Iago

Knife attack in China- 29 dead

rickjump1

******I bet the victims of this attack wish they had guns to defend themselves with.
Guns are equalizers. Even a little old lady can defend herself from much bigger,stronger,and better trained combatants,if she has a gun.

Then Americans must be mighty stupid, cause even with all those guns, you guys keep shooting eachother. Nobody gets shot in Canada? Sounds like the perfect place.

Yeah people get shot in Canada. But you would think that without guns to defend ourselves this would be an incredibly violent place.

We don't have free speech, don't have a right to carry firearms and we have socialized health care. Pfff, it is almost Somalia.

rickjump1

******I bet the victims of this attack wish they had guns to defend themselves with.
Guns are equalizers. Even a little old lady can defend herself from much bigger,stronger,and better trained combatants,if she has a gun.

Then Americans must be mighty stupid, cause even with all those guns, you guys keep shooting eachother. Nobody gets shot in Canada? Sounds like the perfect place. The title of this is: "Grief and few solutions in wake of mass Toronto shooting"
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/grief-and-few-solutions-in-wake-of-mass-toronto-shooting/article4424591/

Anecdote != data

Firearm homicide rate Canada: 0.5 per 100,000 population
Firearm homicide rate U.S.A. : 3.6 per 100,000 population

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

*********I bet the victims of this attack wish they had guns to defend themselves with.

Then Americans must be mighty stupid, cause even with all those guns, you guys keep shooting eachother. Nobody gets shot in Canada? Sounds like the perfect place. The title of this is: "Grief and few solutions in wake of mass Toronto shooting"
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/grief-and-few-solutions-in-wake-of-mass-toronto-shooting/article4424591/

Anecdote != data

Clearly those numbers are impossible. We don't have any guns to defend ourselves.

[Reply]Firearm homicide rate Canada: 0.5 per 100,000 population

Guns per 100 residents of USA - 89
Guns per 100 residents of Canada - 31

Population of Canada - 35 million
Population of USA - 311 million

Guns in Canada - about 11 million
Guns in USA - about 277 million

The per capita number of guns in Canada is 1/3 of the per capita in the USA. But the gun homocide rate is 7 times the rate in the USA. So something else is going on that is cultural. Can guns be blamed? I think they share a portion of it. But they aren't the whole story. Not by a longshot.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

The per capita number of guns in Canada is 1/3 of the per capita in the USA. But the gun homocide rate is 7 times the rate in the USA.

Plus we don't get to carry the guns around, nor are we allowed to leave them around the house. Plus, you have to be licensed to purchase a gun. Plus the far majority of the 11 million guns are long guns.

SkyDekker

The per capita number of guns in Canada is 1/3 of the per capita in the USA. But the gun homocide rate is 7 times the rate in the USA.

Plus we don't get to carry the guns around, nor are we allowed to leave them around the house. Plus, you have to be licensed to purchase a gun. Plus the far majority of the 11 million guns are long guns.

Well, the "carry them around" part has only been common in the US for about 20 years. Prior to Florida enacting their "Shall Issue" permits back in the early 90s, concealed carry was pretty rare.
Since then the homicide rate has actually gone down. Although there are a lot more factors in the rate going down than the presence of a lot more guns being carried.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

kallend

29 Dead, 100+ Wounded in China rail station

Regardless of your stance on knife control, none of this would have happened if none of them had access to knives.

Regardless of your stance on gun control, more people would have been dead if this guy had used firearms.

Or, someone in the crowd would have stopped it cold. Every coin has two sides. Predicting what might have been is a very tricky business.

The article said there were 10 attackers. So what is the "someone" in the crowd going to do about 10 people armed with guns making a coordinated attack?

Or say there had been 20 armed people in the crowd. Now speculate on how 20 random people with guns, not knowing who is who, would have fared against 10 armed, coordinated attackers.

according to what I read the attackers all ran in together, all dressed in black. So if an AR-15 is so deadly, one person with an AR-15 could have taken them all out at once. or more likely, he could have taken cover and picked them off one by one, but who knew what they had planned?

