty members can post the article of what happened to you after they finished chasing you around your house.

PiLFy

And another great example of my continued disrespect for The Constitution, Bill of Rights, & all of those who sacrificed for me to be this way:

FIFY :S. Apples N Oranges, but whatever gets you through the day. Maybe one day, you can have your very own matched set of multiple Felons. They'll break in one night, & you can give 'em the spiel... One of the other faculty members can post the article of what happened to you after they finished chasing you around your house.

In your position, she should have been another statistic, that way your reasoning would be justified.

Nice.

turtlespeed

In your position, she should have been another statistic, that way your reasoning would be justified.

Nice.

What? I don't follow your meaning. She, the teen who had her boyfriend in her room? She, who would've rid herself & children from a future threat from that shitbird who broke into her house? Or She, a spoiled Liberal who loves disdaining the very people who keep him safe & drawing breath? Which She do you mean?

turtlespeed

the one that should have shot the POS.

That POS broke into her house. That POS threatened herself, & her children. That POS is such a POS, that he chose to battle the cops when they arrived. The Cops who not-so-secretly wished she'd rid the planet of one more bad seed...

Now, the POS goes to jail for a couple of years, & is then released :|. Now, the POS has the opportunity to come back, & pay them another visit :|:|. Do you think that POS will be armed w/more than a shoe when he does???

PiLFy

Bursts your little bubble when an example is given that disagrees with your preconceived worldview.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I have not heard anyone here ever say a person should not have the right to have a gun in their own home for protection. It's incredible how an argument to have things like background checks and abolishing SYG, get construed into they want to take all of your guns.

Because even in the presence of background checks and the absence of SYG laws (...and bans on assault weapons, and magazines over ten rounds, and handgun safety courses, and bans on any new handguns that don't have impossible technology) Democrats don't keep their gun control pets on leashes.

You say you want reasonable measures, but the truth is you don't care what measures are taken.

You say you want reasonable measures, but the truth is you don't care what measures are taken.

Really? Have I ever said anything close to that? You're taking a page right out of the NRA play book; when ever any measure is suggested to regulate who can buy guns, no matter that 90% of the population is in favor of background checks, just flail your arms and scream that their coming to take all of your guns.

jclalor

Really? Have I ever said anything close to that? You're taking a page right out of the NRA play book; when ever any measure is suggested to regulate who can buy guns, no matter that 90% of the population is in favor of background checks, just flail your arms and scream that their coming to take all of your guns.

I'm not talking about background checks and who can buy guns. I'm talking about the state we live in. Background checks are here, assault weapons are banned, magazines over 10 rounds are banned, most handguns are banned, it's nearly impossible to get a CCW permit, it's a serious crime if you let a minor or a prohibited person get their hands on one of your firearms because you didn't secure it properly, and yet, every year there are more laws. Some make it, some don't, but every year there's more.

You care so little about what measures are taken that you think I'm complaining about background checks. :S

champu

I'm not talking about background checks and who can buy guns. I'm talking about the state we live in. Background checks are here, assault weapons are banned, magazines over 10 rounds are banned, most handguns are banned, it's nearly impossible to get a CCW permit, it's a serious crime if you let a minor or a prohibited person get their hands on one of your firearms because you didn't secure it properly, and yet, every year there are more laws. Some make it, some don't, but every year there's more.

You care so little about what measures are taken that you think I'm complaining about background checks. :S

When the laws are so easily circumvented by driving across a state line, what exactly do you expect?

We don't need more laws, we need better laws.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

Bursts your little bubble when an example is given that disagrees with your preconceived worldview.

Not at all. Different views on life make it a richer experience for all. It pisses me off that certain effeminate weanies hide behind the very protections that allow them to draw breath. Without those protections, those Weanies would never have survived to become such weanies...

tkhayes

anecdotal stories that have have little statistical value. There are hundreds if not thousands of other 'anecdotal stories' that clearly demonstrate that some people simply should not have a gun in their possession ever.

There are thousands if not millions of anecdotal stories that some people should not be behind the wheel of a car ever.

There are also thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of anecdotal stories about people who were very fortunate to be in possession of a gun when they needed one.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

toolbox

http://www.nwcn.com/news/washington/Lake-Stevens-homeowner-shoots-supected-burglar-247180951.html

Armed robbers stopped by armed victim.

There are very few communities anywhere in America that are truly immune to random drug violence.

"You have what is known as 'duty to retreat' when attacked inside your own home by an invader. Period. End of discussion."

Say whaaat?

There is NO duty to retreat INSIDE the home. Intruder INSIDE home does not sent merit a "freeze" command or a warning shot. Shoot on sight and without warning.

Where's this "duty to retreat" crap coming from?