airdvr

The Pro Choice agenda is working.

http://cnsnews.com/sites/default/files/documents/Pregnancy%20Outcomes%20%20NYC%20Health%202012.pdf

They're being killed off at an astounding rate. Yes, I am trolling. I'm a supporter of abortion, but not as a sole means of birth control and not at the rate currently being seen in NYC.

"This survey tells us that women want and deserve more choices, not more abortion," said Meg McDonnell, a spokeswoman for the Chiaroscuro Foundation. "New York's elected officials should take a close look at this data and work on making abortions rarer, not more commonplace and more dangerous. Those pushing for this legislation are far out of the mainstream and they need to be called on it."
New York City has one of the highest abortion ratios in America. Forty percent of viable pregnancies end in abortion in the five boroughs today -- almost double the national average -- and nearly 60% of viable African-American pregnancies in the city are aborted every year.
http://www.nyc41percent.com/

I thought this part was particularly interesting...;"New York's elected officials should take a close look at this data and work on making abortions rarer, not more commonplace and more dangerous. I'm guessing things like the pill or condoms are not available in New York?
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

http://cnsnews.com/sites/default/files/documents/Pregnancy%20Outcomes%20%20NYC%20Health%202012.pdf

...I'm a supporter of abortion, but not as a sole means of birth control and not at the rate currently being seen in NYC.

If the rate in NYC is not acceptable, what rate is acceptable? If abortion is acceptable, why does the number of occurrences matter?

*** If abortion is acceptable, why does the number of occurrences matter?

Because even though it's allowed, it's still a lousy thing to do to yourself and the unborn.
Kind of like smoking cigarettes. It's allowable, but a lousy thing to do yourself and others.
So reducing the instances of those allowable but lousy things, would be good.

And that's better than a total ban, which is against individual freedom and leads to black markets, crime, and even worse bad things, like back-alley botched abortions.

airdvr

They're being killed off at an astounding rate. Yes, I am trolling. I'm a supporter of abortion, but not as a sole means of birth control and not at the rate currently being seen in NYC.

"This survey tells us that women want and deserve more choices, not more abortion," said Meg McDonnell, a spokeswoman for the Chiaroscuro Foundation. "New York's elected officials should take a close look at this data and work on making abortions rarer, not more commonplace and more dangerous. Those pushing for this legislation are far out of the mainstream and they need to be called on it."
New York City has one of the highest abortion ratios in America. Forty percent of viable pregnancies end in abortion in the five boroughs today -- almost double the national average -- and nearly 60% of viable African-American pregnancies in the city are aborted every year.
http://www.nyc41percent.com/

I thought this part was particularly interesting...;"New York's elected officials should take a close look at this data and work on making abortions rarer, not more commonplace and more dangerous. I'm guessing things like the pill or condoms are not available in New York?

If conservatives had anything to do about it.. they would be banned too.. as they try to do in the blue pill King James Bible states, "And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth".

Boogers

Because even though it's allowed, it's still a lousy thing to do to yourself and the unborn. Kind of like smoking cigarettes. It's allowable, but a lousy thing to do yourself and others. So reducing the instances of those allowable but lousy things, would be good.

And that's better than a total ban, which is against individual freedom and leads to black markets, crime, and even worse bad things, like back-alley botched abortions.

yes to the first part
YES to the second part

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Boogers

*** If abortion is acceptable, why does the number of occurrences matter?

Because even though it's allowed, it's still a lousy thing to do to yourself and the unborn.

Since it's a lousy thing to do to them, they must have some kind rights, then? If they had no rights, it would not matter what you do them, lousy or otherwise, right?

If it's a lousy thing to do to the unborn, why is ok to do it?

NewGuy2005

If it's a lousy thing to do to the unborn, why is ok to do it?

Because most people care more about the free-choice rights of the "mother", then of the right to life of the unborn baby...

That's a lousy answer, but it's the truthful answer.

Yes, I put "mother" in quotes because I don't think it would be correct to call someone a "mother" if they're going to kill their baby. A mother would nurture and care for a baby.

Someone will probably get all mad at me now - I've impugned motherhood...

Isn't it odd how we make it a crime to harm the unhatched eggs of certain species of animals, yet it's perfectly okay to kill our own unborn?