So in fact one has to realize that when people do go off the rails, someone or several ARE going to die. But you can possibly reduce the number of casualties if you allow people the means to defend themselves and others.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

rickjump1

although some people do like to pretend that no one gets shot in canada, 3 people died last week in a shooting (or several) in Tamworth Ontario. And a crazy guy out west went in to work in body armour with knife and killed two fellow employees in warehouse.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

skypuppy

*********I bet the victims of this attack wish they had guns to defend themselves with.

although some people do like to pretend that no one gets shot in canada, 3 people died last week in a shooting (or several) in Tamworth Ontario. And a crazy guy out west went in to work in body armour with knife and killed two fellow employees in warehouse.

Meanwhile, in a typical week in the USA some 220 people are shot dead.

However, anecdote != data

SkyDekker

Regardless of your stance on knife control, none of this would have happened if none of them had access to knives.

Regardless of your stance on gun control, more people would have been dead if this guy had used firearms.

That would depend on the caliber, mostly.

A stab wound can be MUCH MUCH harder to survive than a small caliber bullet wound.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

A stab wound can be MUCH MUCH harder to survive than a small caliber bullet wound.:)
It sounds as if a concealed knife might be a better alternative.

"Plus we don't get to carry the guns around, nor are we allowed to leave them around the house. Plus, you have to be licensed to purchase a gun. Plus the far majority of the 11 million guns are long guns." Does this apply to criminals too, or are they exempt?
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

jclalor

In some cases it is.

But in some cases, a base rig is better than a SD rig.

In some cases, a 4x4 is better than a FWD.

The best scenario is to know how to use both, and have both on hand for what the occasion brings you.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

kallend

************I bet the victims of this attack wish they had guns to defend themselves with.

I know Canada would still be better in this respect, but I wonder what the US data would look like if you removed Detroit, New Orleans, and the DC-Baltimore metro area.
cavete terrae.

jclalor

Some are just too damn hard to conceal

Just sayin;)

+1

wow, they managed to come up with ONE example......to compare to the tens of thousands of gun incidents and murders that happen every year, and then state it somehow as statistically significant?

yep, we are fucked as a society

rickjump1

"Plus we don't get to carry the guns around, nor are we allowed to leave them around the house. Plus, you have to be licensed to purchase a gun. Plus the far majority of the 11 million guns are long guns." Does this apply to criminals too, or are they exempt?

No criminals are not exempt. Very few people are exempt. However, like any law ever made, people do break them. However, far less people use firearms to break the law in Canada than in the US.

Maybe it is because there are significantly less guns readily available, or maybe Canadians are just far less criminal or violent.

(on a more serious note, the ready availability of ammunition plays a large role as well. As in, it isn't as easy to get in Canada)

SkyDekker

No criminals are not exempt. Very few people are exempt. However, like any law ever made, people do break them. However, far less people use firearms to break the law in Canada than in the US.

Maybe it is because there are significantly less guns readily available, or maybe Canadians are just far less criminal or violent.

(on a more serious note, the ready availability of ammunition plays a large role as well. As in, it isn't as easy to get in Canada)

Nah... I think its just the hibernation cycle... the violent criminals do not want to go outside and freeze to death for 6 months out of the year.

"Maybe it is because there are significantly less guns readily available, or maybe Canadians are just far less criminal or violent."

Maybe it's because there are just far less of you than us?

Could you please clarify just why, "maybe Canadians are far less criminal or violent."

I'm sure you could show us the error of our ways.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

grue

***************I bet the victims of this attack wish they had guns to defend themselves with.

I know Canada would still be better in this respect, but I wonder what the US data would look like if you removed Detroit, New Orleans, and the DC-Baltimore metro area.

Well, taking back DC in 1814 was clearly a mistake. Should have let them keep it.

Maybe it's because there are just far less of you than us?

Maybe, but when you look at a ratio per 100, you find out that isn't the case.

Could you please clarify just why, "maybe Canadians are far less criminal or violent."

Sorry my friend, we are just too polite to be violent :P