rhaig

no-knock warrants must suck for cops

GeorgiaDon

The system is inherently corrupting, and stinks to high heaven.

Not just Texas: http://www.ksbw.com/news/central-california/salinas/king-city-police-chief-miller-and-exchief-baldiviez-arrested/24662946

I am very sympathetic to the good/clean cops, and I do believe they are still the significant majority. It must be incredibly disheartening to face daily an image grotesquely stained by the actions of some other officers.

aphid

Not just Texas: http://www.ksbw.com/news/central-california/salinas/king-city-police-chief-miller-and-exchief-baldiviez-arrested/24662946

I am very sympathetic to the good/clean cops, and I do believe they are still the significant majority. It must be incredibly disheartening to face daily an image grotesquely stained by the actions of some other officers.

^^^^^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^^^

But until the good ones behind that thin blue line step up and rid themselves of the psychos it will just continue to deteriorate.. more innocent civilians will die... you know.. the WE THE PEOPLE who have been incorrectly led to believe are being protected and served.[:/]

Have the cops raided the wrong place in the past. Yep. Did they want to?

In the case above? Seems like it, yeah.

In my experience, they try really hard to do it right.

Except in cases like GeorgiaDon's, or the Rampart scandal, or numerous others where certain law enforcement departments simply become another branch of Organised Crime.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

***^^^^^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^^^

But until the good ones behind that thin blue line step up and rid themselves of the psychos it will just continue to deteriorate..

And that, folks, is just how some people look at African Americans and criminality, or Muslims and terrorism. :)
Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

***...until the good ones behind that thin blue line step up and rid themselves of the psychos it will just continue to deteriorate...

And that, folks, is just how some people look at African Americans and criminality, or Muslims and terrorism. :)
Wendy P.

I'm having a little trouble parsing your comment. Are you trying to say the sentiment is comparable in both cases and generally unreasonable, or are you trying to say one needs to be careful with the concept of demanding the good speak up, because if you extend it to a group like blacks or muslims you'll find the good owe no one an explanation of the bad behavior?

The latter I get, the former I don't. I don't think these are comparable in the least.

About a year ago when Dorner was on the loose, the Torrance Police (the next town over from me) went full pants-on-head crazy. Eight cops turned one pickup and a few houses behind it into swiss cheese, and another pair of officers rammed a pickup and got out and started shooting at it. Neither of these vehicles matched the make, model, or color of the suspect vehicle. To date, none of 10 officers involved have been, charged, fined, or fired for this. Last I heard they are "still reviewing potential disciplinary actions."

I think police made Dorner's point in the way they conducted themselves while trying to get revenge apprehend him.

Amazon

***Your last sentence is awesome.

I didn't fear the cops when I was a kid, I respected them.
That is no longer true.;)[:/]

^^^^^^ THIS

That was when they were actually protecting and serving WE The People.[:/]:(

The vast majority of us, still do.
But, we will always be shown negatively in every situation, negative news, like sex, sells.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

matthewcline

******Your last sentence is awesome.

^^^^^^ THIS

But, we will always be shown negatively in every situation, negative news, like sex, sells.

Matt

Not all Matt.. but I hope the hell you know what I am talking about...

What is the actual death toll up to in this country by Blue, Green, or Brown on civilian by Blue, Green, or Brown uniforms being very fast on triggers. The police are literally given the power of life and death over those of us that they used to be charged with protecting and serving.

Do you think that not instantly "complying" with an officers demand is a good reason to shoot someone? I do not know about you... but I see this day after day and it is getting a bit old. You might get the idea we are living in a police state, with the police being the arbiter of handing out lessons at the point of clubs and guns. Power seems to be corrupting many officers.. and that corruption corrupts some absolutely. [:/][:/]

I know its a tough job I have family members who wear the uniform, but as someone on the other side of that thin blue line.. I no longer trust those on the other side not to harm me in some way for being in the wrong place with a feral human with little compassion for their fellow human beings just looking for an excuse to power trip his way to another notch.:S

matthewcline

******Your last sentence is awesome.

^^^^^^ THIS

Matt

Amen Matt-

I am reminded of something my father repeated from somewhere- To paraphrase- 'The spectrum of changing behavior (and to some extent philosophies) ranges from persuasion to reward to compulsion. Humans are diverse enough and contrary enough to require the use of every nuance in that spectrum.
With that in mind, some here ought to try a ride-along with a local agency. The work just might be different than they assert it to be.

Amazon

^^^^^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^^^

But until the good ones behind that thin blue line step up and rid themselves of the psychos it will just continue to deteriorate.. more innocent civilians will die... you know.. the WE THE PEOPLE who have been incorrectly led to believe are being protected and served.[:/]

Exactly! .. So why oh why will they NOT ever do this?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

With that in mind, some here ought to try a ride-along with a local agency. The work just might be different than they assert it to be.