And just think about that quote in the original post: there are more black babies being aborted, than are born alive.

And at the same time, we think it's horrible that some European country gave the right to die to terminally ill children.

And people think that Wendy Davis gal running for governor down in Texas is just super great, because she's in favor of killing babies.

What in the hell is this world coming to?

Okay, that's the end of my stream of consciousness on this topic, for the moment.

Boogers

***If it's a lousy thing to do to the unborn, why is ok to do it?

Because most people care more about the free-choice rights of the "mother", then of the right to life of the unborn baby...

What in the hell is this world coming to?

Orwellian New Speak is what the conservative world has come to.

Pro Life people who really only support a new life till its born.. then that baby better have industrial strength bootstraps to pull itself up with.

The Pro- Lifer is really PRO DEATH... Pro War...Pro Starvation of the poor... Pro death penalty... Pro Pollution of air and water leading to cancers in millions of former fetus and on and on.

Personally I prefer abortion to unwanted children born to unprepared and unfit parent or parents.

Adoption is only a good alternative when the parents are taking care of their health at time of conception and the mother does so through the pregnancy.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

stevebabin

Outlawing abortion won't stop people from getting them.
People have short memories.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/03/health/views/03essa.html?_r=4&

Outlawing murder, rape, robbery, etc. doesn't stop those from happening either. Guess we should just make everything legal.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

stevebabin

Outlawing abortion won't stop people from getting them.

The wealthy and very hypocritical conservative folk did not have to worry about things like that... It seems there were ALWAYS abortion solutions on demand for the "people that matter"

Abortion is nearly impossible to get in most of this country.. and getting more difficult.. all the while shutting down women's health services and abilities to get birth control as well.. BUT.. many of us do notice that the little blue pills for all the limp dicks out there in those red states are still readily available and paid for without question.

This spells it out pretty well, I think.

The worst case I saw, and one I hope no one else will ever have to face, was that of a nurse who was admitted with what looked like a partly delivered umbilical cord. Yet as soon as we examined her, we realized that what we thought was the cord was in fact part of her intestine, which had been hooked and torn by whatever implement had been used in the abortion. It took six hours of surgery to remove the infected uterus and ovaries and repair the part of the bowel that was still functional.

It is important to remember that Roe v. Wade did not mean that abortions could be performed. They have always been done, dating from ancient Greek days.

What Roe said was that ending a pregnancy could be carried out by medical personnel, in a medically accepted setting, thus conferring on women, finally, the full rights of first-class citizens — and freeing their doctors to treat them as such.

Waldo L. Fielding was an obstetrician and gynecologist in Boston for 38 years. He is the author of “Pregnancy: The Best State of the Union” (Thomas Y. Crowell, 1971).

"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

devildog

***Outlawing abortion won't stop people from getting them.

Outlawing murder, rape, robbery, etc. doesn't stop those from happening either. Guess we should just make everything legal.

Party of Family Values FAIL:S:S

Anti-choice GOP Congressman pushed mistress to get abortion

Republican Congressman from Tennessee and physician Dr. Scott DesJarlais' website says "All life should be cherished and protected. We are pro-life." But when it comes to knocking up his mistress while claiming to want to reconcile with his wife, he had this to say:

"You told me you'd have an abortion, and now we're getting too far along without one," DesJarlais tells the woman at one point in the call while negotiating with her over whether he'll reveal her identity to his wife. They then discuss whether he will accompany her to a procedure to end the sort of life the congressman now describes as "sacred."

"If we need to go to Atlanta, or whatever, to get this solved and get it over with so we can get on with our lives, then let's do it," Desjarlais says.

“Well, we’ve got to do something soon. And you’ve even got to admit that because the clock is ticking right?” he says at another point.
Scott DesJarlais admitted in court to cheating on his wife at least four times. He's run as a typical Tea Party Republican, voting for anti-choice legislation repeatedly. But when it comes to bedding one of his patients and trying to weasel out of it in true jerk form, he can't wait to make a beeline for the clinic in Atlanta.
Like all Republicans, he think's women's rights are awful, except when it comes to protecting themselves.

Because there isn't a black-or-white answer that works. Because the rights of one can only happen at the expense of the rights of the other sometimes. Because the health of one can only happen at the expense of the other sometimes.

You really can't have both sometimes.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)