"Hey, Mr. Police Chief. Can I go on a ride along to one of your no-knock busts?"
"No."
"Okay."
"You can ride along with Jones. His beat is the upper middle class white neighborhood."
"Sounds boring."
"Yep."

My wife is hotter than your wife.

lawrocket

"Hey, Mr. Police Chief. Can I go on a ride along to one of your no-knock busts?"
"No."
"Okay."
"You can ride along with Jones. His beat is the upper middle class white neighborhood."
"Sounds boring."
"Yep."

The ride alongs in our local community are a nearly endless series of traffic stops to generate revenue.

I was amazed they did not issue those special Georgia State Patrol approved mirror sunglasses

There are a lot of reports on the net this subject. For sake of brevity and NOT cherry picking, here are some additional facts that might be important.

1. An informant claimed Magee had 12-14 plants, 6' tall. Texas Rangers found two plants no more than 6" tall with seedlings. Informant claimed Magee had a stolen weapon. Three weapons were found in a gun safe and one weapon was out; probably the one that killed Det. Sowders.

2. The suspect had no violent priors but was arrested twice for DUI and twice for minor drug offenses.

3. Det. Sowders requests a judge to issue a no knock no notice warrant for fear of suspect flushing evidence down the toilet. The raid is carried out a 0600. Suspect claims he did not hear the police announce in spite of police claims that they announced themselves. Det. Sowders initiates the dynamic entry, startles the suspect, the suspect hearing the loud noise and the shape of a human being in his residence, fires his weapon and subsequently kills Det. Sowders.

4. After three hours before the Grand Jury in Burelson County, Texas, the DA presents evidence and points of law on capital murder and self defense. The Grand Jury determined insufficient evidence to prove Magee knew the intruders were police.

OBSERVATIONS
Bad intelligence from an informant that may not have been checked out for validity. The suspect had a criminal record but no prior violence. Was a realistic risk assessment made? Were alternate scenarios considered to apprehend the suspect by other methods that would have de-escalated the violence?

1. An informant claimed Magee had 12-14 plants, 6' tall...

3. Det. Sowders requests a judge to issue a no knock no notice warrant for fear of suspect flushing evidence down the toilet.

They have big toilets in Texas?

jakee

3. Det. Sowders requests a judge to issue a no knock no notice warrant for fear of suspect flushing evidence down the toilet.

You beat me to it. I think this shows the ridiculousnness as much as anything...

lawrocket

You beat me to it. I think this shows the ridiculousnness as much as anything...

He could flush many items down a toilet, all of which could be evidence. It will take the supporting documentation, and maybe the Judges recollection of what the Officer said, to better know though.

Matt

Jeez, no-one goes for the "Everything's bigger in Texas" punchline? I'm disappointed in you guys:|

And Matthew, surely anyone could have incriminating evidence in their home that they could flush down a toilet - but unless you have actionable information suggesting that to be the case it's irrelevant, right? Otherwise you could start serving no knock warrants on traffic tickets. You never know what you might find.

Otherwise you could start serving no knock warrants on traffic tickets.

I understand the intent of the humor. Yet your humor is striking way too close to the truth of some situations. SWAT teams are now being used for a variety of scenarios. About a year and a half ago, A SWAT team raided a house (no knock dynamic entry) in Stockton, California because a woman no longer married to the man living there and NOT living at the residence was behind in her federal student loan payments. The ex-husband and the kids she left behind got a very rude awakening that morning.

Radley Balko has written a book, "The Rise of The Warrior Cop." in it he traces how American Law Enforcement has developed since the founding of the country and I think he makes an argument that should not be ignored.

The sad thing in all of this is that a cop did not have to die but the cop who died "planned the op." Was there a better way in arresting the suspect? A principle from Sun-Tzu, "To win without fighting is best!" Or put another way, with sufficient thought and effort, the same objective can be achieved without violence. I guess we'll never know.

Yet your humor is striking way too close to the truth of some situations

Indeed. Who here knows that the EPA conducts SWAT-style raids to conduct paperwork inspections? Sounds ludicrous, but it happens.

Or that organic farms and raw milk producers are regularly the subject of such raids?

Or raiding Gibson Guitars because there was a rumor that banned ebony was being used?

Or being used to break up charity poker games to benefit a food bank?

lawrocket

Indeed. Who here knows that the EPA conducts SWAT-style raids to conduct paperwork inspections? Sounds ludicrous, but it happens.

Or that organic farms and raw milk producers are regularly the subject of such raids?

Or raiding Gibson Guitars because there was a rumor that banned ebony was being used?

Jackboots.. ded someone mention Jackboots

http://progressivepopulist.org/2014/03/02/video-shows-man-suffering-deliverance-style-treatment-small-town-texas-cops-video/

Love this one.

lawrocket

Feds. All we should have, is the FBI at that level with "Police Authority".

Matt

matthewcline

Feds. All we should have, is the FBI at that level with "Police Authority".

Matt

It has always amazed me how many different law enforcement agencies the US has at all different levels.